Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to create a virtual drive of a non bootable drive ?

through which we can see the preview of the drive without clicking on the original drive.

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 15, 2013 10:41 PM

23 replies

Dec 15, 2013 10:48 PM in response to Aaavi

macsales.com sells good "on-to-go" enclosures to hold drives. Even if the drive is non-bootable it may still be reconizable as "simple data".

My local Microcenter (many specialized computer parts) or Fry's (if you have a Fry's instead of a Microcenter) sells $20 adapters that are not full enclosures to mount a drive for viewing.

Dec 16, 2013 8:23 AM in response to Aaavi

Aaavi wrote:

I just want to know that which command or apple script is used to create a virtual drive of a drive ?

I'm sorry, but it's not clear what you're asking. 'Virtual drive of a drive' could mean a lot of things, but doesn't mean much at all without explanation. can you explain in detail what you're trying to accomplish?

and please, when I ask for detail I mean detail. If what you write next is less than 250 words you will not be providing enough detail.

Dec 16, 2013 9:51 PM in response to twtwtw

I have a disk which have 6 partitions , and I don't know how but one partition is get corrupted and I am trying to correct it programmatically, without using any software.

But I am not sure that the operation I performed on the drive is feasible or not i.e it make the drive correct or not.

So I want to generate a virtual drive of that drive through which I can can see the changes made in the actual drive is correct or not.

And the virtual drive which I'm trying to create must be able to mount i.e shown in the 'Disk Utility'.

User uploaded file

The purpose behind creating the virtiual drive is to see the changes that we made in the original drive is correct or not, if they are correct then we save the changes of original drive otherwise performred more operations and saw them through the preview of virtual drive.

Jan 8, 2014 1:55 AM in response to Aaavi

If you ever saw the working of 'subst' command in windows, then you will easily understand what I'm trying to explain.

The 'subst' command is used to create the virtual drive of a drive, we just provide the alphabet for the virtual drive.

This creates the entity of the drive having another name.

So the same work i'd like to do in Mac i.e to create a virtual drive of a drive whether it is a external drive.

Daemon tool do the same thing, it creates the virtual drive.

So you please help me for this.

Is ther any command in Mac or any apple script to create the virtual drive, please tell.

Important thing is that the drive is non bootable.

Jan 8, 2014 9:47 PM in response to etresoft

This is not the solution of problem, this creates the dmg of the drive but we need to create the virtual drive i.e a kind of mirror image having same data , same size , same attributes etc.

Use Disk Utility > New > Disk Image from ... (folder or device)

This only create the dmg of the drive having different size capacity and attributes not same as the original drive.

So is there any comand or script to create virtual drive ?????

Jan 9, 2014 10:29 PM in response to Keith Barkley

Alias can never be mount, but the virtual drive I want to create must be able to mount and unmount.User uploaded file

Desktop having both original and virtual drive.

User uploaded file

My system is booted from 'Snow leopard' and I've an another drive, name 'Disk Testing' so by using a software I create the virtual drivre of 'Disk Testing' as you can see in the image. Both the drives are identical to each other and both are able to mount and unmount, they are having same data and attributes.

So I want to create exactly this kind of virtual drive by using any apple script or command.i.e without using any software.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.