Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PDF displays fine, but prints garbage

I'm stumped on this one... I've been using MacOS X since the Public Beta came out in 2000, and I've never run into anything like this when working with PDF files.

My Natural Gas provider - Atmos Energy - allows me to download PDF copies of old statements from their website. The PDF downloads as expected, opens in Preview without any issues, and displays the statement perfectly.

Then I print the PDF to my Lexmark X546dtn color laser. It prints out, but all of the account-specific text has been replaced with garbled ASCII characters. The overall structure of the statement prints correctly (lines, shapes, logos, etc) as does the generic text that they include as information for every customer (i.e. Call us immediately if you smell gas). But everything else is complete garbage.

A couple of examples... (Visible on Screen -> What's Printed Instead):

PREVIOUS BALANCE -> KQSSQGT)QG<RP:N*QRGI

05/10/13 -> 3<C=3C=D

PAST DUE AFTER -> MN3*)LO!)N<*!P

When I Select All (text) in the PDF in Preview, it copies / pastes the correct strings into a text editor. When I choose "Export to PDF" the file it creates, however, has the same garbled text that shows up when I print it on my Lexmark.

I've submitted a support request to Atmos, but don't have very high expectations that they'll be able to offer any help. I'm really not sure what's going on here, any ideas?

In case it helps, the "PDF Producer" is listed as "StreamServe Communication Server 5.5.0 GA Build 1684".

Thanks!

-Mason

Mac Pro (Early 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9), 12 GB, 7 TB, 2x GT-120s w/ 24" LEDs

Posted on Dec 15, 2013 9:50 PM

8 replies

Mar 8, 2017 11:11 AM in response to Mason Brown

Has this issue been resolved? And if so ,how?

We are experiencing a similar issue as well on our Macs that we upgraded to Sierra. Our IBM midrange system generates PDF invoices which has been working fine for ages. Immediately after upgrading to Sierra, those same PDF's will cause our printers to freeze, many requiring a power-down/restart to clear the print queue. Those same PDF's will print fine on Windows machines.

This is really unfortunate. I will try using Adobe Acrobat but I should not have to on a Mac. That's what the built-in PDF subsystem is supposed to do, and that's what makes it a great that I don't have to load 3rd-party packages for something so basic.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 11, 2017 1:37 AM in response to Gmon750

No it has not been fixed. Am experiencing the same problem since upgrading to Sierra. Even Adobe pdf application also prints gibberish on the Mac. On Windows it prints fine. Am just fortunate i have both windows and Mac at work. I mean one can't even print forms and invoices.

Like i've noticed, the quality of the  MacOS is deteriorating but I will still stick with it anytime as I know what I go through on other platforms. Just hope this is fixed. Preview is easily one of the programs i use a lot working at a University.

Please if anyone has found a fix, kindly share.

Dec 15, 2013 10:40 PM in response to Mason Brown

A bit more info before I move on to more productive endeavors this evening...

I fired up Windows XP in VMware to see if Adobe Reader under Windows XP would be able to handle the file correctly. Nope, but at least it gives an error message that may point to the problem. Adobe Reader says "Cannot find or create the font 'WFQXRK+AA0101+Verdana-Bold'. Some characters may not display or print correctly." I'm guessing the dynamically generated document is being created with an invalid font name (server-side bug). Preview probably auto-substitutes a standard font for displaying the PDF onscreen, but when the PDF is sent to the printer it's probably sent as a native PDF, invalid font-name and all.

Screenshot attached...

User uploaded file

-Mason

Jan 17, 2014 9:10 AM in response to Mason Brown

Just got mine to print fine using Acrobat Reader to view/print instead of Preview or Safari (both of those viewed fine, printed garbage).

Should have thought of that myself, but got the idea here.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3148492

There's a little chatter about not using AR as default PDF app. I don't, just ctrl-click and open with AR if it's a problematic one.

--Ben

PDF displays fine, but prints garbage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.