Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Freeze on softwareupdatelauncher

I've tried update to OSX Update 10.9.1, but it keep freezing when my computer rebooted.

What's going on here?

I can't find any similar history here.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 17, 2013 4:30 AM

54 replies

Dec 17, 2013 5:06 AM in response to WhiteCrow9

If you are using any system maintenance software, stop doing so. System cache cleaners actually do more harm than good. The only maintenance Macs need is a backup on the Mac OS X system. The worst is Mackeeper, whose removal directions are only possible through these directions.

If your machine is over 85% full, try cleaning it up. You may need to get an external hard drive or Flash drive to install an operating system onto of at least 16 GB if you can't boot directly.

Resetting the PRAM can help if the machine is under four years old if the update has already applied.

If your update hasn't applied, make sure your internet router firmware is up to date.

If none of the above helps, and you aren't backed up, and can't get to backing up, recover your data first.

Then you can look at your directory.

Dec 17, 2013 5:29 AM in response to WhiteCrow9

I am having this same problem too. When restarting it gets stuck on a gray screen with the topbar that says 'SoftwareUpdateLauncher'. The machine is not frozen, I can still move the mouse and select menu options (although no dialogs pop up when selecting anything) but it just never proceeds with the shutdown and stays on this screen. I have to hold down the power button to shut it down. It only started occuring after installing the OSX Update 10.9.1. I ran the Mavericks installer again but that did not help. My machine is an iMac Mid 2011.

Dec 17, 2013 5:38 AM in response to WhiteCrow9

Same here. I can no longer properly restart the machine, it gets stuck on 'SoftwareUpdateLauncher'. What is also strange is that I'm now in a strange limbo with this update. The App store says 1 update avaiable "OS X Update 10.9.1" while the section that lists updates installed in the last 30 days also contains "OS X Update 10.9.1". Trying to install it again from the App store just creates another entry under updates installed in the last 30 days and hangs in the same place ('SoftwareUpdateLauncher'). I now have 3 entries for "OS X Update 10.9.1" under updates installed in the last 30 days.

Under "About This Mac" is shows I'm still running 10.9 (13A603) so update clearly didn't apply.

Dec 17, 2013 6:46 AM in response to UnfadingLight

This is exactly what is happening to me with it showing in both the installed updates and the updates needing to be installed.

Brody,

it has nothing to do with connectivity or their server being busy. I tried installing the update by downloading it rather than applying it through the app store updates and got the same result. As for other system maintenance software that does not apply either.

Dec 17, 2013 11:20 AM in response to WhiteCrow9

I had the same problem and was able to resolve it.

After trying to install it via App Store as well as manually everything ended up with the gray screen and the menu bar. So I had a closer look at the menu bar and their items. Most of the items were deactivated, but the ones in the Apple menu weren't. So I played around with those.

I can't say for sure which item finally resolved the problem but I suspect that after I've hit Log Out and then hit the enter key (maybe even a few times) it continued and finally installed the update.

I also tried the Restart item but as I've already tried that one in an earlier try I guess it doesn't help.

Maybe hitting Log Out as well as the enter key helps some other people here!

Freeze on softwareupdatelauncher

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.