Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro slow after version 10.9.1

Yesterday I installed version 10.9.1 and I my MacBook Pro is as slow as it could be. What should I do? Is anyone having this trouble?

Thank you!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Dec 18, 2013 4:57 PM

26 replies

Dec 18, 2013 5:19 PM in response to Claudia from Mexico

Find out what finder web content is. I dont see it on my machne, and anything "not responding" is bad. generally sitting there churning and using up power.

Indexing is a term for when the computer looks at all the files you have and builds an index, sorted, that it can search quickly. This is how spotlight works. When you do an upgrade, tens of gigs of files change, and everything needs to be indexed. For 5-20 hours thigs are slow. It also spends time optimising files, and speeds up slowly. But it sounds like you have a clear issue. End that process, and find out what it is. If its some weird web site - fon't go there. If its some 3rd party add on software, it may be flaky.

For comparison, here's what my machine looks like - nearly idle.

User uploaded file

G

Dec 18, 2013 5:23 PM in response to Grant Lenahan

I'm a little bit new to Mac systems (and just started here!!!) and I haven't had time to really get into things, so I feel kind of lost. so, thankyou for your explanation, it was very clear. But I think this is the first time that an update slows my Mac. As I said, I quit the process, and I tried to look for it in the web, but I need to finish some work now, so, it will have to wait, maybe till tomorrow. Thank you so much, Grant!!!

Dec 18, 2013 5:40 PM in response to Grant Lenahan

I turned the machine off and left the Activity Monitor open, so, when I turned it on again it didn't show me that awful process!! I0ll never know what it was. I usually use Safari when I'm working, but with dictionaries and stuff like that. sometimes, Facebook, but just sometimes. As far as I know, I didn't open no new websites, so it will be very hard to find out. But I must thank you again for my experience here, Grant! I'm starting to feel like I felt when I used PCs, eventhough I just learned a tiny bit of Mac inside!!! 🙂

Dec 24, 2013 9:14 AM in response to Grant Lenahan

I have a similar problem with my 2008 Mac Pro. After "upgrading" to 10.9.1 everything related to finder is slow as ****: even opening a little image preview takes up to 30 seconds and makes the finder "not responding" with the mouse icon rolling colorful.

I tried checking the activity monitor but couldn't find anything strange there. It's been several days now and i even left the MP on for 24 hours hoping it was an indexing issue, but nothing changed.

Any suggestion would be really appreciated.

Thank you very much,

Gabriele

Dec 24, 2013 9:51 AM in response to evilbunnysamurai

Gabriele,

After all this discussion, I found out that the problem I was having was that some files, converted with Acrobat from PDF to Word format, were opening a process called "Finder Web content" and this process was using almost my complete memory. I could see it on the Memory tab on Activity Monitor. All I did was quit (force quit) this process and the memory is almost totally available again. Naturally, when I open one of these files, it opens again and I have to quit it once more.

I don't know if it will help you, because it's a very specific case, but maybe it has something to do with problems with Finder raised from this last update. Let's hope someone from Apple sees this discussion and have a solution for it!

For now, have a Merry Christmas, Gabriele! You too, Grant!

Cláudia

Dec 25, 2013 3:52 AM in response to Claudia from Mexico

Hi Claudia, thank you very much for your reply but unfortunately i can't see such process in the activity monitor.

I tried repairing the disk but nothing changed, so i decided to reinstall the OS using Apple recovery but again nothing changed (i still got 10.9.1 of course).

If anyone has other suggestions i would be very grateful!

Thank you and merry Christmas everyone:-)

Gabriele

Dec 25, 2013 11:22 AM in response to evilbunnysamurai

Gabriele-

If you have re-insatleld OSX and are still having problems, please (succinctly) outline ths history.

What OS did you have before? What machine configuration? How did it run then? How did oyu upgrade? When? Wghen did the problems begin? Did oyu change anything else? What have you done to diagnose it so far?

There is no reason for it to be that slow, and you seem to have ruled out a corrupted install if you did a clean re-install of OSX.

Grant

Dec 25, 2013 5:12 PM in response to Grant Lenahan

Hi everyone, thak you for your posts. Before you wrote them i decided toinitialize my HD and proceed to reinstall the OS completely. Apparently this worked well and everything seems to be working fine now. I will need to download a lot of programs again but it will be a good chance to select just the ones that i really need.

As for the causes of the massive slowdown i experienced i really don't know what to pick. During the same day i updated the OS from 10.9 to 10.9.1, downloaded LogicX with all its 70GB additional sounds, and erased a windows partition (to make space for Logic): i guess that was just asking too much to my six years old MP.

Thak you anyway and merry christmas and happy new year everyone:-)

Dec 25, 2013 5:35 PM in response to Claudia from Mexico

I had the slow up occur on my Mac as well. There was a delay in the response times for how long it takes for normal actions to occur such as when you open an app. After letting it sit for a while and restarting twice, my Mac was back to normal. This is one update where the optimization took longer than usual after installing, then again 10.7.5 was the worst one and so I reverted that back to 10.7.4.

MacBook Pro slow after version 10.9.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.