Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I keep getting a text message from 'Unknown' and the message says Service Denied???

I keep getting a text message from 'Unknown' and the text says Service Denied. Anyone else having this issue?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 7:47 AM

42 replies

Sep 27, 2015 3:09 PM in response to bluubird

I'm having the same problem. Upgraded old iphone 6 to ios 9, started getting Unknown Service denied text messages while my group SMS (not iMessage) are being received up to 24 hours late by my phone. Spent two hours last Sunday speaking to AT&T and then Apple. Received new iphone 6S two days ago, set up as not phone (not restore) and same result. Random Unknown Service denied text message and receive three separate group SMS texts this morning that were sent yesterday. Very annoying.

Sep 28, 2015 10:00 AM in response to 1010GreenTree

Hey everyone -

I'm having the same issue. I have been having this issue on and off for a while now and thought that maybe the update to iOS 9 would help out. I even replaced my phone with no success in fixing this. After doing a little research, I found another forum thread regarding something similar and I wonder if this could be related to I am not receiving group messages. Has Apple said anything about this at all? A lot of the communication that I do is in group messages for personal and work reasons, has Apple said anything about addressing this issue?

Sep 28, 2015 11:12 AM in response to KiltedTim

In my case I have AT&T and they were the first people I called last week. They immediately forwarded me to Apple. I spoke to Apple again this morning and they said they aren't aware of any issues. All I know is that the problem started when I upgraded to iOS 9 on my old iphone 6 and have the same issue on my iphone 6S even with it set up as a new phone (not a restore). I upgraded to 9.1 public beta today but haven't been able to confirm the issue still exists. I do know that there are several messages from yesterday I still have not received.

Oct 1, 2015 11:34 PM in response to belfourcoll

9.0.2 won't fix it. I have 9.0.2 on my iPhone 6s and this is still happening for me. "Service denied" from unknown number, then after a few hours (up to 24 hours) I receive a large number of backlogged texts. Seems to only happen in group texts where there is a mix of Android and iPhone users.

Problem on my iPhone 5s after updating to iOS 9, then continued to have the same problem after buying a new iPhone 6s and updating to 9.0.2.

Oct 2, 2015 8:01 AM in response to TDUser

I have ordered the 6s, but not received it yet. I have a 6+, now, and you are correct update 9.0.2. did not correct this. I, too, get the "service denied" message when participating in group texts with mixed users. I am also missing texts and images, and get group catch-up messages from time-to-time, but some I never receive...hope that apple fixes this soon. I Called AT&T and they told me that all my appropriate SMS, MMS and texting features are turned on and functioning that this is nothing on the carrier end...I"ve tried turning different message features on and off in my settings without correcting this annoyance. Disappointed.

Oct 2, 2015 11:16 AM in response to juliefromspring hill

I am having the same exact problem. And ATT and Apple keep saying its the others fault. I have done everything known to man. I even did a factory reset, and nothing. I just got an influx of group texts. I really hope they fix the problem, because its driving me nuts. This all started happening after I updated to iOS 9. And 9.0.2 did nothing to fix this as well. Apple get it together! Or ATT! Someone!!

Oct 3, 2015 12:42 PM in response to Cjoli

Getting worse. I've been told by others that the group has been sending me texts for the past 3 days. I never received them, nor an influx. Apple and AT&T both don't know what's wrong. Not going to factory reset again, so I guess no chatting with mixed group from now on. Either iPhone groups, or individual non-iPhone, that's all I can do. Maybe it's time to switch to the other side

I keep getting a text message from 'Unknown' and the message says Service Denied???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.