3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2015 3:05 PM by dstarsboy
cmeags7 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Starting at some point this evening, my iPhone 5 stopped receiving group text messages.  I regularly text 2 groups of people.  One group consists of 2 android phones and myself, and the other group consists of an android phone, an iPhone, and myself.  They receive my messages, but I don't receive theirs.  I can text and receive texts from them individually, although I can't receive pictures from one of the android phones, and the iPhone doesn't always receive my messages.

I chatted online with a verizon tech support man, and we reset my network settings and turned group messaging on and off.  He sent a group message to my iPhone, and I did not receive it.  He asked me to send a group message to him and another of my contacts.  The other contact was an iPhone.  They got my messages, and I received theirs as well. 

Now however, I'm not receiving any group messages at all.  Does it have something to do with iMessage/Apple vs. Android? Is it my phone? Is it Verizon? Has anyone else had this problem?  I'm open to suggestions, and willing to try anything.  It's so frustrating not being able to receive texts.  Is a trip to the Verizon store worth it?

(I should add that Verizon is my service provider.)

Thanks guys!

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4
  • CSall Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I've been having this same problem for well over a year now. I have a 4S and am a Verizon customer. Group messaging works fine as long as all of the other parties have an iPhone. The issue is when at least one of the other parties has a non-iPhone ... In those cases I cannot send or receive group texts. I also cannot send or receive pictures from non-iPhones, even when individually texting.  I wish they would come up with a way to fix this!!

• sleevel Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

This is the solution: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5323646?start=0&tstart=0

In short, you are out of memory in your SMS Attachments folder and the phone won't accept the additional data from the group message/picture message. There is a program called iBackupBot which will solve the problem. It allows you to delete these attachments from the root of the phone. It isn't free but it is worth every penny. I hope this solves your issue because it solved mine.

• dstarsboy Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

This same thing is happening to me. When I have group messages, I receive messages from everyone except any Android users in my group. I've tried everything but it's very annoying. My friend with the same phone as me (iPhone 6) receives the messages fine and I can text the android user 1 v 1 just fine.