Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Design fault? 27" 2013 iMac stand just gave up!

Hi all,

I was just sitting watching TV when there was a loud crack and my iMac screen suddenly tilted down - now the screen will not stay where it is tilted / positioned. I was not using the mac at the time and it was not doing anything it just broke on its own. The mac was only bought in February and has not been moved or tilted once it was in place. This looks like a major design flaw to me as a 10 month mac just fails on its own! Has anyone else suffered this malfunction?

I have yet to contact apple as the store will be closed now but am interested to know if anyone else has suffered the same problem and what apples response was?

I will keep you guys posted once I have spoken to Apple

<Edited by Host>

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), Stand failure

Posted on Dec 28, 2013 9:34 AM

709 replies

Aug 11, 2017 6:02 PM in response to Mr Mo-Fo

The unique mysterious problem with my iMac 5k ( late 2015 )

The day before yesterday my iMac shut down automatically once in the evening at 7pm. After that I used it until 11 pm, shut it down and went off to sleep.

At 2 am, I hear a LOUD noise.

I woke up with a jerk thinking it's the door or window banging.

To my surprise, I see the 'screen' of the iMac on the floor. The body is still on the table ( please see pics ) I could not believe my eyes. This is a very very strange scenario.

How can the screen fall off and the body remain on the table ?

It was very supernatural / ghostly occurrence.

I was very worried / annoyed and could not sleep that night so I went on google and started searching if other people had similar issues.

What I did next :

Today morning I visited Apple store at Mall of Emirates, Dubai and met Mr. M. ( head of technical services from California ) who heard my entire story and was very kind enough to accept my iMac and investigate the issue. He was also very surprised by this strange issue.

At first he said the cost of repair would be approx. AED 2000 but I refused to pay that ( as its not my fault for this defect ) so he asked me to escalate the issue over the phone / email and that's how I got connected to you.

After I left the Apple store, within 30 mins I get a call informing me that there has been NO TAMPERING with my iMac and is has NEVER been opened by anyone before. I told her thanks for the information and iMac is still at the apple store until we reach a resolution.

Finally, APPLE REFUSED to fix this for me. They said its OUT OF WARRANTY. It's RIDICULOUS how Apple is ignoring all these issues and claims to be the most valuable company in the world. I FEEL CHEATED.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

Dec 27, 2017 6:20 PM in response to Mr Mo-Fo

Hi all!

I took the imac to a local reseler, and it qualified for the quality program after 4 years of being bought! the tech guys were informed about the quality issue and replacement program.

It will be about $100.- to have it fixed and mostly because of the tech work, part was free of charge.

below you'll find my quote which, as saidm stands for about US$100.- w/tax

hope you find this useful!

Ramon/SmartPenwin

User uploaded file

Dec 30, 2017 9:27 PM in response to Mr Mo-Fo

Hi all!

I am very happy to report that the repair proceeded, all went well, cost of the work remained at about US$100.- part as a 3-month warranty and didn't add a penny, the reseller/service provided also included a 2nd repair or service free of charge for a year (sort of a membership) for the same $100.

So, If somebody else happens to bump into this same issue do not hesitate to give it a shot, even if you don't have an Apple Store, resellers with authorized service centers should be able to work this out.

Wish you all a very happy new year!

User uploaded file

Jan 30, 2017 7:45 AM in response to Mr Mo-Fo

I was laying in bed last night when I heard the loud pop! Sure enough my 2012 27-inch iMac screen was tilting down. The worst part is that this happened once before and was repaired under AppleCare. So it seems to break every two to three years. It certainly seems like a design flaw. I never move my iMac and rarely adjust the angle of the screen. It seems that Apple recognizes this is a problem (http://www.macrumors.com/2016/11/29/imac-broken-hinge-refunds-repair-program/) and fixes it this time since it's no longer under AppleCare.

Feb 2, 2017 7:03 PM in response to Mr Mo-Fo

The same issue happened to me. I quickly called and asked for a free replacement. Took it to the Apple Store (200 mile round trip), they repaired it, got it back today. The hinge now creaks and cracks. I called Apple back and spoke with a Senior Advisor, who suggested putting WD40 on it... I questioned him thinking he was joking, "Are you kidding? That will not work." He replied saying, "Oh yeah, well I guess you will have to take it back to the Apple Store [another 200 miles] because we cant ship things that are that big."

Very frustrating experience so far.

Feb 2, 2017 7:35 PM in response to Mr Mo-Fo

The old credit card (see the photo from before) works for me like a charm. I am able to swing back and forth, never have any issues. Don't have to run to the store, and it will never break again unless the old plastic credit card will crack, (have been using it for over a year). And if it cracks, I am sure you can find another old card, LOL

Feb 13, 2017 7:49 PM in response to GMSUK

I took my iMac to the Apple Store and was told that they do the stand repair for free regardless of whether the computer is still under AppleCare protection (i.e., regardless of whether you're still under warranty). That suggests that the issue--which given the fact that this discussion is now on its 46th page makes sense--is a known design or manufacturing defect.

If you happen to live in northern NJ and are contemplating having this done, there's one Store that I would strongly advise staying away from based on my experience there. Message me if you're in this position; I don't think this is the appropriate place to call out a particularly ineptly run Store that has clearly stopped trying to live up to anything resembling the Apple brand's self-defined standards for customer service.

Aug 30, 2017 8:23 AM in response to AleBot

When you go back into your Apple Store you can reference them to this thread. You many have to go through the thread to find specifics posts where users have had success with their local Apple Store. If you don't have any luck, request to speak with the store manager and again reference the thread. The more posts you can show them specifics of which store the better. I think this is necessary because AFAIK this is not a large enough issue to cause a repair program, Apple is handle each case on an individual basis.

I also seem to recall seeing some information on the Mac Rumors site some time ago about the problem, you can also print out those articles to show your local store.

Good luck.

Nov 2, 2017 7:50 PM in response to Mr Mo-Fo

Glad I found this thread. Mine is a late 2013 model too. I didn't hear any crack but came in to find the display sagging forward. I have propped it up by wedging something at the back.

I have just chatted to Apple support who have immediately booked me in to my local Apple store this Sunday afternoon, and said it was most likely covered by their hinge repair scheme. All I need is photo ID. Have to back up before going, obviously.

I will need help to physically get it there, these are not meant to be portable. Not sure how long the repair will take. Fingers crossed!

Design fault? 27" 2013 iMac stand just gave up!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.