Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my iphone will not trust my computer, what should i do

Posted on Jan 4, 2014 1:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2014 2:12 AM

After Apple's 10 or so suggestions, including complicated mscongif and regedit approachs, all failed... I found this, easy enough to follow solution that actually worked. in a single user's post in the forums here somewhere. Can't find it again to say thanks to whoever it was, which prompted me to post it everywhere so everyone else can find it:

(Note: this is for Windows 8, but the solution for other versions is similar - you might need to try a few other folders, but are still looking for "Apple Device" under "Device Manager".)

1. Connect your iPad/iPhone/iPod to your PC
  2. Go to: Control Panel > Device Manager
  3. Click on: Portable Devices
  4. Right click on: Apple iPad/iPhone/iPod > Update Driver Software
  5. Choose: Browse my computer for driver software.
  6. Go to: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers

Click okay and everything should suddenly work fine again. (I can't remember if I had to choose "trust" again, but if I did, I only had to do it the once and everything was fixed after that).

35 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2014 2:12 AM in response to drfeelgood2014

After Apple's 10 or so suggestions, including complicated mscongif and regedit approachs, all failed... I found this, easy enough to follow solution that actually worked. in a single user's post in the forums here somewhere. Can't find it again to say thanks to whoever it was, which prompted me to post it everywhere so everyone else can find it:

(Note: this is for Windows 8, but the solution for other versions is similar - you might need to try a few other folders, but are still looking for "Apple Device" under "Device Manager".)

1. Connect your iPad/iPhone/iPod to your PC
  2. Go to: Control Panel > Device Manager
  3. Click on: Portable Devices
  4. Right click on: Apple iPad/iPhone/iPod > Update Driver Software
  5. Choose: Browse my computer for driver software.
  6. Go to: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers

Click okay and everything should suddenly work fine again. (I can't remember if I had to choose "trust" again, but if I did, I only had to do it the once and everything was fixed after that).

Jan 17, 2014 10:18 AM in response to drfeelgood2014

When you connect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to a new computer or another device attempting to access the files of your iOS device, you’ll be asked to verify that you trust the connected device. Tapping Trust will allow this device to access files stored on your iOS device.

If your iOS device is passcode locked, you need to unlock the device before you're asked to trust the connected computer or device.

To trust a computer:

Connect the computer or other device to your iOS device.

If your iOS device is locked with a passcode, unlock it.

Tap Trust.

If you're about to sync the device with iTunes, click Accept.

The trusted computer or device can access the files and settings of your iOS device. A trusted computer can sync with your iOS device, import photos, access movies and videos, contacts, and other such content, until you disconnect. The data stored on your iOS device is not exposed before you enter your passcode (if enabled) and choose to trust the connected computer or device.

If you choose not to trust the connected computer, you can charge your device, but the connected computer won't be able to access any content on your device.

Additional Information

Note: If you select Trust, the computer will be trusted indefinitely. If you select Don't Trust, you will be asked if you want to trust that computer each time you connect your device to that computer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.