Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I set up FaceTime over cellular data (AT&T Unlimited data plan iPhone 5 iOS7)

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me as I called both Apple and AT&T about this issue and they sent me back and fourth to one another endlessly.

I have an iPhone 5 from AT&T with an unlimited data plan. I can only make facetime calls over wifi, but would like to make them over cellular data so that I don't need to be in a wifi area to facetime. On my iphone, in settings>cellular there's a button that says set up facetime over cellular. Upon selecting this, a prompt stating Facetime requires an active wifi connection or an eligible cellular data plan. To enable... contact ATT at 611 or visit www.att.com/mywireless. There's no place on this website to set up facetime eligibility over cellular. Speaking with the ATT reps, they say that I should be able to use facetime over celluar with my plan, and we reset my settings, network settings, restarted the phone, checked that restrictions were not preventing me from using factime, etc.. This did not do the trick, and they transfered me to Apple, which had me do the same things and also did not solve the problem. Apple said that it's a data problem and so it's ATT's business, ATT says it's a Facetime problem so it's Apple's business. The buck is continually passed.

Does anyone know how to resolve this situation?

I am considering either visiting ATT

Posted on Jan 13, 2014 5:53 PM

28 replies

Aug 3, 2017 9:19 AM in response to iamdes23

iamdes23 wrote:

did it cost? what all did they say or you had to have?

Does what cost? Take a look at this support document for help in preparing a question for the forum. Explain things, so people know what kind of help you need. Writing an effective Apple Support Communities question

Also, the post that you responded to is over 3 years old. I doubt that person will respond to you.

Sep 13, 2014 7:00 AM in response to eboria

****** ATT's Customer (dis)Service ****** STILL NO FACETIME OVER CELLULAR.

Thank you for your patience! Your AT&T Representative will be with you shortly.

Welcome! You are now chatting with 'Holly Davidson'

Holly Davidson: Hi Vinit! I see you are having some trouble with facetime today, I would be happy to help you!

Holly Davidson: Are we working with the line ending in 4848?

Vinit: yes

Vinit: actually i need it enabled on both lines

Holly Davidson: I understand, just one moment while I pull up your account information and details.

Vinit: ok

Holly Davidson: While I am doing this, tell me how your experience has been with us here at ATT! 🙂

Vinit: if you help me out with this .. all good 🙂 the last person I spoke gave me a link from google.. which I had already read. Looks like she did not understand that ATT has to enable it and not that its a setup thing at my end. When I told her that she redirected me to a random contact us page. So i'm a little dissapointed

Holly Davidson: I am so sorry, let me see what information I can find on this for you.

Holly Davidson: With a Wi-Fi connection and an Apple ID, you can make and receive FaceTime calls (first sign in using your Apple ID, or create a new account). On iPhone 4S or later, you can also make FaceTime calls over a cellular data connection, which may incur additional charges. To turn off this feature, go to Settings > Cellular. [Why would someone ask a customer to go back to where he came from. Clearly no idea what to do. Are the reps trained or just following a preset decision tree?]

Vinit: yeah I have done that

Vinit: when i go to settings > cellular

Vinit: it says go to att.com

Vinit: and now you're sending me back there

Vinit: circular reference'

Holly Davidson: Can I have you turn your device off for me/

Holly Davidson: *?

Vinit: hang on

Holly Davidson: No problem

Vinit: its off

Holly Davidson: thank you

Holly Davidson: I am not able to enable facetime, this application is not a feature that we here at ATT control. I do apologize for your inability to use this feature on your device.

Vinit: so what do i do?

Vinit: apple does not control it.

Holly Davidson: May I have your current zip code? I would like to check your network area and see if there are any issues that you should be made aware of with service.

Vinit: its a network restruction

Vinit: 92078

Vinit: I am on LTE

Holly Davidson: Thank you

Holly Davidson: Just one moment while I check your surrounding area.

Holly Davidson: There are several towers in your area that are undergoing maintenance at this time, which could be effecting your service.

Vinit: what

Holly Davidson: I am showing restoral dates on these towers from today up until the 20th.

Vinit: maintenance since a month?

Vinit: This seems like an excuse.Are you telling me facetime all over san diego would not work

Vinit: it does not work in other zip codes either

Holly Davidson: first reported issues on these towers was on 8/20. No, I am not saying that at all. I am saying that in this particular area you may experience some service issues.

Vinit: what about 92122

Vinit: i've tried facetime in several places

Vinit: outside of 92078

Vinit: it never works over cellular

Vinit: it used but not recently

Holly Davidson: Let me check that area also.

Holly Davidson: I am showing towers in that area also that are under maintenance at this time. I have a restoral of those towers dated for the 16th.

Vinit: can you tell me a zip code that is guaranteed to work?

Vinit: i've tried 92127 as well

Vinit: i'm sure there are towers issues there

Vinit: Your last representative gave me this link: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5784591

Vinit: this clearly says: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5784591

Vinit: I got mine to work by calling AT&T. They have to turn on there end. For some reason I was shut off in there system. If you have AT&T you need to call them and complain about it. They should be able to fix. Good luck

Vinit: If you don't know how to turn it on, please just tell me

Vinit: I will call 611 and hopefully get it addressed

Holly Davidson: I don't have the ability to "turn it on" , I do apologize. This is either a network issue or a device issue. [Subtle and rude: Nice! Notice the quotes around turn it on. Go ATT]

Vinit: it is not a device issue that I can guarantee, as it does not work in any device i own.

Vinit: it is a network issue which att controls..but looks like not

Vinit: anyways

Vinit: thank you for your time

Your AT&T representative has closed the chat session.

[... started with courtesy. Ended blatantly]

Sep 13, 2014 7:10 AM in response to vython

Thank you. What other troubleshooting have you tried? Have you tried going to Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings? Had you done anything around the time this stopped working? User troubleshooting includes powering the phone off/on, a reset, restore from backup, and finally restore as new. Do you have cellular data turned on, or any restrictions turned on for FaceTime?

How do I set up FaceTime over cellular data (AT&T Unlimited data plan iPhone 5 iOS7)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.