Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why limiting downloads to 100MB over Cellular Data?

Dear Apple's resrictions makers,

I'm using iPhone 5s .. And i'm privileged with unlimited GBs over LTE Cellular Data.

I've choosed to download an App which is over 100MB .. Got the message that I should connect to WiFi in order to download this App .. Why?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 15, 2014 1:18 AM

69 replies

Jan 15, 2014 11:24 AM in response to Nakiki

Nakiki wrote:

Dear Apple's resrictions makers,

I'm using iPhone 5s .. And i'm privileged with unlimited GBs over LTE Cellular Data.

I've choosed to download an App which is over 100MB .. Got the message that I should connect to WiFi in order to download this App .. Why?

The total amount of data you can use over a billing period is not the same as the through put, and nearly all cellular providers limit this. Contact your provider for its rules and limits on this. As far as why these types of limits are in place - network bandwidth that needs to be spread out among numerous users who may be using it concurrently. The best of networks can only handle so much traffic at any point it time.

Jan 16, 2014 8:43 AM in response to TJBUSMC1973

False. That is only true of speculation. If a user can point to credible evidense as to why an Apple policy exists or which party enacted a policy, there is nothing in the Terms of Use to prevent the conversation. I have read over a number of tech articles regarding the topic and none of them state that App has enacted the policy at the behest of the telcos.

Jan 16, 2014 9:07 AM in response to Dah•veed

https://discussions.apple.com/static/apple/tutorial/etiquette.html

Avoid speculation and rumors.

https://discussions.apple.com/static/apple/tutorial/tou.html

Submissions

Stay on topic. Apple Support Communities is here to help people use Apple products and technologies more effectively. Unless otherwise noted, do not add Submissions about nontechnical topics, including:

1. Speculations or rumors about unannounced products.
  2. Discussions of Apple policies or procedures or speculation on Apple decisions.

Jan 16, 2014 10:54 AM in response to TJBUSMC1973

Nothing has gone astray, at least not until you showed up pretending to be the forum police. I think that you are the one out of line here. We were having a polite conversation. You butted in and pulled the conversation off topic. You have added nothing of a technical nature to this thread. It is you, if anyone who has violated the Terms of Use. You are making me feel unwelcome. Why don't you move along instead of playing self-appointed cop and telling other folks what they need to do.

Ciao

Jan 16, 2014 12:03 PM in response to Dah•veed

Not pretending to be anything. Obviously, I'm a fellow user, such as yourself.

If there is a stated policy, somewhere, that verifies whether or not this limit is controlled solely by Apple or because of a joint agreement between Apple and the wireless carriers, fine. Feel free to provide such documentation.

Until then, it is speculation.

You asked James to supply some form of proof. Until he provides some, or you provide proof contrary to his claim, then you are both speculating on whether or not such a policy even exists. And even if proof of the source of the policy is provided, then discussing said policy is also against the terms of this forum.

My first comment was that the 'whys' of any policy are beyond the scope of this forum. And that's perfectly accurate. This forum is for technical assistance. Other than confirming that, yes, 100MB is the cellular download limit (for whatever reason is actually irrelevant), that's the only technical part of this discussion.

You were the one that first claimed that the terms don't prohibit speculation or discussion of Apple's policies. And I replied by providing proof, linking to the terms of this forum.

Both the speculation (without proof, it remains a speculation, and not simply a statement) of why this limit is in place, as well as dicussing the actual policy, are both prohibited.

I've remained perfectly cordial and polite, throughout this conversation. You, on the other hand, have not. If you don't like someone pointing out a breach of the forum rules, then don't breach the rules.

The technical question has been answered. Why this limit is in place is irrelevant; it exists.

Jan 17, 2014 6:14 AM in response to Dah•veed

There are dozens of threads that have clear violations of the terms of use, and the Hosts don't make modifications. The fact that the rules are lightly enforced, or only in situations where there is a severe violation of the rules (such as posting personal information, which is highly dangerous), doesn't mean every thread that remains unmodified is following the rules properly.

Just like if a cop doesn't pull someone over for exceeding the speed limit doesn't mean that the speed limit doesn't exist, the fact that a Host has not modified this thread doesn't mean the rules don't exist.

This is, and always was, a minor issue in this thread. You've insisted on taking offense, where none was given, and escalating the... disagreement.

You've reported the thread. I've reported the thread. What more are you expecting? For me to change my opinion?

Not going to happen. Nor, does it seem, that I will change your opinion.

Seems like we're done here, yes?

Why limiting downloads to 100MB over Cellular Data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.