Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get rid of someone elses apple Id that is not mine? I can"t even download apps on the app store

How do I get rid of someone elses apple Id that is not mine? I can"t even udate apps on the app store

iPhone 4

Posted on Jan 19, 2014 7:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2017 8:32 AM

Ok so I jus got this iPhone 5s from someone my Apple ID and everything is in on iTunes and App Store but when I try to update any apps it says password for that person account

32 replies

Mar 17, 2017 8:42 AM in response to Keloebaby

Ok so I jus got this iPhone 5s from someone my Apple ID and everything is in on iTunes and App Store but when I try to update any apps it says password for that person account

As explained in this thread previously, Apps are tied to the Apple Id that downloaded / bought them, and will forever require that Apple ID to update.

If you are being requested for the original owner's Apple ID, that means there's at least one App there that was downloaded with that person's Apple ID, and that person did not correctly wipe the iPhone to remove all apps and data from it, and now its asking for his password.

The Person you bought it from should have done this:

What to do before selling or giving away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

I suggest you do it yourself, assuming the Apple ID in Settings->iCloud is your own, and not the original owner's. Otherwise you will not be able to.

If you can contact the original owner, ask them to follow the steps in that support document, to correctly remove the iPhone from their account.

Beyond that, you could attempt to delete the offending App if you can determine which one it is. You may need to update Apps one by one until you find it.

Jan 19, 2014 7:16 AM in response to bgtwjazzlover

Go to Settings > iCloud. Is someone else's Apple ID listed there? If so, is FInd My iPhone turned on?

If so, then you need to return it and get a refund immediately.

However, if there is no Apple ID listed in Settings > iCloud, then you can restore the device as new and not worry about Activation Lock. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content & Settings.

Jan 19, 2014 7:17 AM in response to bgtwjazzlover

That's because the Apps that are requesting an update are ones downloaded with another Apple ID. You will not be able to update those apps without that Apple ID password.

However, you can delete the apps, and then redownload them from the App Store. Not only will that provide the newest version of the App, it also means since you've downloaded them now with your Apple ID, then your Apple ID is the one that can update them in the future.

How do I get rid of someone elses apple Id that is not mine? I can"t even download apps on the app store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.