Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samsung 840 Pro SSD is not recognized as internal drive

Hi all,

I've purchased a samsung 840 Pro (512GB) SSD to install on my mid-2012 MacBook Pro running Mavericks (OSX 10.9.1) as a replacement for the factory 750GB (7200rpm) spinning drive.

I've followed the most typical (in my opinion) preparation procedure:

- put the SSD on a USB-SATA enclosure, carbon copy my existing HDD (including a recovery disk partition), formatted MAC OS Extended (Journaled) with a single GUID partition.

- restart the computer and boot from the SSD still on the USB enclosure (holding "option" key during startup. This works well and Mac OS starts and runs no problem.

- Shut down, replace the hard drives. And test.

NOW HERE IS THE PROBLEM:

Once I try to turn the computer on, it will not recognize the now internal SSD connected to the SATA interface, and therefore cannot boot from there.

I tried re-starting and booting from the old HDD now on the USB enclosure, which works, however it does not show the internal SSD as a bootable option (even though I could boot from aforementioned SSD while on the USB enclosure!)

While booted from the external USB (old HDD), I ran disk utility and the first time it displayed the internal SSD but it said it had ZERO space in it. In any attempt there after it doesn't even show the internal SSD.

I went back and forth swapping the internal drive between the SSD and the original HDD. The problem is consistent ONLY when the SSD is on the internal SATA connection.

I searched these forums and other sites for suggestions. The common denominator seemed to be a faulty SATA cable assembly. I ordered through Amazon next-day and got it here. I followed the procedure as outlined in other sites (iFixIt for example). Tried again with the SSD as internal SATA drive: NOTHING!

Reinstalled the old HDD internally (and put the SSD back in the USB dog house), re-started and everything works as advertised: Boot is ok from internal HDD, and it can see still the external SSD on the USB enclosure.

So, here I am, lost looking for answers. PLEASE HELP!

Thank you in advance for your time and input.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 2.6GHz i7 8GB RAM

Posted on Feb 5, 2014 3:12 PM

40 replies

Feb 6, 2014 12:00 AM in response to nanortiz

nanortiz,

I chose the same SSD for my Mid 2010 MacBook Pro. it sounds as though you’ve done everything correctly. HDDs seem to be more tolerant of faulty internal SATA cables than SSDs are, which is why your HDD hasn’t had the same problem that the SSD is having. It seems to me that the new SATA cable could be exhibiting the same problem that the old one is, so you could try exchanging the new one for another new one to see if its replacement would work any better.

Feb 6, 2014 9:28 AM in response to Melophage

@Melophage

Thanks for the suggestion. I am just a little apprehensive of simply throwing more money into the situation and hoping it works.

I've been in contact with Samsung SSD tech support guys. I was pleassently surprised with their reps: not only are they technically current, but also both the guys I spoke to are using Macbook Pros! (plus it also helps that they have very good verbal communication skills).

They are just as puzzled as I am, since they have tried the exact same combination of hardware (same MBP model and SSD model, just different capacity) with success.

I am in the process of trying a few more things with their guidance and will keep you posted of the outcome.

Thanks again for your input.

AO

Feb 6, 2014 9:44 AM in response to nanortiz

I agree with Melophage - your problem is likely a faulty SATA cable. We see this often around here - will boot from HD but not the more stringent SSD specifications.

Visit www.ifixit.com and either order a cable from them or note the Apple part # and order a (much less expensive but without any warranty) cable from eBay, using the Apple part number as a search key. They will likely come with no guarantee whereas a cable from ifixit will.

As problems like yours crop up here at least 3-4 times a week, I'm fairly certain that the problem lies with the SATA cable.

Good luck,

Clinton

Feb 7, 2014 8:53 PM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Clinton,

I have to say, at first I was taken aback by your suggestion, since I have already replaced the SAT cable once. That being said, once I double checked the Part Number for the link you sent me, I can see it is different than the one I ordered and received/installed (http://www.amazon.com/Hard-Drive-Cable-MacBook-Unibody/dp/B00456S0IO/ref=pd_cp_p c_1).

Although this new SATA cable does work with the HDD (using it as I type) I can't rule out the possibility that ordering the part you pointed me to is the right one.

Thanks for the suggestion I'm ordeing right now and will let you know the outcome.

AO

Feb 17, 2014 7:16 AM in response to septianss

Hi all,

Received new SATA cable #3.... drum roll... no luck.

This is my 3rd SATA cable I've tried:

#1- Original that came with Macbook Pro.

#2- From Amazon; though it works with original HDD, it is not the precise P/N as pointed out by Clinton above. Luckily I as able to return this one.

#3 - Correct Part number from powerbookmedic.com (http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Hard-Drive-Data-Cable-for-the-MacBook-Pro-15-Unibo dy---923-0084-p-24048.html). It does have a warranty as iFixit, but a bit cheaper.

I've spoken to Samsung techs again, and after explaining everything, they suggested I return/replace the SSD, which is my next step.

Again, I will let you know of the outcome.

Apr 23, 2014 12:52 PM in response to nanortiz

I, too, had the same problem, but with an SSD from Other World Computing. The SSD had been working perfectly for about 14 months when suddenly my Macbook Pro (9,2) froze hard. Even the clock stopped. When I tried to re-boot, I got the circle with the diagonal line through it. Wouldn't boot into the recovey partition, either. Moved the SSD to an external USB enclosure and it worked fine and booted the Macbook fine. I suspected a bad cable or controller, so I put the original 750Gb Toshiba drive inside. That booted the system fine, suggesting that the cable and controlle were healthy, so I focused on the SSD itself.

I then worked with Robert at OWC on and off for a couple days trying to figure out why the SSD would work fine and boot my Macbook Pro (9,2) when installed in the external enclosure but not when installed internally. Eventually, not able to identify a cause or a solution, he agreed to replace the SSD. When the replacement arrived, I installed it internally and it wasn't even seen by Disk Utility, so I had to format it in the external enclosure. Then I used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the internal 750 Gb HD to the external SSD, did a fresh install of Mavericks on the SSD, put it back inside the Macbook, and the symptoms that I had with the first SSD were repeated exactly.

At that point I found this thread, took the Macbook into my local Apple authorized service center and suggested that the issue could be the SATA cable. They were initially very skeptical that the cable could be bad because their diagnostic tools said everything was copacetic and the 750 Gb drive worked just fine. But finally, when they could not come up with a solution on their own, they tried swapping the cable. BINGO! Back in business.

Thanks to all for "showing me the way."

Jul 7, 2014 10:45 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Clintonfrombirmingham,

I think you're right about the cable problem. But I'm coming at this from a different angle. I'm not a techy, I read up as I go along. But my background is R&D and inventing, so I play around a lot.

Last Friday, I used my late 2012 MacBook Pro to show my agent in Poland some photos at 10am. We drove to a customer, got out the laptop at 11.30 and White screen of death appeared with file & ? mark. Re-tried it numerous times & nothing. Called IT consultant this morning, (Monday) and he confirmed over the phone that the hard drive was knackered.

My last Time Machine backup was February, so I was really p%&€ed off! I went out and bought the Samsung 840EVO SSD, 500Gb, as a replacement. Fitted it and……nothing. Tried it numerous times. I got the MBP to boot and go into load from Time Machine mode, but the Samsung EVO just wouldn't be found as a destination drive. I've spent the day searching forums' for answers and nothing, except it seems to be a common problem with MBP's & the Samsung 840 SSD's not being recognised. I've put the old HD back & nothing. (BTW: By this point, I had tried the old school tricks of bashing the old HD hard, I could tell it was turning, by squeezing it until it cried. I started to pull it apart, but the lid was stuck down an I bent it, but hey! It was goosed anyway. Right?

Then reading this thread, I thought I'd give it a go. So I've removed the Samsung SSD and connected the old HD via a USB3 cable and WOW! It booted up straight away! Even opening the files I'd left open and picking up e-mails! So £200 spent for no reason! Process of elimination shows it's the cable. It's the bloody cable!!! So why do all the "experts" say it's a Hard Drive failure? Huh?

Who'd have thought it. But I'm still going to get a new SATA cable & try out the Samsung SSD.

Thanks all!

Jul 7, 2014 11:04 AM in response to Melophage

My guess is a faulty hard drive cable but you said it only happens with the SSD. It also could be the SSD itself. I haven't heard good reviews with Samsung hard drives. If it's not too late, I say send it back and get a refund. Go to CrucialMemory. You may be able to get an even bigger drive for about the same price. I bought an 8GB RAM kit for my Dell Inspiron before I sold it and it helped a lot and they have good reviews. Or if you want a really good SSD, check out Corsair. But what I like about Crucial is they have a system scanner you download and it will bring you right to available RAM kits, HDDs, and SSDs.

Samsung 840 Pro SSD is not recognized as internal drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.