Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot get mail - the mail server "imap.gmail.com" is not responding. The correct account info is in Mail settings. How do I resolve?

Cannot get mail - the mail server "imap.gmail.com" is not responding. The correct account info is in mail settings. How do I resolve?

iPad 2, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 10, 2014 12:55 PM

103 replies

Feb 11, 2017 6:05 PM in response to dan312a

We have been having this same issue on all 4 Apple devices since 12th of December 2016. I have been on and off with Apple Technical support, trying to sus this out. I saw a post on the net that hinted that the ISP could be blocking SSL ports that Gmail uses. The ISP denied that. So I decided to take my iPhone 6s off the ISP's WIFI and directly onto Vodafone's mobile data , and it all works

Please see my post about the hassles I've had

https://plus.google.com/114500433287371940335/posts/JswU5emWzso

Feb 11, 2017 6:08 PM in response to DrR_SK

We have been having this same issue on all 4 Apple devices since 12th of December 2016. I have been on and off with Apple Technical support, trying to sus this out. I saw a post on the net that hinted that the ISP could be blocking SSL ports that Gmail uses. The ISP denied that. So I decided to take my iPhone 6s off the ISP's WIFI and directly onto Vodafone's mobile data , and it all works

Please see my post about the hassles I've had

https://plus.google.com/114500433287371940335/posts/JswU5emWzso

Feb 25, 2018 9:06 PM in response to MailQuery

Possible solution: Change your gmail password at Google. Details:

My sister just ran into this message on her G Suite (Google apps) account (its just like gmail), both her phone and Mac (running Yosemite or thereabouts) said there was a problem with the server. She could not log in via web either--the web login said her password changed 4 days ago (when the problem started). I (admin) reset her account. Then both Mac Mail and the phone asked for her password (which was not happening before), and entering the new password enabled successful login.

As you are gmail and not G Suite, you have to do your own password reset. I suggest if you can log in via web, change your password, and if you can't log in on web, use whatever recovery options you have set up (usually a phone or second email address). It seems that once the password is changed, the Apple Mail on the phone or Mac notices this and no longer gets stuck with the "not responding" error. Good luck!

Feb 12, 2014 1:49 PM in response to MailQuery

Hello, MailQuery.

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities.

I would start with closing all open applications as outlined in the first article and power cycle the device. If the issue persists, the easiest way to troubleshoot this issue would be to delete the account and add it back to the iOS device. Below, I have included two additional email troubleshooting articles. The first article covers basic email troubleshooting. The second articleis usually the resolution for this issue with a Gmail account.

iOS: Force an app to close

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5137

iOS: Troubleshooting Mail

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3899

iOS: Gmail account will not connect to Gmail server

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3058

Cheers,

Jason H.

May 5, 2015 9:30 PM in response to jason269

I've had this issue since updating to iOS 8.3 with both my gmail account and my U of M alumni address, which is also a google account as of a couple years ago. I tried deleting and re-adding the U of M account (which is the one I primarily use), got the messages saying that the process couldn't be completed using SSL and saying it couldn't be completed at all, and tried adding it anyway, but of course it still couldn't get mail so I deleted it again.

I've power cycled the device, which didn't help. I filled out the unlock form and deleted the gmail account, and now it won't complete the process of re-adding it. I filled out the unlock form again and tried adding the U of M account again and it still doesn't work.

Throughout all of this, Yahoo mail works fine (but that's my secondary back-up and almost none of my contacts has that address), I can access my Google and U of M mail using the using the browser, but I don't like the Google webmail interface and I particularly hate the mobile version.

How do I get my Google-based mail accounts to work with iOS 8.3?

Thanks.

Troy

May 9, 2015 8:12 AM in response to vlntrg

I've gone through all of these pages repeatedly and none of this helps. I still can't use SSL to add my U of M account, and if I add it anyway it can't send or receive e-mails (I've also scoured the U of M set-up help pages and tried everything they suggest). Enabling all the other outgoing servers makes no difference, and I don't have two-step verification enabled so that's not in the mix.

Also, I can't add a Google account at all. When I click on the Google logo on the Add Account page, it has me sign in, asks for access to mail, contacts etc., then when I click Accept, it briefly shows the list of various mail servers again, slides to the list of selector buttons for enabling/disabling Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Notes but it's all grayed out, and then it immediately slides back to the list of mail servers and I'm once again at the point of selecting Google for my mail.

Any other ideas?

May 11, 2015 9:38 AM in response to vlntrg

Have you had a satisfactory reply yet??? I have the EXACT same issue. Deleted gmail from phone, try and add and I go through the same process below.... so still no gmail. On Mac, it just shows an issue with server. I continually get emails saying to long in direct which I do, but there are no Google settings to allow access to Mac or Phone.

HELP!!!!!

Cannot get mail - the mail server "imap.gmail.com" is not responding. The correct account info is in Mail settings. How do I resolve?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.