Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

5640 drivers and Windows 8.1 ... some hardware issues

have the latest bootcamp drivers installed on my mbp in windows 8.1.

When i put the computer to sleep, then wake ... wifi will not reconnect.

Normally, on the wireless connections pane, directly above the list of wifi connections, the toggle switch says "WIFI". But after waking up from sleep, the toggle switch says "WIFI 2" ... in either instance, the toggle switch is set to on.

anyone know if this is a bug with the bootcamp drivers, windows or something else ? right now I have to pretty much restart to get wifi connected and working in windows.

the second issue I noticed: my keyboard backlighting doesn't come on instantly when the welcome screen comes up. in fact, it doesn't illuminate until i start toggling the dedicated illumination keys. strange behavior.

i've tried reinstalling the driver package from the 5640 zip, still experiencing these problems.

anyone have any info on what these issues might be caused by or anyone experiencing them as well ?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 18, 2014 6:58 PM

33 replies

Feb 19, 2014 9:27 AM in response to Rudegar

I don't believe so. 5.1.5640 is what I need to use for my machine (late 2013). That's why I started the thread, maybe there's some kind of issue with the latest drivers and Windows 8.1 ?

I started with Windows 8, then upgraded to 8.1 via the MS Store. I did not test this issue out while on Windows 8 because I went straight into the 8.1 update after installing 8 and the drivers (I installed these same drivers in Windows 8).

I also tried reinstalling the drivers again (running the setup.exe file).

It seems to me something happens when the computer is put to sleep, possibly hanging up the drivers.

it's not a very big deal, because booting from the off state doesn't take that long anyway. But I normally use sleep most times and not shutdown.

Are there Windows dump files that I can submit to Apple support and get them to look at it ?

Feb 20, 2014 9:06 AM in response to Rudegar

do you think that installing the drivers manually would be a better way to go ? i'm not so sure because while running the setup exe file it appeared that each driver was being re-installed (i saw hardware resetting during the install).

If i assume the drivers are good and the problems i experienced shouldn't be occuring, then i would try something different, like re-running the setup exe with windows in safe mode. if that doesnt xorrect the problem, then i would think it might be a driver compatibility issue that Apple has to fix.

Feb 20, 2014 7:34 PM in response to zero7404

i made a little progress on my wifi issue ...

I looked around online for others that experienced the same issue I'm having and I found some solutions posted. I tried them but they didn't work. Namely:

go into Device Manager, double-click the network adapter, on the Power Management tab, uncheck the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

another solution was to go into the Network Sharing Center, select 'adapter settings' on the left, then right-click the wireless connection, properties and then uncheck "TCP/IPv6".

unfortunately neither of these worked for me. I do remember that the wifi connection renames itself after waking from sleep. From a clean boot it's name is Wi-Fi, but after wakeup from sleep it's name is Wi-Fi 2. While looking at the network adapter in device manager, I noticed that the Network Adapter also changes name. From a clean boot it's name is Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter, but after wakeup from sleep it's name is Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter #2.

Something might be causing this identification issue, I'm not sure if it's drivers, hardware or windows itself.

But I figured I'd go ahead and reconnect to my wifi by adding the SSID and password again under the new Wi-Fi 2 connection, and I'm able to connect to my wifi. So far, the wifi hasn't renamed itself after being put to sleep more than once.

as for my keyboard issue, sometimes the keys illuminate right at the welcome screen, other times they light up after logging in or a minute afterwards.

Jun 28, 2014 9:33 AM in response to zero7404

I have also been having this issue on my newly bought Late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro (rMBP), running Windows 8.1 Pro (using native EFI) with Boot Camp's latest drivers (version 5.1.5640). After waking up from sleep, the "Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter" becomes the "Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter #2" and subsequently "Wi-Fi" becomes "Wi-Fi 2," requiring me to reconnect to all of my networks since Windows seems to tie saved wireless networks to the driver.

Here is what I've found so far (note that when I say "Wi-Fi 2," I mean the driver is using the Network Adapter #2 instead of the original, numberless one):

• This only happens to Windows--the Mac side is fine.
  • This only happens when Windows is put to sleep; hibernation and Fast Boot shutdown do not change the driver. I'm actually using hibernation right now as an alternative to sleep mode because it works fine.
  • Sleeping a second time within the same Windows session keeps "Wi-Fi 2" as "Wi-Fi 2."
  • I need to restart to get the original driver to work again. Shutting down *may* work, though, but since hibernation keeps "Wi-Fi 2" as "Wi-Fi 2" and doesn't change the driver back, I doubt it. Maybe non-Fast Boot shutdown would also fix it, but restart works well enough.

Essentially, sleep mode is unusable in Windows, since this network shuffle makes it so all networks need to be re-added.

Now, I have also noticed that booting into Windows with the Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet adapter causes the Network Adapter to become "Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter #3" (and thus creating a "Wi-Fi 3" entry on the connection manager). I'm assuming that the Ethernet Adapter would also cause the Network Adapter #2 to appear if it were uninstalled previously.

AND, in the Windows Event Viewer, I see this, and I wonder if it is related to the above because the Wi-Fi adapter uses the PCI-express bus on the Late 2013 rMBP:

"The system firmware has changed the processor's memory type range registers (MTRRs) across a sleep state transition (S4). This can result in reduced resume performance."

What the heck is going on here??

I have tried messing around with the Device Manager's various Power Management tabs, as well as the Link State Power Management stuff in the Windows Control Panel. Nothing worked, and I have since set everything back to normal and changed every "Sleep" option I could find to "Hibernate." This isn't an ideal workaround due to the writes this makes to the SSD, so if anyone has a fix or can help figure this out that would be most appreciated!

Jun 28, 2014 9:56 AM in response to KNNSpeed

I can answer the keyboard backlighting issue, though. The keyboard backlight only works when the Boot Camp drivers are loaded. In other words, the backlight does not work until you see the little Boot Camp icon in the taskbar. Whether or not you see the backlight at the login screen just depends on how fast the SSD loaded Windows that time.

Jul 2, 2014 8:46 PM in response to zero7404

I have the exact same behavior on my MacBook Pro Late 2013 with Windows 8.1. Unfortunately re-adding wi-fi networks to the "Wi-Fi 2" adapter is not an option for me. I'm a developer and I have virtual switch networking setup with Hyper-V for the Windows Phone emulator and with Oracle Virtual Box for the Genymotion emulator. I need to make sure the standard Wi-Fi adapter "survives" the sleep/resume cycle like a normal computer.

Jul 4, 2014 1:51 PM in response to ActiveNick

so i'm not the only one ... i've noticed that the bootcamp drivers for windows arent that great in general ....

some hardware functions do not work consistently all the time when I'm in windows. right now, as I type, my keyboard's backlighting is offline and I cannot get the keyboard to light up - not sure why. it's funny that i'm experiencing issues at all with the hardware in windows .... Apple reps in the store have said that apple computers are the most reliable windows-running machines .... I can cite a few hp laptops i've had that i never experienced a hardware glitch -- ever.

for the wifi problem i just added the network again to the wifi 2 connection and it seems to be alright whenever i wake the ma

Jul 4, 2014 3:46 PM in response to zero7404

I have been going deep into Microsoft's support levels to get this resolved--it's definitely a Windows issue, seeing how there are zero problems on the Mac side. Unfortunately, for someone like me who has a lot of networks that need to be saved, this is a pretty big deal--especially since it becomes "Wi-Fi 3" when using the Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet adapter. I'll post back once I get some kind of result, though at the rate this has been going it might not be soon (but don't worry; I'm not the kind of person who'll just forget to follow up).

I personally have a feeling that this has something to do with Windows' hardware compatibility (maybe it doesn't support Haswell's new sleep states right? I'm just guessing here, honestly), although the fact that one of the memory addresses of the network adapter CHANGES after sleep is a bit weird...

@Sakman74,

Have you tried putting your finger/a dark piece of paper over the light sensor (right next to the Facetime camera)? That turns on my backlight.

Jul 4, 2014 3:59 PM in response to KNNSpeed

do you really feel it's a windows problem ? I've not experienced this with other non-apple computers that run Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 ....

I feel it is a driver issue ....

one thing i am not fond of is the hardware controlling when it 'thinks' that i need it's functionality .... such as having to cover the sensor in order to get back lighting working .... there are no customizable settings for these aspects of hardware control in any of the windows bootcamp drivers, or within mac os x either. being in control of my user experience is something i want to have, whenever I want to have it.

I suppose that an argument can be built around the power savings that are gained by doing auto control like that, but it happens when I'm plugged into power as well ....

I would prefer more control/settings given to the user in order to allow us to adjust our settings the way we like.

Jul 5, 2014 8:56 AM in response to zero7404

Well, think of it this way: how can it be a driver issue when it happens with the Microsoft default/basic/generic network adapter driver, the Apple-supplied one, AND the Asus PCE-AC68 driver? "Driver" is just the individual bit of software that allows a device to work, and the adapter does work. The issue crops up when Windows deactivates/turns it off/etc. to go into Sleep mode and then re-activates it on wake up, which is not so much a driver problem as it is a Standby/S3 state resource issue since the driver itself is still working properly (it's just not being loaded in the right place).

If anything, this seems way more telling of a problem with how Windows works with the PCI-e bus, again with reference to how the memory address changes (!!!) during sleep. Of course, this could also be something to do with Apple's EFI firmware, as cited in the event log error "The system firmware has changed the processor's memory type range registers (MTRRs) across a sleep state transition (S4). This can result in reduced resume performance."

If it's the latter, I'll take this case and its mountain of ridiculousness and unacceptability up with Apple. I want to thoroughly check Microsoft's side of the issue first, though, since that would potentially be a faster fix.

5640 drivers and Windows 8.1 ... some hardware issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.