Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rendering problem in output of Pages 5.1

Has anyone else seen a print rendering problem when trying to print a table in Pages 5.1?

All my text in tables is jagged and lower-resolution than other text:

User uploaded file

(Printed from Pages 5.1 (1769) on a HP Color LaserJet CP2025 from a retina MacBook Pro original model running Mavericks 10.9.1.)

To see the problem, you must look at the full size image. Right-click to open it in a new tab.

The type is set to Helvetica 12 pt black.

The borders are set to 0.5 pt black. The top two lines have a border on all sides.

The top line's border is nearly invisible; on the full size image you should see a faint blueish line.

The middle line's box box is supposed to be
 a full box, but it is missing two sides. But at least this hairline renders properly.

The pdf of the same file looks fine on screen, even at high magnification. The problem only shows up in print.

The same problem exists in Numbers (where I first experienced it):

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5846626

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 8, 2014 6:50 AM

28 replies

Mar 9, 2014 7:04 AM in response to preludio

I see you followed Jerry's advice to post over here, and haven't got any responces, so I'll at least try to get a little more information into the discussion.

Since the document prints to pdf correctly, but not to the actual printer, it seems likely that it is a print driver issue. In the Numbers discussion on the issue, the original person with the issue was using a HP printer with a postscript driver. Since the HP support site was not very clear about whether a driver for that printer on Mavericks even existed, and the recommendation for a generic driver was for a PCL driver, not postscript, I suspect that they were not using a recommended configuration. It would probably be helpful to know the details about your printer and print driver.

Do you have access to more than one printer to test this on?

The new versions of Numbers and Pages are doing something strange in terms of how they copy tables to the system clipboard; the pdf version is no longer available, only bitmap images. Print to pdf, however seems to still get the pdf data. I don't think this should have anything to do with the data getting to the print driver, but it does seem consistent with your results.

Mar 10, 2014 8:17 AM in response to Jeff Shenk

I'm printing to an HP Color LaserJet CP2025n (7F724D) and the driver version is 19.9.

(This Mac was upgraded to Mavericks (10.9) from 10.8. I belive I had installed the printer under 10.8, but it could have been 10.7. I cannot remember if I had to reinstall the printer when I upgraded to Mavericks. I certainly don't remember having to download anything from HP's site; the Mac OS did it all.)

According to HP's web site, there is no driver for Mac 10.9. There is a firmware update to my printer, but I'm leery of installing it unless it's likely to fix the problem. The description of fixes on HP's page doesn't suggest it will fix things, but it may still be worth a try.

I do not have another printer to test. But when I get a chance, I'll take my Mac to a client's and see if I can print to some different printers there. I may have the opportunity this afternoon. I'll report back.

Mar 13, 2014 8:05 AM in response to preludio

Experienced the same problem with jagged text trying to print a table from the latest Pages to an HP CM 2320 fxi. Went back to the old version of Pages '09, recreated the same document and it printed perfectly with sharp text. Strangely, it didn't work to export to PDF from the latest Pages and print from there - still got jagged text.

Mar 17, 2014 6:06 AM in response to preludio

Hi everyone,
I'm having the same problem – text in tables looks ugly when I'm printing from the newest version of pages. Only printing from Pages09 seems to work so far.

If there's a solution to this I'd be really glad since I have to set up templates for others to use and they'll mostly work in the new version of pages.

I run OSX 10.9.1 on an iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010) printing with a HP Color LaserJet CM2320fxi MFP (Driver version 19.9).

Best, E

Mar 31, 2014 7:13 AM in response to Jeff Shenk

I finally had time and the ability to try another printer with my computer. I printed the same Numbers file. I did not have time to test Pages

The printout showed exactly the same problem with the different printer. For the record, it was a HP LaserJet 1320n.

I wish I had easier access to non-HP printers, but that will have to wait.

I tried to figure out if this printer is a postscript printer, but to no avail. Not sure if that makes any differenece, anyway.

May 7, 2014 6:10 AM in response to preludio

Same problem here (printing of tables from latest versions of pages / numbers on HP Color Laserjet 2320fxi MFP). We just discussed this problem with the hp support. Besides from upgrading to the latest driver (v 19.9) they did not offer any solutions.

Furthermore they told us to adress our problem to apple as the mavericks drivers are no longer provided by hp themselves. Apple is in charge now. Duh. I´ll give it a try but are expecting to be adviced to buy new printers for our company...

May 12, 2014 7:30 AM in response to preludio

Hi,

(Sorry for my bad english). I've found a way to solve the problem in another discussion, hope this helps. To fix the print quality, you need to re-install your printer with Bonjour/air-print (just create another printer in the list and select your printers, add a new name and delete old one). Don't really figure out the original problem but seems Maveriks have a better print driver that way and finally, i can print nice pages 🙂

But sadly, i still got the same problem with pdf left, haven't find a solution (normal text is sharp, table text is ugly for every fonts/weight/colors/sizes/etc... with export and/or print to pdf). If someone can help ?

Thanks.

May 13, 2014 4:04 AM in response to preludio

After a few sessions of screensharing-troubleshooting with the Apple Support the problem remains unsolved on my system. According to the support all printer-driver-version related causes could be eliminated.

I was able to produce flawless printouts with Numbers v.3.0.1 (no further changes on my system) but not with the latest versions of iWork products.

The problem only occurs while printing text in tables on various hp printers from the latest versions of Numbers, Pages and Keynote. We tried two different Canon Models as well and everything works fine on them.

The iWork Team already asked for all my system specs after my last post here - hopefully an iWork Update will follow soon.

Rendering problem in output of Pages 5.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.