Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Impossible to share - crashing during export "Out of RAM Memory" really slow share (Late 2013 Retina)

Hello all.

I'm really desperate. I hope you can help me:

1st) This is my project information:

on FCPX 10.1.1

User uploaded file

21 minutes. 1080p. 1.64GB file size if "sharing" at 1080p.

First, it takes AGES to share such size, so I try to export at 480p (246MB). It also takes ages, around 1h30m... But I this point I'm so desperate, that I just want to "export whatever I can, in whatever settings I can".

But even trying exporting such "low quality" version of my project, It won't export.

IT CRASHES!!!! (for the time the project share reaches the 30%)

User uploaded file

How is this possible?!!!! It's a Late 2013 Retina with 16 GB of RAM, "specially updated" for me to use FCPX without too much of a hassle. I could understand a 8GB system doing this, but a 16GB?

User uploaded file

So basically, FCPX shares SUPER-SLOW (which at this point, I don't even care) I need the video to be exported ASAP and be able to acomplish the deadline which was "today".

But it crashes all the time (when exporting) because of "lack of Memory". On a 16GB Late Retina which only has Firefox open at the time the video was being exported. (And sometimes I don't even have Firefox open, not even the WiFi is on!) And it also crashes (yep, I've tried to export the project at least 10 times!!)

- What can I do ? Why is "my memory full", is this normal ?

More info:

I have all my project/event/clips in the MAIN HDD (SSD 512GB)

Would it change something to have "all my project transfered to an External USB3 HDD?"

If yes, is there any tutorial on HOW TO transfer / backup the project and ALL files, to an external HDD?

THANKS!!

Final Cut Pro X

Posted on Mar 10, 2014 4:57 AM

36 replies

Mar 10, 2014 5:14 AM in response to John Bee

John Bee wrote:

I have all my project/event/clips in the MAIN HDD (SSD 512GB)

Would it change something to have "all my project transfered to an External USB3 HDD?"

Possibly worth a shot. Within FCPX, select your event in the Libraries pane and File>Copy Event to Library. Choose Other and then your external drive. You could also create a new library from within FCP and drag the event into it.

Here is the Apple white paper on managing media and libraries, which you may find helpful. The section that is most relevant to what you're asking begins on page 11.

Russ

Mar 10, 2014 6:09 AM in response to Russ H

Thanks guys!

I will try your suggestions right now, so, In order to be sure that I will not f**** up my project during the process:

1) Do a backup of my whole project, which only (?) consists in dragging/copying my "Event file" (Library) to the USB3 External Drive.

User uploaded file

2) Delete Pref's with "Pref Manager"

2**) If the problem continues, delete FCPX / Fresh re-install it, using http://www.digitalrebellion.com/fcsremover/

3) Just drag & drop the "Event Folder" (37,59GB) from my External Hard Drive, to a new Libary.

Is this it?

I would also like to know:

All my purschased Effects/LUT's/Plugins, if I must Delete & Fresh install, will I have to install them all again one by one?

Would it be useful to ask for a Genius Bar appointment, before trying all this, or not worth it?

THANKS!

Mar 10, 2014 6:16 AM in response to John Bee

I'd try Innocentius' Preference Manager first and his suggestion about reinstalling the app last.

Your libraries are already backed up – or should be. In the Finder. navigate to your Home Folder>Movies>Final Cut Pro Backups. Open that folder and you should see multiple time stamped versions of your library.

Russ

Mar 10, 2014 7:46 AM in response to John Bee

The thing is that you are filling up your internal drive - the 512GB of flash storage is getting full, well with all your content, the OS and applications and all that swapping. That's the "memory" in the error message.

I am pretty sure that even just moving your library to an external USB3 drive will solve your problems.

There have been several similar reports over these past two years or so, with the common situation being the internal ssd being completely full - so I am totally convinced that that is your problem.

(Why the problem is in such cases complicated by the system somewhat inexplicably producing masses of swap precisely when the SSD is getting full is what I still don't understand...)

Mar 10, 2014 8:29 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hello Luis:

The Internal SDD has 111GB free out of 500GB.

The final export is (should be) 1.65GB if sharing to 1080p

And only 246MB if sharing to 480p (<--- export settings which I'm using now, and it's still freezing/getting RAM errors)

How is it possible, if the file is only 246MB and I still have 111GB of space left?

Edit: I'm moving my Library right now as we speak (to the external USB drive). I will report in 1hour.

Mar 10, 2014 8:43 AM in response to John Bee

John Bee wrote:

Hello Luis:

The Internal SDD has 111GB free out of 500GB.

It looks like there is plenty of space, you know.

But you also showed a screenshot of the Activity Monitor, showing over 41GB of swap space. (They will be reclaimed when you restart your mac, so if you see the free space after a restart, you may not notice this decrease).

That space is taken off those 111GB. My experience is that once the SSD gets under 100GB free or so, then all bets are off.

Message was edited by: Luis Sequeira1

Mar 10, 2014 8:46 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks Louis!

I'm now moving the 37,58GB library

to the external USB3 drive.

I will use Pref Manager when it's done, and drag the 37,58GB file from my External Drive to FCPX.

--- Should I also delete now, the original 37,58GB file from my desktop/main drive (?)

I hope this works, I'm suffering with this for 2 weeks now, the video should have been uploaded long ago, and all my poor friends and crowdfunding backers think that I'm just chilling in the beach with a Margarita ;(

Mar 10, 2014 8:54 AM in response to Russ H

Hello Russ H!

I tried to Copy the Library to the External USB3 drive as you said, by going to File > Copy to... but FCPX "crashed" (just stayed there, without responding)

So I located the original project (?) file in the finder, as you said,

User uploaded file

+37GB, and I'm dragging it as we speak to my external USB3

User uploaded file

(UAUAUA is the re-named Library, and POR FAVOR my drive)

As soon as it's done, I will

1) Use "PREF MANAGER".

2) Create a new library

3) Drag "UAUAUA" from my External Drive

And... try to render/export.

Please let me know if this is okay, or I'm missing something. I will do this everything right now as we speak.

Thanks!

Mar 10, 2014 9:19 AM in response to John Bee

You don't need to create a new library, just use the one you are moving to the external drive.

Where is the media located? Is it inside the library (i.e. "managed media")? Or is it outside the library, and stored somewhere in the startup drive also? I am wondering, because it looks like 37GB may not be all that much after all, for a large-ish 1080p project.

Mar 10, 2014 10:20 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hello Luis!

I followed your instructions.

FCPX > Open Library > "UAUAUA" from the External USB3 Hard Drive.

Loaded into timeline & Render+Share>>>>

The sharing seemed a bit faster, but, after a while rendering.... CRASH.

This is the error I got:

User uploaded file

Tho when this happened (just now), I didn't delete the original library (37gb) from the main drive.

Edit*** I just did it. And I'm going to try to render&share again, from the USB3 Library.

Mar 10, 2014 10:31 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Luis:

Yes, the media is stored in the Main Drive

(I draged & dropped the Media into my Timeline, when I first created the original project)

May these be also a problem?

Tho, I would say that 98% of the Media is also in my USB3, since I duplicated the folder with all the clips, from the desktop, into the USB3 drive.

Maybe, 2-3 clips, 1-2 images, and 1 mp3 song, are not in the USB3 drive, but still in my main drive.

Shall I just, drag this media into the USB3 drive?

How shall I proceed?

Let me know, I'm here waiting for your responses. 🙂

Edit for Luis:

The "Swap space", as you said, it seems that it decreased:

User uploaded file

I will now export the project in 480p (246MB) and let you know how quick it goes.

It shouldn't take long, right?

**EDIT**

18:31 started sharing 1%

Impossible to share - crashing during export "Out of RAM Memory" really slow share (Late 2013 Retina)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.