Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 7.1 Random Reboots

So, according to all the reports, iOS 7.1 is meant to fix the white/black screen reboots. Well, HUGE fail. Ever since I upgraded from iOS 6 to iOS 7, I''ve had reboots, including during a couple of phone calls.

Now, with iOS 7.1, they continue. It would happen far too frequently and with very few identifiable common traits to each one. Even my iPad 2 has crashed a few times under 7.1.

I could be on the task screen to close an app and it would crash, or it would stall for 30 seconds, then crash, or I'd open an app and it'd crash. Or it'd just crash when I flipped between home screens. Since I upgraded to iOS 7.1, it has done it about 30 or 40 times.

So, some places on the internet suggested a wipe, iOS reinstall then restore. So, I've been doing that. It rebooted 5 times during the iOS install, then started restoring the images, apps, etc. and rebooted every minute for about 30 minutes, installing 1 or 2 apps at a time, then crash, reboot, another couple of apps, crash, reboot, etc. etc.

I'm still restoring and it's been stable for 20 minutes so far, but I'm not holding my breath.

DEAR APPLE...FIX THIS! PROPERLY! You have effectively made my iPhone 4S unusable 'cos I can't trust it not to reboot when I need it... I was going to upgrade to a 5S and give my 4S to my mother (she currently has my old 3GS) but how can I when it's so unreliably trash.

COME ON, PLEASE FOR THE SAKE OF SANITY, FIX IT PROPERLY.

iTunes Windows 10.4.1.10-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Mar 11, 2014 9:44 PM

56 replies

Mar 12, 2014 8:18 AM in response to gfindlay

I've also noticed continued reboots on iphone 4 running 7.1. Actually the frequency seems to have increased when compared to 7.0.6. It seems to occur mostly within the calendar app, but has also happened a few times during calls. This could be critical depending on the urgency of the call.

However, I will add that I've been very satisfied with the 7.1 update. There are some nice tweaks and the aging iphone 4 is definitely more usable!

Message was edited by: dkwillie

Mar 12, 2014 5:52 PM in response to gfindlay

I have never had any problems with my iPhone 4S until this 7.1 update. These reboot loops are frustrating.

Actually this is not a real reboot as the phone is not turned off. It gets to an iddle mode and you waste a lot of time several times a day. I hope Apple will manage to release a new update shortly because I am unable to use my phone for business anymore. Thanks.

Mar 13, 2014 1:54 AM in response to gfindlay

i have an iphone 5c. i usually dont like updating my phones since they will be prone to crashes. but was required to do so to be able to enjoy LTE. unfortunately since i upgraded my phone to 7.1 it continuously reboots itselt. and many times reboots after trying to access any specific apps.....

any way i can downgrade my phone ?

i really cant use it at its current state

Mar 14, 2014 7:11 AM in response to gfindlay

I installed 7.1 on my work phone 2 day ago.

So far, I've had 3 random reboots of the phone in the middle of the day.

Compared to the previous OSes, regarding look, feel and stability, iOS 7.1 is terrible.

The UI looks inconsistant and amateurish. This flat look is terrible, the color scheme is glaring. Give us back 6.x where we had a GOOD UI and actual stability of the device!

I never had 3 random reboots in 2 days with iOS 6.x and the UI didn't look like like a high school student's art project.

Mar 14, 2014 11:46 AM in response to gfindlay

I've noticed at least for me the reboot (or respring) happens in the calendar app. I also noticed that when the calendar view is enabled in my notification center, it reboots every time I pull down the notification center. I had to disable calendar view to be able to view notifications without rebooting.

I will attempt to restore through itunes to see if the problem will correct as joanneg1980 suggested above.

Mar 15, 2014 12:59 AM in response to gfindlay

@dkwillie

Exactly the same for me!

I have never had any reboot with my iphone 4 until the 7.1.

With the 7.1 update it is rebooting (more exactly respringing) every time I pull down the notification center when there is calendar event in it.

@dkwillie: don't waste your time: I've already restored my iphone but it is rebooting again.

Furthermore the 7.1 is draining my battery!!!! I didn't have any of these problems with previos versions.

Please Apple fix these problems asap!!!!!

Mar 16, 2014 3:00 AM in response to gfindlay

So - the old saying "an Apple a day keeps the doctor away" is now defunct

I never had reboot problems with pre IOS 7.1 releases.

Now? My Ipad Mini (1st Gen) is completely ruined. Reboots 100 times day

Here is what i attempted before i go to the Genius Bar next week (to be told "sorry you are out of guarantee = hardware problem = bibi") :-

Restore from new

Recover from new

Restore from an old backup (1 year old)

Do all the above within Itunes

Do it all outside of itunes and only on the Ipad itself

No success = Reboots occur as follows:- ANY TIME OF THE DAY OR IN ANY OPERATION YOU CAN THINK OF - AND I MEAN ANY - Safari, Calendar, Moving apps, Deleting apps, looking at a photo, listening to music, adjusting settings.

Reboots occur even straight after a recovery and just into the initial setup phase = "get started" - bang - reboot...

I was even rebooted typing this comment - so now i am on the laptop

Bye Bye Apple - i am selling all your stuff on the web to the first victim i can find. I am sure he will have fun going to and from your Stores.

Hello Samsung Galaxy Note 2014 edition.

Sick and tired of being taken for a very costly ride... Shame on them!

I adored my ipad mini. I blame hurried programmers who are not bullet-proofing their adjustments within a 100,000 strong circle of testers, BEFORE RELEASE. T'aint rocket science.

I have one suggestion:- Why on earth are all these apps that we used STAYING IN MEMORY after a power down power up? What for? Double click on the home button straight after a power up and you will see what i mean. When on earth did you ever see a pc do that (except from startup processes that we can control!) ?

weird stuff - i used to like Apple as a company for their everything works straight out of the box ethic. But now? hmmmmmmm

PS = All the above happened to my iPhone4 which is now bricked after IOS 7.1 - i threw it in the bin.

Mar 16, 2014 11:56 PM in response to thaleb

Hi ,I guess quality of the iphone lasted on the day we lost steve jobs. Sorry to say this 😢

my iphone 4 installed with update 7.1, screwd up my mobile. It is continuously rebooting. It is an issue thatcan befound by just installing the update. How come apple guys can release such update without proper testing.

Hope this will be addressed with high priority. Lot of important docs, contacts and other apps which required for a business willl be saved to iphone. please dont consider iphone just a device to play games.

Mar 17, 2014 12:30 AM in response to molve01

"Lots of important docs"?

I have ALL my bank accounts and passwords in Dropbox including the access details for 267 sites. There is also the WHOLE of my Employer's Business data on there = $75 bn turnover

Games? If you are over 30, are you really using an iphone for GAMES?!!!

I dont think so

So now after updating this rushed release onto my Iphone4 and Ipad Mini, (but not my Ip5 TG!) I have decided that they are irreparable and will either get put on Ebay for cheap or put in a drawer waiting the day that "reboots" are resolved.

In answer to your question "how come Apple guys can release such an update without proper testing", i honestly think they care more about the 95% of devices that seem to work than the 5% that don't

Anyway - i am off to the shops to see what Android tablets are around - Apple have seriously peed me off this time = 1500 bucks in 2 years their devices cost me - now completely ruined. I must have tried to restore "as new" 90 times plus since last wednesday (update day).

iOS 7.1 Random Reboots

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.