Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound problem with iPad Air on iOS 7.1

Recently I just got the iOS 7.1 update on my brand new iPad Air. I'm really glad they fixed a ton of problems in this update but it also created some new bugs. Some of the ones I've experienced so far all seems to be related to sound. Below is a list of sound problems I found and I hope someone can suggest a workaround or a temporary remedy to them:

1. Keypad sound is lagged when entering passcode to unlock the device. When I wake the iPad up from sleep and enter the passcode, I notice the first press does not make a sound but the other three presses that comes afterwards do.

2. Keyboard click sounds is inconsistent. When I use the magnify select feature and try to add or delete a letter when writing something the first keyboard click doesn't come up.

3. The sound when initiating Siri is bugged sometimes. When opening Siri sometimes only one beep is heard and not the usual two beeps.

4. Volume for videos app sounds muffled. This is the biggest problem I have right now. The volume level for other apps are fine, like Music and Safari, I can listen to songs and watch YouTube vids and hear everything loud and clear when the volume is turned to one third of the max volume. But in videos I have to turn it up to three fourths of the max volume just to hear them talk.

Am I the only one who ran into these annoyances? Can someone offer a solution to fix them?

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 7.1, Sound/volume issue

Posted on Mar 12, 2014 6:33 AM

37 replies

Mar 12, 2014 8:01 PM in response to Lexdexia

Try this - Reset the iPad by holding down on the Sleep and Home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider - let go of the buttons. (This is equivalent to rebooting your computer.) http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1430

Check your settings. The iPads have a small switch on the right edge. It can be used as a rotation lock to keep the screen from automatically reorienting itself as you move around, but you need to have the tablet’s settings configured properly. That same switch, right above the volume buttons, can also be set to function instead as a mute button to silence certain types of audio.

If the switch is set to work as a mute button, you can change its purpose to “screen-rotation lock” by tapping the Settings icon on the home screen. On the Settings screen, tap General on the left side, and on the right side of the screen flick down to “Use Side Switch to.” Tap to select Lock Rotation or Mute to set the button’s function. Even if you set the side switch for your preferred use, you can still mute the Mini or lock the screen. Just double-click the Home button, and when the panel of apps appears along the bottom edge of the screen, flick the row from left to right with your finger. Tap the icon on the far left side of the row to either lock the iPad’s screen or mute the iPad’s alerts, notifications and sound effects. Music, podcasts and video are not muted unless you turn the volume all the way down.

iPhone: No sound or distorted sound from speaker

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts5180

iPhone: Can’t hear through the receiver or speakers

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1630

http://www.atreks.com/app-no-sound-on-ipad-4-%E2%80%93-what-to-do/

To solve some sound problems, just follow these simple steps

1. Go to Settings

2. Tap on General

3. Tap on Reset

4. Tap on Reset All Settings

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Mar 13, 2014 1:56 AM in response to Lexdexia

I'v e updated my IPad Mini to the latest iOS 7.1 update today but the sound functionality is behaving in a strange manner.

I muted the sound using physical volume buttons on the side of the IPad Mini but strangely the volume in the panel,which can be flipped swiping upwards from the bottom of the screen,is still at max.

So unless I reduce the volume there it will still come.

In the Settings-->Sounds--->Ringer and Alerts section the option of "Change with Buttons" is enabled but it looks like the physical button pressing doesn't have any effect on the volume in the bottom panel.

So these two functions are out of sync.

I guess iOS 7.1 has broken this feature as it was perfectly working fine earlier, so Apple need to fix it in any minor update hereafter.

I've also tried the methods suggested in the post by Texas Mac Man but there is no resolution for this issue.

Thanks,

Bruce

Mar 18, 2014 9:01 AM in response to Lexdexia

NO NEED to reset settings nether restore!

There are some possibilities for sound problems - most of them are really simple:

http://youtu.be/SDf1LDcE95Q

(1min 36sec)

It covers the basics:

• checking side-switch / mute / "Control Center"
  • volume all up

...and also the worst cases:

• closing all apps (for rare cases when a single app might render the sound system instable)
  • rebooting the iPad

So, don't get desparete: try the things in the video.

There are people who reported having forgotten an audio-bluetooth connection activated with a turned-off sound-system or speakers... or forgot Air-Play turned on... so be sure you disengage bluetooth and/or airplay.

On the 'hardware side', dirty dock connector (30 pin) can make the iPad 'think' it is connected to external audio - if so, cleaning it with a dry toothbrush can fix. Also, moisture in the headphones connector can make the iPad switch to 'headphones' even without headphones connected, making it silent: check if you can hear things with headphones plugged in - if so, try gently inserting and removing headphones a few times and check if you get sound back to iPad's speakers alone.

Once more: no neet to reset settings, nether restore - save your time.

Mar 22, 2014 4:51 PM in response to Lexdexia

Tonight like a pain and sorrow, After I upgrade from iOS 5.1 to 7.1, I lost my Sound.
I was tried to restore from my computer... Then It's not work, I lost all my games and apps.

At the end after couple hours I was tried, but I get same result.

Finaly, 5 minutes ago, I was tried this :

- Go to SETTING -> SOUND

- Switch On -> "Change with Button"
- Move Volume To left (Mute)
- Go to Ringtone (Randomly select ringtone and I press Volume UP using button Volume)
- Go back to Ringer And Alert (Moves Volume down by touching screen and Increase Volume Up by pressing Volume Button)
- Reset iPad by press and holding Power+Home button 10 seconds.

And Now, My iPad's can speak without HeadPhone 🙂😉😀

Mar 26, 2014 3:23 AM in response to Lexdexia

I've tried all the above steps from cleaning the audio jack, reset all settings and playing around with the sound settings. The remote still does not work on my iPad and sound quality has been crap ever since!

Apple, you need to fix this problem ASAP as it's getting annoying having to manually skip songs using the home screen instead of the ear phone remote; which is what it was intended for!

Apr 13, 2014 2:56 PM in response to Lexdexia

I found a temporary fix to this problem. After watching something in videos app, the sound for key clicks and locking will be really low and barely audible. To fix this, just open the music app and let a song play. It will return the key click sounds back to normal level without the need of restarting your device. However the sound in the videos app remains muffled when you're watching something.

Apr 20, 2014 9:32 AM in response to Lexdexia

I have also got the IOS 7.1 update on my iphone 5 using wifi and also got the above problems plus the carrier signals issue. It shows only two dots when standby. But I can surf the internet (little bit slow than the previous version), can take calls, can receive calls and messages, etc. When Im taking a call it fills all 5 dots and after I end the call couple of seconds later going back to 2 dots. Volume of the video app is very low compared to music app. I saw some posts saying updating through wifi could make some problems. Could it be the reason for the issue? Can we solve this issue by reinstalling the OS through a machine connection? Because not everyone got this issue with ISO 7.1 update

Sound problem with iPad Air on iOS 7.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.