Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 7.1 lock screen freeze issue

Issue started when I upgraded the phone to iOS 7. My iPhone 5 started freezing at the lock screen from time to time. I can pull down/up the notification/control center if it is enabled but cannot press or select anything. Pressing the home button will invoke Siri but if you ask to call someone or open an App it will ask to unlock iPhone first and will display the keypad but you cannot press any numbers. Only resolution I could find for this is to reboot the phone. My 2 friends, one using an iPhone 4S and another using an iPhone5, has reported similar issue. This clearly explains it is a software bug and not a hardware one.

Even with each minor update upto iOS 7.0.6 did not give any fix for this issue. And yesterday I installed the latest version of iOS, i.e 7.1 and I am quite dissappointed to say that apple has ignored all their users complaints. The issue still exists in 7.1. I do not understand how a company like Apple can simply ignore such an embarrassing bug that causes their phone to freeze at the lock screen. Such a shame apple. Such a shame.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 13, 2014 9:04 AM

36 replies

Mar 13, 2014 9:27 AM in response to anz90

If you can, back up or copy all your phones photos, files etc. to your computer. Then use iTunes on your computer to Restore the software on your phone. Here's a link to describe that:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1414

If the restore does not solve the problem have a technician examine your phone. Make an appointment at an Apple Store to have your device examined by a technician. Or contact Apple Support.

Mar 18, 2014 11:46 AM in response to anz90

Same happed on my iPad mini. I don't have the iPad mini password protected and a reboot lets you in but so does this: Go to the camera app from the lock screen. I don't know if you need to take a photo but I did and deleted it along with an additional photo I didn't want any longer. After I quit the camera app, my iPad was unlocked and working normally... so far.

Mar 22, 2014 8:25 AM in response to SM00002

I can access and unlock the screen by double tapping on each number, but once I am on the home screen I cannot scroll to another page or scroll up or down once I am in Settings, Messages, etc.

I seem to have a white or black box, depending on the background colour, that surrounds whichever app I am attempting to use/open. That is what I cannot remove and isn't allowing me to access anything or scroll through.

And turning the phone on and off (as it is also an extreme challenge to do so) is not helping either.

Mar 25, 2014 8:31 PM in response to anz90

I am having this now on my iPad Air with iOS 7.1 (though not on my iPhone 5S). If I wait long enough it will ultimately respond. Doing a hard reset starts it up again when I am impatient, but it doens't prevent the problem. The iPad randomly freezes when it has been sitting around locked for some time (probably greater than 15 minutes).

FYI: With 7.0 both my iPhone and iPad crashed constantly. iOS 7.1 fixed that on my iPhone, and reduced crashes on my iPad (but not completely). More bugs for Apple to fix.

iOS 7.1 lock screen freeze issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.