Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage Inactive

I've been trying to set up iMessage on my computer for a while. I've finally verified my email for my Apple ID and everything, and then signed into iMessage. But whenever I try to send a text through iMessage on the computer, a box pops up and says I need to sign in. I found that, in the box where I type, it says "iMessage (inactive)". I have tried signing out and signing back in, disenabling iMessage then enabling it again, but it doesn't work. iMessage still works fine on my iTouch, just not on the computer. Anyone have any ideas?

😕

User uploaded file

Posted on Apr 6, 2014 5:38 AM

36 replies

Jun 20, 2017 1:13 PM in response to ayush243

Hi,

The Original Poster posted the Question over three years ago.

They awarded at least two Helpfuls early on in the thread.

I doubt anyone else is still subscribed to this Thread.

The issue was on a Mac and you seem to be explaining a way this would work on an iPhone.

User uploaded file

9:13 pm Tuesday; June 20, 2017

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 10.x and an iPad (2)

Apr 6, 2014 12:53 PM in response to Laven1379

Hi,

At OS X 10.8.2 Apple started using the Mac's Serial Number as part of the security checks to Login.

If it is not present on your Computer's Logic/mother board then the app will not sign in an iMessages ID

Check the Apple Icon Menu > About this Mac

Click twice on the lines that shows you the current OS version.

The first click will show you the Build Number and then the second should show you the Serial Number.

If it is missing you will need to visit an Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider to have it replaced.

It can sometimes be missing if someone forgot to "flash" it back to the new board if replaced during Repair or Refurbishment.

It seems that in Mavericks there odd cases where installing Mavericks actually loses access to the Serial Number and it has to be restored again at an Apple Store.

User uploaded file

8:53 pm Sunday; April 6, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Apr 8, 2014 1:17 PM in response to Laven1379

Hi,

In that case in Messages Menu > Preferences > Accounts sign out of the iMessages account

Shut down the app (Quit)

Restart the app and add back the Apple ID.

User uploaded file

9:17 pm Tuesday; April 8, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jun 28, 2014 10:45 PM in response to Laven1379

he bro,

i had the same problem. and i solved it. i think this is regarding the region, some regions doesn't support imessage and facetime..

goto messages menu - preferences - accounts - imessage: click on the details tab(just below the signout tab) signin to your apple id.. then the window will appear... at the bottom you can see location. select location as United states.. and save..

this solved my issue

🙂

Sep 6, 2014 12:20 PM in response to Austin5091

Hi,

So unlike the first post in this thread that has the pic of the Text insert box that reads "inactive" you are not getting this far ?

Whilst the you both may be having issues with sending iMessages you do in fact have different problems.

If you have the Messages that goes on to give you a Code number (we don't need to see it) and instructions to Contact Support it can only be corrected by Apple.

There are four other error messages that are listed here if you don't have that one.

FaceTime, Game Center, Messages: Troubleshooting sign in issues

User uploaded file

8:20 pm Saturday; September 6, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Sep 6, 2014 12:32 PM in response to Austin5091

Hi,

What have you tried so far ?

Restart the Computer ?

Check Date and Time settings on Mac and Router ? (Include the Time Zone on both as everything including an iMessage login is time stamped).

Restart using a PRAM/NVRAM reset ? (HOLD the ALT+CMD+P+R keys down at restart until you have heard three start up bongs then releases and allow it to boot).

User uploaded file

8:32 pm Saturday; September 6, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

iMessage Inactive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.