Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 7.1.1 New Update Problems!

I have just updated my iPhone 5s and iPad 4. My iPad is working fine but my iPhone isn't. It just comes up with a picture that shows that I should connect it to iTunes on my laptop. I have done that and now it is telling me to reset and restore my iPhone before I can use it on iTunes. iTunes is updating the software onto my iPhone via my laptop but it is taking hours. I wouldn't recomend anyone to update to this new software because is seems to work for some people but not others.

Nothing is working and I don't know what to do!

Is anyone else having the same problem?

Does anyone know how to fix it?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1.1, Not Working at the Moment

Posted on Apr 26, 2014 12:49 AM

71 replies

Apr 26, 2014 12:57 AM in response to Jessica1412

The update is very important it has security updates which keep your phone safe, most people update fine, make sure you have no apps in the background, plug the phone into the wall so it has power and it should update fine. Your phone is downloading the 1.2GB update and will apply that then you can load the latest backup from iTunes or iCloud so do not worry. This is the security link for the 7.1.1 update. Please dont tell people not to update. Hope all goes well. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6208

Apr 26, 2014 1:04 PM in response to Jessica1412

I have the same problem with iphone 5. Tried to download update 7.1.1. Three times kept saying about verification problem and bricked. After about an hour or so each time (after holding power and home button - trying everything), eventually got it to restart

Today tried to download again. This time got stuck with itunes logo on screen. Have tried to connect to itunes, which said each time phone was in recovery mode. But would not allow me to exit or recover phone. Now phone still stuck with itune logo, and not showing up at all on itunes on my imac.

BT engineers don't know how to correct (their geek squad). Apple want £26 to deal with this (although it's their software download that's caused it).

No phone, everything gone (most probably synced to PC), but I am unable to call friends now.

What can I do. There seems to be no word from Apple about this. I even see the Daily Mail (english newspaper is trying to get an answer about this)

Apr 26, 2014 3:06 PM in response to kdeisher

Pleased to hear you got back in. How can I get my iphone 5 to work again? It's bricked with the itunes logo on the screen (telling me to connect to itunes). I have home/power started and just go backs to the itunes logo. I can switch it off, but if I try charging it switches back on to the itunes logo again. Initially told problems or something with verification, then phone was in recovery mode and did I want to do the recovery (but it wouldn't).

Before when I connected to itunes on my imac, it either couldn't find the phone, or on one occasion I apparently managed to download 7.1.1, but I was still left with itunes logo on the screen.

In short iphone bricked and can't do anything. And no idea what I can do. Why isn't Apple responding as this seems to be a problem affecting many users. I have spent about 4 days messing about with this download and am totally ****** off now.

Apr 26, 2014 7:35 PM in response to Jessica1412

I just updated my iPad 2 to iOS 7.1.1 over the WiFi. In short, the update bricked my iPad and put me in Restore mode. I had to reset to Factory Settings, which caused me to lose data from apps I hadn't backed up. Unfortunately, I had a lot of apps and I had forgotten to back up some important data. Naturally, this incident left a negative impression on me. In fact, I don't think I'll be replacing that iPad 2 for the newer Air model.

Apr 26, 2014 7:41 PM in response to ricesrey

ricesrey wrote:

I just updated my iPad 2 to iOS 7.1.1 over the WiFi. In short, the update bricked my iPad and put me in Restore mode. I had to reset to Factory Settings, which caused me to lose data from apps I hadn't backed up. Unfortunately, I had a lot of apps and I had forgotten to back up some important data.

The iPad is backed up whenever you sync.

Apr 26, 2014 7:49 PM in response to Chris CA

ricesrey wrote:

I just updated my iPad 2 to iOS 7.1.1 over the WiFi. In short, the update bricked my iPad and put me in Restore mode. I had to reset to Factory Settings, which caused me to lose data from apps I hadn't backed up. Unfortunately, I had a lot of apps and I had forgotten to back up some important data.

Chris CA wrote:

The iPad is backed up whenever you sync.

I know, but I haven't synced to my iTunes in over a year.

iOS 7.1.1 New Update Problems!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.