Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air Mid 2014 but shows Mid 2013

I just received my MacBook Air yesterday, the latest 1.4GHz i5 processor, customized to 8GB ram, and after setting it up and installing/updating everything i need (took me whole night to that), I looked into "About This Mac" and it says there "Mid 2013", everything else in System Report is as per the latest model. I checked the box before I opened, and everything is also as per specification, but I would assume it should say "Mid 2014".

I'm on the phone with Apple Support as I type, earlier was on the online support chat, and they were as baffled how did this happen. They even offered a replacement but I will need to send it back. Now that I am on the phone with them, the only explanation they gave me is that, ALL the new MacBook Air's says "Mid 2013", that indicates hardware date, despite them being "new". And assured me there's no issue with it.

I argued that depreciates the value of the MacBook Air almost immediately, and I felt cheated buying a 2014 model but instead I got 2013 hardware! And since I have been on hold for 20 minutes at least, while they check. A senior advisor came on and explained, that as there were no major changes in the MacBook Air, it is still Mid 2013 model BUT the specifications are 2014.

Based on that explanation, I assume EVERY MacBook Air with the 1.4GHz processor that was released this year, should say Mid 2013. BUT if there is even one that says 2014, I believe every owner would want one. And I stressed to the support personnel that if at any time I find one that says 2014, I will refer back to this case and demand for a replacement.

So if other owners would just post your "About This Mac" and verify this explanation, for the benefit of everyone.User uploaded file

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on May 22, 2014 7:40 PM

86 replies

May 22, 2014 11:08 PM in response to Lip Seng

Looking at the specs for both the Mid 2012 and Early 2013 MacBook Airs

Both the 2013 and 2014 MBA's have the same ID info as shown below, so this may be why the Early 2014 MBA shows as a Mid 2013.

Model Identifier: MacBookAir6,1

Model Number: A1465

Order Number: MD711LL/B (128 GB storage), MD712LL/B (256 GB storage)

The Main difference is the processor in each model. The Mid 2013 has a 1.3GHz i5-4250U Haswell Processor, and the Early 2014 has a 1.4 GHz i5-4260U Haswell Processor.

You can use the following command in the Terminal to determine which processor you have:

sysctl -n machdep.cpu.brand_string

May 23, 2014 12:03 PM in response to Lip Seng

I have the same problem. I bought the 13" 8GB model and it says "mid 2013", although it also shows the 1.4Ghz CPU. The sales person said that apple didn't bother to change the "about mac" section and i definitely have the 2014 version. I agree with you though. They should've changed that since it's definitely confusing and might lower the resale value.

May 28, 2014 1:01 AM in response to Lip Seng

Hey,

i've exactly the same "problem":

User uploaded file

Lip Seng wrote:

A senior advisor came on and explained, that as there were no major changes in the MacBook Air, it is still Mid 2013 model BUT the specifications are 2014.

Based on that explanation, I assume EVERY MacBook Air with the 1.4GHz processor that was released this year, should say Mid 2013. BUT if there is even one that says 2014, I believe every owner would want one. And I stressed to the support personnel that if at any time I find one that says 2014, I will refer back to this case and demand for a replacement.

It is easy to prove the contrary. There are heaps of videos on Youtube that show early 2014 models, on whose "About this Mac" dialog is written: "early 2014"
For example, to see in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjkrv2-kwCs) , at approximately 2:55 minutes.

Jun 2, 2014 2:32 PM in response to Lip Seng

I am having the same exact issue. I thought the reason might be because my customized version which has a 1.7 Ghz Core i7 is the same processor as the mid-2013 models. However in looking at some other posts online people with customized versions that have 8 GB of memory are having the same issue, even if their processor is the 1.4 Ghz Core i5 which is only included in the early 2014 models.

They Early-2014 Models came out on April 29th 2014, and looking at my serial number you can see that my computer was made AFTER that date.

There are however computers that show do Early 2014 such as the MacBook Air in this unboxing video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjkrv2-kwCs

What's interesting is the computer in the video was made BEFORE mine (from the serial number) yet it shows as newer in Apple's system

Now I have seen some posts indicating that apple will fix this issue via an update, however it is NOT just a software issue but also an issue in Apple's computer systems

If I look my device up on https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

It shows as a mid-2013 Model, whereas if I look up the MBA in the YouTube unboxing it shows as an early 2014.

I really hope Apple fixes this, I have spoken with managers at two Apple Retail stores and they offered to exchange my device within the return period, but I have yet to have gotten a chance to head over, I will likely within a day or two.

Jun 2, 2014 2:40 PM in response to grahas

grahas wrote:

I thought the reason might be because my customized version which has a 1.7 Ghz Core i7 is the same processor as the mid-2013 models

You have NO ISSUE whatsoever.

The I7 wasnt changed, only the I5 CPU. 😊

grahas wrote:

If I look my device up on https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

It shows as a mid-2013 Model, whereas if I look up the MBA in the YouTube unboxing it shows as an early 2014.

thats a distinction without a difference as regards the I7.

2013 mid and made 2014 AS regards the I7 is the same machine. same specs.

same same

Jun 2, 2014 2:45 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas

Exactly which means that Apple's systems have an issue if they are inconsistant in saying weather the machine is 2013 or 2014. A 1.4 Ghz core i5 is a 2014 model, yet some machines show 2013 and some show 2014.

My point is if a Core i5 1.4 Ghz model is a 2014 model System Profile and Apple Support Profile showuld show EARLY 2014 not MID 2013.

They are being inconsistant because seen 1.4 Ghz Core i5 show both. Some 2013, and some 2014

Jun 2, 2014 2:52 PM in response to grahas

grahas wrote:

A 1.4 Ghz core i5 is a 2014 model, yet some machines show 2013 and some show 2014.

The "year" (config.) designator isnt found IN the CPU when it reports a "2013" running at 1.4Ghz.

The only point is, Apple isnt selling anyone a 2014 model (1.4Ghz) I5 that is really a 2013 I5 model (1.3Ghz).

Bit faster on the I5, AND $100 off (on both I5 and I7).

Anyone with a I5 running 1.4Ghz has , defacto, a 2014 build.

Regardless of a designation error (which isnt coming from the CPU [of course]).

😉

Nobody is getting the 'wrong machine', when they go purchase the i5 1.4Ghz 2014 build etc etc.

Contact Apple Inc. about the designator 'error'.

Jun 2, 2014 8:45 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas

PlotinusVeritas wrote:

grahas wrote:

I thought the reason might be because my customized version which has a 1.7 Ghz Core i7 is the same processor as the mid-2013 models

BTW I would like to clear something up on my end. Mine isn't actually "customized". It is actually as special Apple Store only retail SKU, as this is a "Base Model" that the Apple Store (Brick and Mortar) stocks. So it is actually a different SKU than if I had it customeized.

MacBook Air Mid 2014 but shows Mid 2013

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.