Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why am I getting a popup window asking me to login to mevio?

Not long after I start Itunes, a popup window appears telling me to access a podcast I need to login to www.mevio.com. In the several years I have been using itunes, specifically for podcasts, I have never seen this window before. It will not allow me to make any entry, nor close it, nor close itunes. itunes will show as not responding on the windows task manager. I ran the repair function available in Windows Software and nothing changed. I am unable to run itunes for anything - play music, watch podcasts, etc.

Windows 7

Posted on Jun 9, 2014 8:54 PM

43 replies

Jun 10, 2014 4:29 PM in response to turingtest2

Were that possible, or at least a reasonable investment of time, I'd do it. But I'm a podcaster who follows many podcasts. And if I can't start iTunes, I can't locate the culprit. I can't even see the full list b/c I can't scroll. And I'm seeing things at the top of the list that aren't in my iTunes library.

Curiouser and curiouser.

However, I did try starting iTunes with my shift key down.

That (finally) let me open the podcast list and delete everything.

Which stinks, but there it is.

Now, of course, my iPhone sync is flawed (registering 2000 songs after a sync when I'm telling it to sync 0). I'm trying to clear the phone's memory since iTunes keeps telling me there's no room on my phone.

Don't know if it's related.

Very curious to see if the shift key thing works for anyone else.

Message was edited by: MamaO--premature reply

Jun 10, 2014 4:48 PM in response to MamaO

Thanks for the idea about starting iTunes while holding the shift key. The pop up window still appears but I can cancel and close it - everything is not frozen like it was before. I have MANY podcasts that I am NOT interested in deleting at all! Why isn't there an easy way to find out which podcast was hosted by MEVIO?

Once I cancelled the Mevio login window - I have been able to update podcasts. Guess I will be able to tell which is affected when it doesn't get updated.

I supposed we should stay tuned!

Jun 10, 2014 4:42 PM in response to MamaO

Well unsubscribing each show rather than deleting would have been a less dramatic initial response, if slightly more time consuming, particularly if there were downloaded episodes that you had yet to listen to. You could then have re-enabled each working feed. Do you have a backup you could restore? There can't have been that many feeds that used that service can there?

tt2

Jun 10, 2014 4:52 PM in response to turingtest2

Honestly, Turingtest2 (love the name, btw), if I hadn't wasted all my available time this morning on figuring out a work-around I probably would have unsubbed. But I was out of time and furious.

So.

Deleting it was.

I honestly have zero idea how many of my feeds could have been on mevio. Some went back to 2006. One of the benefits of iTunes was not having to pay any attention to any of that--which is why so many of my listeners (esp those who've been with me since 2006) who aren't Mac people still listen via iTunes/iPods/apps.

I don't know.

It seems to me that a patch from Apple pinging all Mevio feeds to freeze them would have saved an awful lot of people an awful lot of hassle.

It's not like this is the only thread noting this issue.

Jun 10, 2014 5:03 PM in response to MamaO

Can't say I know enough about how it works under the hood to make any useful suggestions, but it seems that apart from serving as an initial index from which people might subscribe Apple don't have much to do with the process. iTunes gets the data from an rss feed which could be served from anywhere. If the feed goes down iTunes says something like 'There was a problem downloading <Podcast Title> - The URL "<Feed URL>" could not be found on the server.' In this case mevio.com have closed their site and password protected access to it which is tripping up iTunes. However there are legitimate password protected feeds so this of itself shouldn't really have caused iTunes to lock up.

tt2

Jun 11, 2014 2:17 AM in response to AntBee2

Simple workaround for me was to cancel the dialog (appears others might be unable to do this), then I unsubscribed to podcasts I wasn't getting recent updates on then did a refresh - dialog didn't reappear which meant one of those was the culprit. If you get the dialog again then repeat the process until the dialog stops appearing. If you had the patience you could unsubscribe a few podcasts, refresh, then repeat if you're still getting the dialog. I suppose if you were unable to cancel the dialog you might try opening iTunes with the shift key held down, unsubscribe all your podcasts, then re-subscribe a few at a time, then refresh, then repeat.

Jun 11, 2014 9:13 AM in response to AntBee2

I've been getting the same error. I subscribe to only a few podcasts and found that it is "The Art of Photography" podcast. I confirmed this by a Google search, which turned up the result "Mevio is canceling The Art of Photography". So, there you have it. If that doesn't fix it, not sure what the issue is, but I deleted the podcast and haven't seen the error since.

Why am I getting a popup window asking me to login to mevio?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.