Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

About this New Apple Support Community???

We Need to put this Apple Support Community Message Board back to the Classic way, this 1 is horrible 😟 i'm not being mean just stating my opinion thats all, it's up to you at Apple what to do though it's your choice it's only an opinion so i hope i did not say anything wrong???

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 9:34 PM

18 replies

Jul 15, 2014 11:07 AM in response to Apple4Ever556

It needs a lot of improvements. See like Apple didn't check out the competition for other forums are doing things. Even Microsoft has better forums.

Here is my collection of work-arounds.

The June 2014 Forum

Here are user improvements:

Hiroto's CSS changes to improve the readablity of the forums.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6428850

turingtest2's easy to navigate list of forums.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2463

Jul 15, 2014 5:35 PM in response to rccharles

rcc...... et al

rcc, you are a Firefox user right? I have found faster & fastest way to search ASC - Google.

use this format exactly as you see it spaces and NOT spaces without the quotes unless you want the phrase::

" your search terms site:discussions.apple.com "

This will confine the results to ASC. Then you can use the refinements Google provides on the left to restrict by time - 1 hour, 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 1 year - then sort by relevance or date.

Lightning fast. Will pick up stuff posted <30 minutes old.

Additionally, try FF add-on "FastestFox" - many search enhancements especially for Google & Wikipedia

CCC

User uploaded file

Jul 17, 2014 9:58 PM in response to Apple4Ever556

I agree. The search is completely unresponsive, only get a spinning wheel, no matter what search topic, browser, or isp used. Odd that a google search is more effective for finding results on this site than using the site's own search. Disconcerting for more novice users that are having a technical issue, then discover that the support site does not work either. Please fix

Jul 18, 2014 12:07 PM in response to cbagwell

cbagwell wrote:

Odd that a google search is more effective for finding results on this site than using the site's own search.

Not really odd at all. Google is one of the largest & most profitable companies in the world. Its profits are dependent on developing ever more sophisticated search algorithms that run on its formidable & expanding network of massive data centers around the world. ASC runs on site management software developed by Jive Software, whose total operating budget probably is no more than a rounding error of Google's profits, much less its development budget.

EDIT: I got curious enough about this to quickly scan the two companies' 10-K filings. Jive's reported R&D expenditures for 2013 were about $55 million, impressive until I looked at the corresponding number for Google, which was about $1700 million!

Jul 18, 2014 1:27 PM in response to R C-R

R C-R wrote:

cbagwell wrote:

Odd that a google search is more effective for finding results on this site than using the site's own search.

Not really odd at all. Google is one of the largest & most profitable companies in the world. Its profits are dependent on developing ever more sophisticated search algorithms that run on its formidable & expanding network of massive data centers around the world. ASC runs on site management software developed by Jive Software, whose total operating budget probably is no more than a rounding error of Google's profits, much less its development budget.

EDIT: I got curious enough about this to quickly scan the two companies' 10-K filings. Jive's reported R&D expenditures for 2013 were about $55 million, impressive until I looked at the corresponding number for Google, which was about $1700 million!

R C -R

[snicker]

.I got curious too. Looked at pricing for Enterprise Business In-Website Search BOX - 500k searches / year = $2000. 1Million+ = call for pricing 👿

Needless to say, WE are a free service TO A P P L E. Why buy the cow when you get the milk for free.

Easy to automate a google site search with a bookmark - or if you type real fast... 😎

CCC

About this New Apple Support Community???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.