Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

It says I have over 5000 pictures on my iphone when I connect it to my mac taking up 11GB of space, but I only have just over 2000 in my camera roll? All my storage is now full up. Has anyone got any suggestions please?

It is saying I have more picture on my phone but I cannot locate them to delete them. Also it says I have 4.5GB of apps when all of them totalled up doesn't add up to this amount. So all in all I now have no storage left on my phone and cannot even back it up anymore as it is over capacity

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1

Posted on Jul 28, 2014 4:00 PM

92 replies

Sep 8, 2014 1:05 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks Lawrence. I have tried literally everything now and it still won't locate the pictures. It says I have 5132 photos in the about section on my iphone but when I go into the photos app it only says 3200 or around that figure. I haven't got any way to locate these pictures they are nowhere to be found on my phone but taking up all my storage. I like having a lot of the picture i have on my phone hence why I have them on here but I have put them all onto my computer as well but id rather just delete these unknown photos and keep the ones I have than delete all of my photos. Put it like this even if I was to delete all of my photos off my phone it would still state 1200+ stored somewhere on my phone. If u could advise anything for this it would be much appreciated

Jul 30, 2014 6:54 AM in response to Dan1807

Hello Dan1807

Check out the Usage in Settings > General > Usage and look at what is taking up the space there. What you may find is that you exported all the photos in the Camera Roll but may have photos taking up space in Photo Stream. You can delete certain items directly from here if you want to. If you have imported in your photos, try deleting them from your iPhone to make some space. Also restart your iPhone as it can clear out any cache that may be lingering when you last synced.

Understanding iOS device capacity

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1867

Turn your iOS device off and on (restart) and reset

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1430

Regards,

-Norm G.

Jul 30, 2014 3:55 PM in response to norm123

Hi Norm123,

I have looked at my camera roll and it has 2603 photos totalling 9.8GB within the usage. My photo stream has 1000 totalling 1.6GB. I can't work out where the extra photos are within my phone as it's saying I still have 5000+ photos but cannot locate them. If you could asvise any more it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

Jul 30, 2014 5:44 PM in response to Dan1807

Open the Photos app. Are there any photos there other than the Camera Roll?

Were any of the photos taken with HDR enabled? Remember that HDR takes multiple images for 1 picture.

And finally, it's a bad idea to leave a lot of photos in your Camera Roll. It slows down the camera, and if the phone ever crashes you will lose them. Transfer them to your computer (as you would with any digital camera), then sync back just the ones you really want on the phone to the Photos app. See:

iOS: Import personal photos and videos from iOS devices to your computer

and

iTunes: Syncing photos

Nov 3, 2014 11:11 PM in response to Dan1807

HI: I had the same problem and it bugged me for days! I finally figured out what my issue was. On my iphone after touching the Photos icon I found 2 folders. One was "camera roll" and the other was "recently deleted". In "recently deleted" there were a number of photos and I guess movies. If you touch the "photos" you can delete them. I got back almost 10 gigs of space on my phone!!! Very happy now. I hope this helps. Bill

Jan 17, 2015 9:30 AM in response to Dan1807

I am having this same problem. My phone has 41 pictures and videos showing in my Camera Roll (this is also what it says in iPhoto when I plug in my phone to my computer), but down at the bottom of the Camera Roll it says that there are 230 photos and 29 videos. In addition, when I plug my phone into my computer and look at the "summary" on iTunes it says I have 735 photos taking up 5.3GB of space.

I've disabled Photostream and deleted everything from the "Recently Deleted" album. I've downloaded the latest update and restarted my phone. These discrepancies persist.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Jan 22, 2015 9:02 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Same problem here.

It seems to be related to videos in my case.

If have 57 pictures in my Camera Roll but iTunes says that I have 131 for a total of 11Gb. Destroying recently deleted pictures did improve the data usage (it was 165 pictures for 13.5 Gb prior doing it), but there is still a lot of unaccounted-for storage that is being eaten up by hidden photos and videos.

I had previously recorded long videos that I have deleted about a month ago, it would be consistent with the data usage that I am seeing. 131 pictures will not eat up 11 GB of data, but videos might.

I have purchased a 64 GB iPhone6 because I did not wanted to run into storage issues...

I would love to recover this space.

It says I have over 5000 pictures on my iphone when I connect it to my mac taking up 11GB of space, but I only have just over 2000 in my camera roll? All my storage is now full up. Has anyone got any suggestions please?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.