Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP Retina Scratched Coating

I was cleaning my 15" MBP Retina today using a cloth that came with it and noticed that some of the coating on the black outer border was coming off. At first it looked like smudges until I went back over it and noticed it was coming off and getting larger. Anyone hear of or had this issue? Is it ok? Cleaning it before so everything was ok, but the problem appeared only now. I bought my MBP less than a year ago 😟

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 29, 2014 4:15 PM

29 replies

Sep 24, 2014 4:57 AM in response to tradyan

Just called in Apple, cited the example of your situation, they said that they can do nothing.

Unfortunately, in Russia there is no Apple Store (bought on the official website apple.ru to no problems with warranty. Had to buy the American, price $300 cheaper). There are only certified repair services and telephone support. And they all say that they will not repair it under warranty. Such double standards at Apple.

Feb 7, 2015 3:43 AM in response to endstufe

My MBP Retina 13" -Oct '13 has developed a discolouration of the black screen coating on the top left and bottom left sides. It is visible in bright light/sunlight and seems that the black colour is wearing off. I have been extremely careful about periodic cleaning and use a Moshi Teraglove sometimes with a little water sprayed on it. From the time of purchase, I have used the MBP in a BookBook case also purchased from the Apple store.

It is possible that this has happened gradually but became more noticeable now when I saw it under bright light/sunlight.

In normal light it is hardly noticeable but one can see it if one looks for it.

Now I can't help looking at it all the time. Am very concerned that this can happen to a MBP just over a year old and very carefully maintained. My Late '08 MB 13" Aluminium also has a black coated screen and is still in perfect shape!

Will welcome any suggestions. My warranty is over since October '14 and I do not have Applecare.

Shankar

Macbook Pro Retina 13" Late '13-Yosemite

Mar 16, 2015 1:46 AM in response to barryblu

This is really odd as the number of people reporting this problem seems to be increasing. Also it does not seem to happen to older Macs or even to MBA's. If normal and careful cleaning can cause this then everyone using a MBP Retina is in danger. And it appears suddenly, that is, nothing happens and all is fine till one day the problem surfaces. Even if one pays for the repairs,or gets a new one, you start thinking twice whether the next purchase should be a Mac!

Mar 17, 2015 9:52 PM in response to A.Tom

The more the merrier! But seriously will someone (or Apple) tell us why this is happening? One can understand such things if there is careless handling or use of solutions/materials etc which can cause damage: But for this to happen with careful use and to happen "suddenly" are perilous omens for the product. If any of us users are convinced that we are at fault then we should just shut up and accept it- what we do in future with repairs or substitutes is of course a different matter.

Mar 30, 2015 4:27 PM in response to endstufe

I have this exact same problem.

Apple REFUSED the repair of my MBP late 2013 within warranty!

I am very unhappy with this, as the screen coating is starting to wear off towards the center of the screen. This was an expensive machine and it is obviously a problem in the manufacture of the screen, poor quality of the coating, poor conformity of the product.

Also, shame on the Apple support 😟

Mar 30, 2015 4:33 PM in response to endstufe

I have this exact same problem.

Apple REFUSED the repair of my MBP late 2013 within warranty!

I am very unhappy with this, as the screen coating is starting to wear off towards the center of the screen. This was an expensive machine and it is obviously a problem in the manufacture of the screen, poor quality of the coating, poor conformity of the product.

Also, shame on the Apple support 😟

MBP Retina Scratched Coating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.