Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

national security agency virus when I run safari

National Security Agency virus shows up when I run Safari. How do I get rid of it?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Sep 6, 2014 5:36 PM

14 replies

Sep 6, 2014 6:15 PM in response to Jsenpaducah

I am assuming the webpage resembles this:

User uploaded file

Their appearance varies, but the accusations and threats are always the same. It's simply a scam web page created in a pathetic attempt to defraud gullible users into paying a "ransom" to unlock Safari, which might not work even if you paid. They are very common and can be created by anyone, anywhere on Earth, in minutes.

Follow this recovery procedure:

1. If Safari is running, force it to quit.
  2. Hold a shift key while launching Safari again.

Holding a Shift key when re-launching Safari causes it to load only your chosen Home page. Otherwise, its default behavior is to reload all previously loaded pages, which would include the scam website.

These scams don't infect Macs with anything, but to completely remove any browser "cookies" and data the scam website may have left behind, go to the Safari menu > Preferences > Privacy, and select Remove All Website Data... > Remove Now.

You will need to sign in again with all websites that require authentication (such as this one).

If the scam webpage continues to appear write back for additional instructions.

Sep 6, 2014 6:52 PM in response to macuser51

That's a completely different problem, though it might have been related to visiting that page. As you determined, reinstalling OS X will have no effect.

You may have inadvertently installed adware. Eradicating it is simple. For an explanation or how this may have occurred, how to avoid it in the future, and for one possible solution read How to install adware.

Follow the Recovery Procedure at the end, but I recommend you read the entire document so that you can recognize the threat of adware when it eventually appears in another form.

Sep 6, 2014 7:48 PM in response to John Galt

Thanks! It worked. I suppose I deserve the lecture in your Recovery Procedure document, it was a stupid thing to click on. Although I did recognize the video player that inadvertently caused it as something valid, and I noticed something weird halfway through and stopped and tried to trash everything, but too late! Your technical directions were perfect (except I had to go the top menu bar to get to Services and Reveal in Finder). It's all good now. Thanks again!

national security agency virus when I run safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.