Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone not syncing mulitmedia after iOS 8 update

OS 10.7.5

iTunes 11.4 (18)

iPhone 5s iOS8

I just recently updated to iOS 8 and now I'm not able to sync my music and movies to my iPhone. The free space is not taken when the sync completes and the when selecting my iPhone and checking it's contents in iTunes, it shows both the music and video library that all the files that should be in there, but with an dashed circuit next to all of them (showing they were not synced).

Has anyone experienced this and what is the cause? Is this related to the iOS upgrade? More importantly, how can I resolve this?

Basically, I've only done a restart on both my iPhone and on my Mac after a restart in iTunes didn't work.

Edit: I should add that a few (less than 50) songs were actually added. What I did was remove all my movies and music prior to the iOS 8 update to clear space. Once the update went through (seems to have had no issues), I went to sync my playlists back. It was then I discovered that the files were showing they should be there, but were not actually synced.

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 1:25 PM

69 replies

Sep 17, 2014 2:33 PM in response to Arnell

Update: I have done nothing more than unchecked syncing for both music and movies. I hit sync and let it "try" to sync. After a few syncs, it seems my movies were removed and my music removed physically on my iPhone. The difference was, the songs that were previously loaded were no longer there. That being said, it still showed on iTunes on my iPhone these files should be in there. After, I ran another sync and the majority of my music and movies actually synced across to my iPhone. That being said, it was still incomplete. There are roughly 50 songs that need to be synced and not all the artwork was transferred over as well. I also noticed that my internet connect connection has been spotty at best. Meaning it's continually dropping due to an outage in the area. Is my internet connection playing a role here?

Sep 17, 2014 7:17 PM in response to Arnell

Update: I was finally forced to do a RESTORE, which is time consuming. I'm puzzled as to why this happens and/or why this happens half the time I do an upgrade. I simply did a back up and then a restore to replace my settings on my apps. Now it seems to sync as expected, but I'm having individual issues where it's checked to sync, but doesn't actually load on the phone. I don't have iCloud activated either.

Sep 18, 2014 12:21 AM in response to Arnell

I also had this issue - well, whilst updating to ios8 the setting for itunes match was turned from off to on - not sure why apple think it's fine to do this. Never had this happen before!?

this resulted in all my music on iPad and iPhone being deleted. Then whilst trying to copy the music back after the upgrade was complete, the synch to my MacBook crashed and I was left with huge chunk of 'other' data that was in effect the music data but it wasn't being recognised by the devices.

Ended up having to do a restore - which lost lots of in app data - and still need to synch the music on to my iPhone properly. Currently it shows the music as selected and installed within itunes but there is nothing on the actual device. Soooo annoyed that apple have decided to toggle on iTunes match during the ios8 update - has taken hours of my life up for no reason!?

Sep 18, 2014 11:53 PM in response to Arnell

I can´t sync my iPhone 4s anymore after updating to iTunes 11.4 (OSX 10.6.8) and IOS8. My iPhone appaers and is shown with the correct contents (Storage-Bar in Itunes. But actually the phone is empty. No pictures, videos & music.

The sync button is grayed out. As soon as i make changes to the sync-setup the sync starts but stops immediatly after a second with no error.

Can anyone help me?

Sep 19, 2014 3:51 AM in response to Arnell

I'm having the same issue. It appeared after i tried to sync a song I had added on my library. It didn't sync the song and deleted all of the songs instead. I unchecked "sync the music" and it seems to have deleted all of the songs from my iPod. Physically speaking, i couldn't see them anymore in my music app. So i tried to sync everything back and it seemed to be working. When i checked the sync this morning, half of the songs lack of artwork and Itunes tells me there is no music on it.
I've had the same issue in the past and a restore was the only solution I had. I'm just trying to avoid it since it's extremely long and it makes you lose app data. Right now, I have to delete all of the music again. I guess I really have to restore.

Sep 19, 2014 3:18 PM in response to Arnell

Same issue here. iTunes 11.4 on iMac, just upgraded to iOS8 and had to do it through iTunes on the computer because not enough room. Had to keep syncing my iPhone 5S to get the apps to load, then music disappeared. I've freed up plenty of space but it still won't load. I don't have iTunes match so not sure what to uncheck (it has an option to subscribe in settings).

iPhone not syncing mulitmedia after iOS 8 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.