Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8 3G to 2G toggle missing

Hi,

I just upgraded my iPhone 5s 16GB to iOS 8. Everything seems ok but for one problem.

There used to be a "Enable 3G" toggle in the cellular data menu. It is no longer present and has been replaced by "Enable LTE".

The issue is that some carriers do not let customers use 3G unless they've opted for a specific plan. And even if they do, it's limited. So after a particular amount of fixed data, charges pile up quickly.

Here in India, carriers usually don't roll out individual patches/ upgrades. Is there any plan to roll out a Enable 3G switch? Or will the carriers release a specific update for it?

Thanks,

Pranay Mankad

Mumbai, India

iPhone 5s

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 7:12 PM

97 replies

Sep 17, 2014 10:18 PM in response to pranay245

Hello,

I updated my iPhone5 to iOS8 and it didn't show 'Enable 3G' toggle button.

Instead 'Enable LTE' toggle button is shown.

I was not able to connect to 3G network after upgrade and only 2G was working upon enabling Cellular Data and enabling LTE.

After Restarting Phone:

1. Phone is connected to 3G network.

2. Toggled 'Enale LTE' to 'OFF' -> 3G is disconnected and connected again.

3. Toggled 'Cellular Data' to 'OFF' -> No data network connected

4. Toggled 'Cellular Data' to 'ON' -> 3G is connected again.

Now, the problem is how to disable '3G' and to start using '2G' data network?

Regards

Harminder Singh

Sep 18, 2014 1:30 AM in response to pranay245

Many carriers don't want to support 2G anymore and have asked Apple to remove the toggle from iOS.

For example, US customers lost the 3G toggle on AT&T networks with the release of iOS 7, at AT&T's request.

In short, contact your carrier and ask them, though I suspect most will have no idea as decisions like this are typically made at a high corporate level.

Sep 18, 2014 1:39 AM in response to pranay245

I too have the same problem. Usually when you are getting carrier update it will happen like this. But while updating to iOS8 i didnt get any carrier update. So it is the problem with the iOS, My carrier didnt push any update.

and inside setting -> General -> About -> carrier is showing as carrier 14.0.

Something is wrong apple pls take action immediately.

Sep 18, 2014 1:50 AM in response to Dogcow-Moof

it's not from the carrier. I'm working in my carrier in mid level and nobody knows anything about this, neithe my boss who is a finance manager of the corporation... The problem is from Apple and this terrible iOS update. In fact of this the 3G network here is not very good so it's nonsence our carrier to asking Apple to remove the support of 2g...

iOS 8 3G to 2G toggle missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.