Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 home button issue iOS 8

iPhone 5 / 64GB / AT&T, previous OS: 7.1.2

After upgrading to iOS 8, single click the home button would sporadically bring up the multitasking screen, instead of going back to the home screen. This appears to happen regardless of what app I single click the home button in.

I have since performed the following:

1) Settings / General / Reset / Reset All Settings

2) Restore using iTunes, set up as a new phone

The issue persists.

I have then downgraded back to 7.1.2. The issue no longer appears. So this does not appear to be a hardware issue.

Anyone else seeing this?

-alex

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 8:19 PM

210 replies

Sep 18, 2014 11:46 AM in response to gail from maine

The purpose of this thread is to assess if this issue has been observed by other users. While I wouldn't call the problem wide-spread, it does not appear to be an isolated case on my phone based on the feedback so far.

I am working with Apple support and providing them with diagnostics information. While the root cause is being identified, I do encourage affected users to leave a note in this thread with device configuration information.

-alex

Sep 18, 2014 12:41 PM in response to alex.jiang

Thanks for starting this thread. I am having the exact same problem as well only after upgrading to iOS 8. EXCEEDINGLY annoying (first world problem... I know...).

I also have an AT&T iPhone 5 (32GB). I've already restored and reinstalled iOS 8 once, after the initial upgrade. Issue was occurring both times. I as well am very surprised that this bug was not caught in beta testing. Very strange.

Sep 18, 2014 3:36 PM in response to alex.jiang

I have an iPhone 5, model A1428 and I am experiencing this too. Very frustrating! We need a fix. It renders the phone unusable at times. Sometimes I will click the home button once to get out of an app and it will flash to multitasking for a second and then revert back to the app. Essentially making it so I am stuck in the app. HELP!

iPhone 5 home button issue iOS 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.