Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IBooks crashes after ios8 upgrade

i completed the ios8 upgrade and now IBooks crashes every 5 minutes. How do I fix it or report it?

iPad, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 9:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2014 6:03 AM

My wife is having the same problem, but I am not. The only difference we can find is that the problem began after we opened iBooks and found that the store was offering several free books. One book she selected wouldn't completely install, and her iBooks began crashing. She finally gave up and went to sleep. I'm guessing that if she is able to delete that one book from iCloud, she should be back to normal. I'd appreciate any other suggestions.

55 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2014 6:03 AM in response to jtnorris

My wife is having the same problem, but I am not. The only difference we can find is that the problem began after we opened iBooks and found that the store was offering several free books. One book she selected wouldn't completely install, and her iBooks began crashing. She finally gave up and went to sleep. I'm guessing that if she is able to delete that one book from iCloud, she should be back to normal. I'd appreciate any other suggestions.

Sep 18, 2014 3:38 PM in response to jtnorris

Found it! After you finally open iBooks, you will see a little triangle to the right of the word Books. Touch that, and you'll get a drop down menu. At the bottom is an option Hide iCloud Books. Select that, and when you open iBooks it won't try to show every book you've ever purchased from the Apple Store. I don't know if you can toggle it immediately, but my wife waited for it to show 355 books then toggled it to off.

Sep 20, 2014 12:08 PM in response to jtnorris

Same here. iBooks crashes intermittently. If it crashes it doesn't remember where I was at and goes to some 60 pages earlier. It also pulls up the books in the original fonts and then changes it to the fonts I selected. it never used to do that before the update.

Sep 20, 2014 3:00 PM in response to jtnorris

I'm having the same problem on my iPad Air. iBooks worked fine on iOS 7, but started crashing about 3-5 minutes after launching from the moment I installed iOS8. The crash seems to happens while iBooks is syncing with iCloud and putting my iPad in flight mode prevents it from happening. Disabling the syncing of bookmarks, notes and collections does not prevent the app from crashing. I've tried restoring my iPad using different backups(including one I made just before the upgrade to iOS 8), but the crashes keep happening.

As this only happens on my iPad and not on my iPhone 5, where I have automatic downloads disabled, I tried disabling automatic downloads. This seemed to prevent a crash only once, but once I tried to download a book manually, the crashes started happening again. I also noticed that any book downloaded after installing iOS 8 doesn't seem to be recognised as a purchased book. If I try to delete it, I only get the "Delete" option for books(which usually only appears for books that weren't purchased from the iBooks store), while I still get both the "Delete From All Devices" and the "Delete This Copy" options for any books downloaded from the store before installing iOS 8. On my iPhone, I still get both these options for any books downloaded after installing iOS 8.

The only thing I found is that there is a JetsamEvent log in the diagnostics & usage data screen at the exact time of each iBooks crash. Each of these listed iBooks as being the largest process.

I hope Apple provide a fix soon, it's a bit disappointing to have to read iBooks on my iPhone instead of the larger screen of my iPad.

Sep 21, 2014 9:35 PM in response to jtnorris

My wife was having the same problem with iBooks on her iPad mini after installing iOS 8 (constantly spinning progress wheel and crashing every few minutes). Putting the iPad into Airplane mode prevented the crashing, but we wanted a better solution. Restarting, resetting, and restoring from a backup didn't fix the problem. She restored it as a new device and downloaded only some of her 300+ books, and it's been working fine since then. FWIW, I installed iOS 8 on my iPad Air, and I haven't had any problems. I have far fewer books than my wife, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Sep 22, 2014 6:18 AM in response to Chuckie85

I'm having similar issues, i.e. constantly spinning progress wheel, pages turn slowly with page half print only, pages go to black then ibooks crashes, when book is opened after crash it is back many pages prior to crash, etc. Turned off wifi which seemed to work last night. When I turned it back on, it is still crashing so turned on Hide Icloud purchases but that didn't work. Also went to airplane mode but no joy! Will try connecting to iTunes on PC. This is incredibly frustrating and makes me long for my old NOOK. PLEASE APPLE TAKE CARE OF THIS SOONEST! There are many of us who use our iPad almost exclusively for reading!

Sep 22, 2014 3:08 PM in response to jtnorris

I have had this same prob on my Ipad 2 for about 24 hrs now. It didnt happen till after I installed IOS8 on it. But and interesting twist... I have no problems reading Ibook on my Iphone 5c with the same IOS8 on it. And I noticed you cant delete Ibook to try reinstalling that now when you used to be able to. I do like the hide Icloud feature but it didnt work for me. They really need to fix this.

IBooks crashes after ios8 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.