Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound afternoon upgrading my iPad to iOS 8

After updatihg my iPad to iOS 8, no sound at all, I can hear any audio or video on my iPad

please help

thank you

iPad, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 18, 2014 1:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2014 4:45 PM

My volume buttons didn't work when I updated, but there is a sound slider on the swipe-up menu on the bottom of the screen that worked to turn my sound back on. Hope it's that easy for you! 🙂

28 replies

Sep 19, 2014 2:24 PM in response to zoom2002

Hello everyone, I have all lost all sound after upgrading to iOS8, and my iPad is super sluggish now! It worked perfect prior to update. I checked all settings, even in individual apps, and still no sound. That inclures Apple producs, like GarageBand. Etc. what a tragedy this update turned out to be. I am regretting being an early adopter. I expected better functionality from IOS8 update. I can only hope that Apple techs and devs are hard at work preparing a fix. Or give us the ability to downgrade to IOS 7 which was fantastic!

Sep 27, 2014 5:42 PM in response to zoom2002

I am experiencing the same issue of receiving no sound from my IPad Air. It continues to be stuck in headphone mode. I have tried a hard reboot, check all applications for sound issues, and applied a Reset! to no avail. As long as headphones are plugged in, there is sound. I paid too much for this device to experience difficulties with every upgrade. I also spent a considerable amount of time with Apple technical support, just to repeatedly be asked if my tablet was exposed to water. It worked fined before the iOS 8 and subsequent upgrades.

Oct 3, 2014 8:09 AM in response to zoom2002

Hi

i encounter this issue as well.

my story is a bit different so if anyone encounter some of the symptoms here it is

symptoms:

after update to iOS 8 i started to hear really distorted sounds from the speakers and from the head phones.

i did reset my iPad mini to no avail , i thought my iPad got screwed. i decided to wait few days to see what a new day will bring.

about a week later i noticed there is another update (8.0.2) , so i immediately update my iPad.

the sounds problems did not solved and it seems to be worse.

i reset my iPad again and after that, surprise surprise : no sounds at all , not from speakers not from headphones.

solution:

after digging a bit and it appear no sounds setting related would solve this issue.

but then i went into Settings -> General -> Accessibility

under Hearing there is the Mono Audio switch, i turned it on.

now i could hear - it appear the audio was back, i set it (mono setting) back off and tested audio from headphones, it appear to be working as before.

for all who have this kind of problems i suggest check this method.

Oct 8, 2014 8:32 AM in response to gila the other

I updated to iOS 8.0.2 and the next day, while watching a TV show on my ipad, the sound completely stopped. I did a hard reset, thinking this would solve it, but it didn't work. Sound is not on mute. I tested out all apps that play sound, nothing was playing through the speakers; however, I can hear sound if I use headphones. I did the ipad reset suggestion I saw in a few articles, but still that hasn't work. Any other workarounds or am I going to have to go into the apple store? I tried the mono switch thign too with no luck 😟

Oct 9, 2014 5:00 PM in response to King Sardius

Same issue on my iPad Air as well. After I downloaded the IOS 8 update, I have lost all sound, my iPad is sluggis, and my cap lock will not turn off, after typing the 1st letter.

HEre is an example of the typing issue,

WHen

HOw

STop

FIx

THis

ISsue

PLease,

after the 2nd letter caps, its fine until I hit return, and then it starts all over again.

i (or it won't cap lock at all, as this (I) didn't cap lock at the beginning of the sentence.

i WIsh I could uninstall the latest update, because I would.

any ideas?

LOri

Oct 12, 2014 4:39 AM in response to thecricketwhispered

I faced also sound problem now, but not after iOS 8.0.2, it started after I updated Infinity Blade 3 and restart my iPad Air yesterday.

When I open any app with sound, it will Beep once and then muted. But if I plugged in the earphone, I can hear sound (with lots of noise)

Actually after updated infinity blade 3, I had faced 3 problems in my iPad Air, but 2 of them already solved after deleted Infinity blade 3, the sound problem on and off. (soft restart will solved temporarily)

I found issue of capital letter (cap lock) same like yours when I was typing above issue.

Oct 12, 2014 6:14 AM in response to zoom2002

Same issue on my side, iPad Air, on the beta it was working fine but since the official releases of iOS 8 and 8.0.2, no sounds on games such as Star Wars Commander or Pirates Plunder. When I use earphones it works, when I use bluetooth speakers no problem, but without these I can't ear the sound on games.

I tried the ideas posted on the topic, none of them worked (now I have to put back my settings...)

It pretty sad to see that something as basic as the sound is not working well on such expensive hardware!

Oct 13, 2014 1:20 PM in response to King.Teky

I Have same problem. I checked all settings for volumes under all categories. All sounds are enable and now thing works after upgrading to IOS 8. Sometimes random sounds come back on their own, but most are not there anymore. Restarting the iPad brings back sound to YouTube and other apps, and that's it

8***************************

MY Latin Drum Machine App Works today after Switching the Stereo Sound to On through IPad settings, this fixed the sound for my other apps as well so far!

No sound afternoon upgrading my iPad to iOS 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.