Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SIM NOT VALID after ios 8 update

I was running a perfectly fine Iphone 5 on a sim only contract with Telfort in NL.

I have the phone without issues since it came out, today I updated via iTunes to ios 8. It failed and asked me to do a restore.

Ok I thought as I backed up everything prior to update. The problem is now it has restored it just will not go past the activation stage and tells me the SIM IS NOT VALID

It also blames everything on my carrier and the iPhone is fine. This worked fine before so I guess I should not have updated.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any advice would be really helpful

Thanks in advance

MacBook Pro 2009, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Sep 18, 2014 11:24 AM

59 replies

Sep 18, 2014 1:25 PM in response to Matkaz

Same or very similar issue here. Installed IOS 8. Phone has not been running well since then and crashed, eventually requiring a 'restore'. Now I can't go any further since apparently my SIM IS NOT VALID.

No issues beforehand. Contacted Apple via chat - didn't have a clue how to fix and suggested appointment at the store. No appointments for several days meaning no phone. Unacceptable.

Sep 18, 2014 1:32 PM in response to JackBauer293

Hi Jack,

Can I ask where you are and where your phone is from?

I ask because I have a US phone I bought unlocked while I was at work yet I live in the Netherlands. I think it's because of this.

Apple chat could not help and even suggested I tried a different wifi port as that might be not working. Even though I'm using it to talk to them 😐

So they told me to go to the service centre which of course is annoying. Roll on the NX

Sep 19, 2014 5:46 AM in response to orlics

OK this has taken ages. Although the issue is not resolved they know what the issue is.

This is not anything to do with my carrier it is an Apple issue.

Because I had my iPhone changed a few months ago they did not link it up correctly to my previous iPhone.

It has nothing to do with ios8 it is just a coincidence that I factory restored then. If I had factory restored at any time the same issue would have happened.

Apple are working on it for me but it can take a few days which is ridiculous but it is what it is. I am losing out on business because of this.

Maybe this will help others that have the same problem.

So ask yourselves did you ever replace your phone in the past because of an issue?

Sep 19, 2014 5:50 AM in response to orlics

Matkaz,

I'm in the UK and purchased it here. No issues with the phone until I added IOS 8. The SIM hasn't been changed and after spending a great deal of time speaking to Apple via the 'chat' feature and then via phone today, they know that the phone is 'unlocked' and hence there should be no issues. Tried another SIM card, ensured my own SIM works, done everything possible to get the phone back on but to no avail.

The phone is on the 'initial set-up' having restored with iTunes several times. Every time, once this has been done, after selecting language, country and then wifi network (or similar), it has flashed up on both my iphone and iTunes that the SIM card is not valid. Yet in the top left hand corner, it is displaying not only my signal strength but say, I don't connect to wifi on the step before, it is also showing I have 3G available to me. So it is recognising a functioning SIM card but won't allow me to use it - or any other SIM for that matter.

It's with their engineers now - but could this happen at a worse time? The release of iPhone 6 means the stores are too busy. I've spent probably around six hours - whether by chat or phone - trying to sort this so far.

SIM NOT VALID after ios 8 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.