Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot delete music in iOS 8 on iPad

Seem to have lost the ability to slide a song title or album title in Music app on an iPad that has been upgraded to iOS a 8 to delete a song/album. In addition, cannot find the Music app listed under usage data which was the method to delete all songs. Is this bug in iOS8 on an iPad?

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 3:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 3:38 AM

Settings>General>Usage>Manage Storage>Music> is where you can delete albums and songs. Swiping across songs in the songs list still works for me. Perhaps you should try closing the Music app and reset the iPad.

In order to close apps, you have to drag the app up from the multitasking display. Double tap the home button and you will see apps lined up going left to right across the screen. Swipe to get to the app that you want to close and then swipe "up" on the app preview thumbnail to close it.

Reset the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider if it appears on the screen - let go of the buttons. Let the iPad start up.

45 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2014 3:38 AM in response to Swtchld

Settings>General>Usage>Manage Storage>Music> is where you can delete albums and songs. Swiping across songs in the songs list still works for me. Perhaps you should try closing the Music app and reset the iPad.

In order to close apps, you have to drag the app up from the multitasking display. Double tap the home button and you will see apps lined up going left to right across the screen. Swipe to get to the app that you want to close and then swipe "up" on the app preview thumbnail to close it.

Reset the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider if it appears on the screen - let go of the buttons. Let the iPad start up.

Sep 19, 2014 5:59 PM in response to Demo

I have all the aps except Music. Another interesting thing is that when I hook up the iPhone or iPad to iTunes on my computer and click on the device it shows that there is no music on the iPhone or iPad.

My suspicion is that it has something to do with syncing with iTunes, but I can't figure out how to fix it.

Sep 19, 2014 7:33 PM in response to Swtchld

I think I figured out that this is an issue syncing with iCloud. In the settings for Music, I turned on Show All Music, that includes showing all music, including everything stored in iCloud. Well, all my music showed as being stored in iCloud and needing to be downloaded to my iPad, including the songs that Music said were already on my iPad. So, I tried to download one of those songs. After downloading, I could then delete it from Music by swiping left and having the delete button show up! After that deletion, the song does not show up as being on my iPad. In addition, after downloading songs from iCloud, then the Music app does show up with those songs in the usage>manage storage list of apps. And, the downloaded songs show up as being able to be deleted from there, too, in addition from the Music app. So, I think the list is in kind of a messed up state, with it showing music as being on the iPad (which it may be, since I can listen to those songs) but they are not deletable unless they are first "downloaded" from iCloud.

Sep 21, 2014 8:10 AM in response to Swtchld

Same here, unable to delete my songs via iPhone 4s running iOS8 nor via iTunes.

When I deselect all via iTunes and sync it shows no audio in the iTunes memory bar at the bottom for the iPhone but the iPhone still has all the songs on it yet it will not play any of them. I think it is in fact deleted on my iPhone but the songs album and titles still appear on my iPhone without cover art. It will not play it but it will not allow me to delete them either. Not even one at a time via the iPhone. When I slide on the iPhone to the left a delete box appears but when I select delete nothing happens.

Sep 27, 2014 5:43 PM in response to MN5150

I'm trying a factory reset now. I also did not have a lot of music on my phone before iOS8. The few purchases I made, transferred to my library successfully, but for some reason over 100 songs transferred back to my phone and I could not delete them. I can only assume the Apple folks like Christmas tunes. 🙂 I went to the manage storage area, made sure no music was checked in iTunes, even clicked OK to the "erase the phone and transfer everything forever" popup. I hope this works and I'm at my wits end with the crashing and this. I have an iPhone 5. Wish I would have waited.

Oct 10, 2014 6:13 AM in response to 2beanklm

I subscribe to iTunes Match, Show all music. Setting/About says I have 100 songs on the iPhone running iOS 8.0.2 and no way delete them since setting/usage doesn't show the Music app nor the Video app. Funny part is that when I shut off show all music and itunes match only 2 songs appear in my music app not the 100 it was saying before and when I go to general/about it NOW says only 2 songs and I have recovered over a gig of space on the iphone. Ok turned iTunes match back on, and show all music I still have the recovered gig of space and still only 2 songs on my iphone.

something isn't quite right yet with this in ios8, never had this issue prior.

Oct 17, 2014 11:13 AM in response to Ochanfde

I am having this same issue and it is driving me insane!!! I am running out of space, the sole purpose of getting iTunes Match was to alleviate the space issues that come with downloading songs and now I am unable to manage since downloading iOS 8.0.2. The music app does not exist under usage and I cannot physically delete them from the music app itself. Has anyone discovered a solution???

iPhone 5s

Oct 25, 2014 7:13 PM in response to soonergrl82

The only way I have found is to quit the music app, disable iTunes match, then download and install iFunBox and hook up your iPhone. Once your iPhone is seen by iFunBox, perform the following. I have done this for many years to clear things out, works well. MAKE SURE TO ONLY DELETE THE FILES / DIRECTORIES I LISTED. If you remove extra files / directories, you may have to restore your phone. I would make sure to make a backup inside of iTunes / iCloud first.

1. Stop the iPhone's Music app (i.e. when Music app not in foreground, double tap home button, swipe up the music app to close it)
  2. Delete /var/mobile/Media/Purchases (rm -r -f)
  3. Delete /var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/Artwork (rm -r -f)
  4. Delete /var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/Music (rm -r -f)
  5. Delete /var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes/Artwork (rm -r -f)
  6. Delete /var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes/MediaLibrary.sqlitedb* (rm)
  7. In computer iTunes, click on the iPhone device, go to its Music tab, uncheck 'Sync Music'
  8. Sync the phone

Cannot delete music in iOS 8 on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.