Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 6 mic not working

the microphone works fine when calling, but when i changed it to speaker mode, the person on the other side cannot hear. does anyone else have this problem? or know why this is happening ?

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 8:14 AM

99 replies

Jan 30, 2017 10:42 PM in response to meixdidi

I bought this iPhone from a friend about a month ago and three weeks ago I began having trouble with the microphone. My screen broke and was replaced and I got a new case but neither seemed to cause the issue. I have turned the phone on and off, updated the software (which the update before last seemed to cause the problem), factory reset the phone, taken a toothpick and the cotton from a q-tip and cleaned the speakers and the mics. The noise canceling thing is on too. Still Siri cannot hear me and the voice recorder sounds as if the volume is turned on low for the mic. Also, I've had many issues with speaker phone if someone else calls me, if I call it works. Any advice before I replace the mic?

Jul 6, 2017 8:26 AM in response to meixdidi

Before you replace your iPhone, try these steps:

1) Remove all factory plastic wrap or anything else that may be physically blocking any of the 3 microphones on the phone. There is one on the front between the camera and flash. There is one on the bottom next to the earphone jack. Lastly, there is one inside the black strip next to the FaceTime camera.

2) Update you iPhone software to eliminate most software issues. This may not fix all app related issues, especially if the app is not supported by Apple.

3) Remove some, but not all, of the cotton swap from each end of a standard safety swap (commonly used to clear out your ear...). When you have removed enough cotton, insert into the earphone jack and rotate. **Do this action gently so you do not damage the jack port**. When you remove the swap, you should see some built up debris that may have been interfering with the connection strips and tricking the iPhone into thinking the port jack was in use.

If problems persist, you may need to have the iPhone repaired/replaced, or it may still be an app issue that has not yet been fixed by Apple nor the app developers.

Hope this helps!

Oct 23, 2017 12:08 AM in response to meixdidi

I have the same problem too. When I turn on my speaker on my iPhone 6during the call, other person cannot hear me. I checked the mic through voice memos and it turned out fine.

That means that the hardware is fine but there is the issue in the apple software. The issue came just after updating my iPhone s/w.

Apple has disappointed a lot. And I am using apple since 2007, starting from 1st generation to iPhone 6.

@apple this is enough!

Nov 6, 2014 1:01 AM in response to meixdidi

Exactly the same problem for me too on iPhone 6... At first, video's sound were sizzling, then I retried 1 week later and video sounds good... (nothing never covered the microphone). Well..

But now the problem is must more annoying because people say that they don't hear me very well; as if I was speaking far away my phone !

The microphone is probably dead, after 1 month of usage...

iphone 6 mic not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.