Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 ios 8 bluetooth issues with BMW

Hi,

I just upgraded my iphone 5 to IOS 8. When my phone connects to my 2014 BMW via bluetooth, the dashboard screen displays a call is being made to myself,

but the iphone doesn't show a call is being made. I tried hanging up using the button on my BMW, but it doesn't work. After at least 20 seconds, the call is disconnected.

My friend has similar issue. He called me this morning and it's exactly what I encountered and his car is also BMW that he got it a day before. It happened to him when he upgraded to IOS8.

Please help.

Regards,

CaptJohn

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 8:20 AM

40 replies

Sep 20, 2014 2:35 PM in response to CaptainJohn

Great another issue with iOS 8 to look forward too! I just upgraded my 5 to iOS 8 and was quick to downgrade it as I'm traveling, and my phone was running horribly.. Do a google search for "How to downgrade iOS8" ... I did that and couldn't be happier. I have a BMW as well, and a iPhone 6 waiting for me at home. If this issue isn't fixed, looks like I'll be using my 5 with iOS 7 until apple addresses these issues.

Sep 20, 2014 3:46 PM in response to CaptainJohn

Guys:

I was having general issues with my new iPhone 6 on OS8. After reading through some BMW treads on other support forums, many people had issues and just as many seemed to work fine. I finally stumbled one that directed me to this BWM Link: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/connected_drive_services/mobile_devices/bluetoo th_software_update.html.

It turns out I had a dated firmware for my audio and Telephony devices. After checking my VIN to be sure I could update (2013 X3) I downloaded the software to a USB stick and went through the directions to upgrade. The difference was a dot release difference (3.4 to 3.5) - but yours may differ. After successfully upgrading the firmware on the Beemer, everything worked perfectly - just like it did when I had the 5s and IOS7. Bottom line, I would checkout your current firmware version and update if one is available. Good luck

Sep 21, 2014 1:01 PM in response to bogdanch

bogdanch:

After you put your last 7 characters of your vin and hit the ok button, it opens a second page. If your vehicle allows or needs a software update, you will see a bar at the bottom of that page that says "Download Software". Click the checkbox next to "I accept the usage right agreement" and then click on Download Software. I am just guessing, but if are not getting the Download software on the second page, either you are upgraded to the most recent version or your particular vehicle does not support user update. Best of luck.

Sep 22, 2014 1:38 AM in response to CaptainJohn

Guys ( and girls)

I have a 2014 F13 M6. When i added my I Phone 6 on Friday all seemed fine, until i tried to use the phone. I experienced 2 issues, the good news is i resolved them.

Initially all seemed fine, however when i dialled out the call cut off after a few seconds. I deleted the phone from the car and re installed. On the second attempt the phone button on the steering wheel wouldn't work, and the "Active calls" on the menu was greyed out. You could make a call via the I drive and in car phone book however as I couldn't access either the active calls i couldn't cancel the call vie any controls in the car and had to cancel the call using the phone. In addition at this point pressing the "phone" button on the steering wheel simply redialled the current call number effectively making two calls at the same time.

I rang BMW and they=, being their ever helpful selves stated " we don't support IOS 8 or I phone 6 "

The solution. What worked for me was following.

1. Delete all paired phones from the car

2. Delete all personal settings via I drive

3. Switch the ignition off completely

4. Delete ALL paired bluetooth devices on the Iphone 6

5. Do a soft reset on the phone using teh power and home buttons

6. Re pair the phone to the car

Following the above steps sorted the problem and it all works perfectly. I hope this helps. Just don't tell BMW lol.

Sep 22, 2014 10:12 AM in response to CaptainJohn

I had same problem with upgrade to IOS8 and new BMW, After the upgrade i was able to connect to the car but the signal indicater was greyed out and flashing, when i got an incoming call it showed my own number as if i was ringing myself. If i answered the call it dropped it from the car. So the solution that has worked for me on both my iPhone,s (5s) Was to go into settings/ general/ reset/ and reset all settings. You won't lose data but it will reset to factory without passcode or fingerprint ID. Go to bluetooth menu select the car id and select forget this device.

In the car select add new device and follow instructions to pair new device. Both my phones now work.

Hope this helps

Sep 25, 2014 6:05 AM in response to CaptainJohn

2012 VW Jetta

iPhone 5S using IOS 7 - no problems connecting via bluetooth

Updated to IOS 8 - iPhone connects via bluetooth but message on dash display says "No Network" and can't make or receive calls.

This morning when I started up the car the dash display showed that it was dialing a number with no interaction from me. iPhone doesn't show any call being made. Had to disconnect the bluetooth connection to get call in progress display to stop.

What is different about IOS 8 that confuses the bluetooth? Will Apple update and correct this issue or does VW need to change their firmware? This seems like a universal problem that transcends the brand of car. Or does the IOS require a new protocol?

Sep 25, 2014 6:31 AM in response to Donkas

What does reset all settings mean? How much work will this cause? How many other settings will I need to re-create? Or will this just effect the bluetooth settings? Or should I just wait for Apple to issue an IOS 8 update? I don't want to click that button and then have tremendous headaches trying to re-enter settings for everything. I like my iPhone the way it is. Thanks.

iPhone 5 ios 8 bluetooth issues with BMW

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.