Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS8 Keyboard shortcuts are not syncing between devices

Hello,

I have an iPhone 5c and an iPad Air which had a lot of keyboard shortcuts ("omw" style), using iOS7.

So, I've upgraded both to iOS8 at the same time yesterday. I have also upgraded my iCloud to the new iCloud Drive when got asked.

When they returned from the upgrade, I've realized the keyboard shortcuts were deleted - the list wasn't even with the "omw" default shortcut, it was completely empty.

Resigned with the situation (the upgrade deleted everything!), I've started creating the shortcuts again on the iPad, but now I've noticed that they are not syncing with the iPhone. iPhone list is empty and iPad list has a bunch of shortcuts.

Everything is up and running with the iCloud in the menu of both devices and there isn't the old option of "Documents and Data" anymore, which I believe was the responsible for these kind of settings synchronization between devices.

Anyone with this issue? How to fix it?

Regards,

Caio.

iPad, iOS 8, Air

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 4:00 PM

53 replies

Sep 20, 2014 10:22 AM in response to caiospessoa

I lost all my keyboard shortcuts on my iPhone 5s after upgrading to iOS 8. They still showed up on my iPad Air (iOS 8) and iMac (10.9.5). There were, however, massive sync problems, sometimes they would only flow from one device to all the others, sometimes from one device to only one of the other two, sometimes not at all.

I deleted all my shortcuts and started from scratch, deleting “~/Library/Application Support/Ubiquity”, ~/Library/Dictionaries” and “~/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~TextInput” from the iMac and KeyboardDomain from my iOS devices.

Rebooted everything a dozen times.

Toggled Documents & Data Sync off and on a dozen times too in all kinds of combination with rebooting and deleting the aforementioned files.

Everything always starts working and syncing fine for a very short while, but sooner or later one of my devices stops receiving new shortcuts as I re-add them.

I reboot that device and it catches up. I enter new shortcuts, and that device doesn’t get any new shortcuts. This time, a reboot doesn’t fix anything.

After using my devices for a while, I notice shortcuts are entirely gone from both the iPhone and iPad, but not from the iMac.

I even upgraded my iPhone 5s to a 6, and right off the bat it had issues with keyboard shortcut sync. I also setup my iPad as new, and same thing: right off the bat, sync issues with keyboard shortcuts.

Sep 24, 2014 8:24 PM in response to tecsi12

tecsi12 wrote:

My keyboard shortcuts are still listed, but none of them work any longer. Total pain.

Yes... all my keyboard shortcuts were a-okay on Sunday, gone on Monday, back on Tuesday, gone again this morning, and back this afternoon.

iOS 8 .. IPad Air .. Keyboard shortcuts random and intermittent. Keyboard very sluggish and leggy. Rebooting does NOT help...

See also... Re: Re: Keyboard shortcut problems in iPhone 5S with iOS 8 update

Sep 24, 2014 8:50 PM in response to caiospessoa

I lost *all* of mine when upgrading to iOS8 on my iPhone5. And I had loads which was a pain to re-enter then manually. But managed to recover everything.

What I did is close off all open apps, off/on my iPhone and turned it back on. Wait till iCloud automatically syncs. It should it there after a while. Otherwise sign off iCloud and iTunes and relogin again. This should do the trick.

Sep 28, 2014 4:33 AM in response to caiospessoa

Here's what I have confirmed repeatedly. I am running the iOS 8.02 released last week and have an iPhone 5S and the Mini IPad. First, the loss of syncing keyboard shortcuts does not happen with my iPhone. Second, it happens each time I power down and then up with the iPad, otherwise they work fine. I have developed a workaround by entering into the Settings, General, Keyboard, Shortcuts and then quickly in-putting a shortcut (I use Testing, tst) and then leaving the keyboard shortcuts area (I test it). I then return and delete this but I'm sure you can come up with a more exquisite solution, since it appears that I am forcing a sync by doing this. Good luck!

iOS8 Keyboard shortcuts are not syncing between devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.