Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 not working with hands-free on a Toyota Prius c

I received the iPhone 6 today and registered the device on my Toyota Prius c's audio system. The iPhone 6 paired with the audio system, but whenever the phone receives a call, the hands-free on-hook switch will not answer the phone nor will the hands-free off-hook switch end the call. The iPhone 5 that I had been using (iOS 6) worked without any problems. I spent about an hour with Toyota's technical staff troubleshooting the issue and they were not able to provide a solution. Tomorrow I will go to the Toyota dealer and see if I can get the phone to work with another Toyota model to determine if it is the Prius c's hardware that is the issue or if there is a more general problem with all Toyota cars using hands-free and the iPhone 6. BTW, I have a Prius c Two, which doesn't have EnTune system. This issue occurs with the basic audio system that comes with the Prius c One and Two models.

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 6:23 PM

47 replies

Sep 20, 2014 1:37 PM in response to Ryan Driscoll

HI Ryan,

I was able to solve the problem earlier today. One very important thing I forgot to mention in the previous post is that the iPhone 6 is from Verizon. The fact the iPhone 6 is from Verizon is the key to the solution and this solution would probably not be applicable to phones from AT&T, if they were having trouble as well. As you probably know about Verizon phones is that you cannot do voice and data at the same time on the phone. That changed on Sept 15, 2014 when Verizon launched its first-generation voice over LTE (VoLTE). The iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus support this capability. I called Verizon and had them turn on this feature, called Advanced Calling 1.0, for my phone. I tried to turn on the feature from Verizon's website but could not get that to work and that is why I had to call Verizon. Once the change was made on Verizon's end, the technician had me reboot the phone. Next, I went into the iPhone 6 UI, tapped Settings-->Cellular-->Enable LTE and changed the setting from Data Only to Voice & Data. This article has a fuller explanation of the process: http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/19/support-for-verizons-volte-hd-voice-an d-video-calls-confirmed-for-iphone-6-iphone-6-plus

Now I was able to talk and do data at the same time. After I got off the phone it occurred to me that this might have been the problem with the hands-free option in the Prius c. I went back to the car and tested the iPhone 6. Now hands-free was working. My guess is that the hands-free functionality needed the "data" part while the audio functionality needed the "voice" part. Since the Verizon phone could not do voice and data at the same time until I turned on Advanced Calling 1.0, only the audio part was working while the hands-free part (data) was disabled.

Sep 22, 2014 2:27 AM in response to thunter913

Thanks for the tip... I had actually turned on those features as soon as I got my phone. So I tried changing my phone back to LTE for Data only to see if that made a difference. So far no change. When I try to make a call using the Truck's interface it tells me "unable to dial". I also notice sometimes the vehicle shows 0 signal strength, when in actually I have 4 or 5 bars/dots.

Sep 23, 2014 11:16 AM in response to Ryan Driscoll

So far, this is the only online resource I have found to assist with this iPhone 6/Entune issue. I am having the same problems with my phone connectivity on my 2014 RAV4. I was previously using an iPhone 5s and had no problems, even after I upgraded to iOS8. I have talked to Verizon Wireless three times and Toyota Entune technical support three times and they just keep pointing their fingers at each other. Verizon has activated Advanced Calling and I have enabled my phone in both places, I have rebooted my phone three times and have removed the phone and re-paired it so many times I have lost count. Nobody seems to have an answer and, quite honestly, neither Toyota nor Verizon seem interested in helping sort the issue out. I just can't believe that the people here in this thread are the only iPhone 6/Entune customers who are having these issues.

So frustrating.

Sep 23, 2014 11:34 AM in response to thunter913

i am having the same issues with my 2012 Mazda 3. I have the iphone 5S and did not experience any issues connecting via bluetooth with my car. Once i upgraded my software to iOS 8 my car will no longer accept phone calls or will it use the hands free speakers when making a call. My car recognizes my phone as being connected and i can even play music via bluetooth connection. The issues arise when attempting to make or answer a phone call. My phone will start by attempting to use the hands free speakers in my car but will automatically switch to the phone speakers as the audio source after the call connects. Once in the middle of a call if i attempt to change the audio source to my car it will not do so. Same problem when answering a call. My car will indicate a call is coming in but when i attempt to answer the call it immediately switches to the phone as the audio sources as opposed to my car speakers. please fix this issue as it is a safety concern. The first ticket i get while this issue persists will be sent to you at Apple.

Sep 23, 2014 11:39 AM in response to thunter913

I've got a 2014 Tacoma with Entune. I was having the same problem. I have ATT. I also disabled the LTE Voice/Data and just switched it back to Data. I turned off my truck, turned it back on and it started to work. So just switch your cellular LTE to Data only and it seems to have fixed the problem. I wonder if there is a thing like with Verizon where you can call them have them enable something and then it works as well.

Sep 24, 2014 2:30 AM in response to newscout

The thread I posted above has been a little more active and from it, I was able to find a solution. The problem seems to be with restoring an iCloud backup from a previous phone onto the iPhone 6. When I got my 6, I restored the backup from my previous iPhone 5s running iOS 8. I first tried resetting the network settings a couple times but that didn't work. So, I did the dreaded factory reset and I got full handsfree calling functionality back.

Sep 24, 2014 7:47 AM in response to thunter913

I Too am having the same issue with my Toyota Prius. It sees my phone, I can use Siri, but when it comes to phone calls, it never connects. My display doesn't show the number im calling like it normally does. Like everyone else has said, my 5s worked just fine, even after I upgraded to iOS 8.

I'm on a Verizon iphone 6. Hope theres a solution soon...

Sep 24, 2014 10:37 AM in response to thunter913

I have an Avalon Hybrid and a Corolla and they had the same problems, not with voice but text/message.

It had nothing to do with Verizon and everything to do with Apple/iCloud. When you activate your new i6, you restored everything from iCloud incl Bluetooth settings which are no longer compatible with the i6.

You need to go to Setting to do a "Reset All Settings", remove the bluetooth device from Toyota, pair it again. It will work.

Before you reset everything, make sure you write down your favorite setting/preferences, they will be wiped out. You phots, phonebook, etc. are save.

iPhone 6 not working with hands-free on a Toyota Prius c

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.