Announcement: Update to iOS 12

Enjoy a faster and more responsive experience as well as fun new features, like Memoji and Camera Effects.
Get iOS 12 > https://support.apple.com/ios/update

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: iPhone 6 passcode suddenly NOT working

I was using my iPhone 6. I went to use finger print recognition and nothing happened. So I went to enter my passcode and it wouldn't work! I haven't changed it all either. SO this is very odd. The only choice I have is to do a factory restore. I hope this doesn't happen again. Anyone else experiencing this with the new Iphone 6?

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Nov 27, 2014 12:50 PM in response to dkindle1 In response to dkindle1

I hit this exact issue today. I was attempting to install the 8.1 update released today (11/27) - it was requesting my "passcode". I entered the passcode several times, but upon the phone becoming locked. I was unable to unlock via touch or the Passcode. The phone is now completely locked (60 minute wait) - and it will not accept any passcode I provide, even though I am 100% sure of the passcode. I will likely have to do a factory reset as well, it'd be great to know what is causing this.

Dec 29, 2014 8:51 AM in response to dkindle1 In response to dkindle1

I just got my phone yesterday, and set the passcode to one I know I remember and have not changed it. Today I wake up and the passcode will not work, and in a edition I cannot factory restore without find my iPhone being turned off, which I can't do if I cannot get into the phone.

Jun 29, 2015 11:50 AM in response to dkindle1 In response to dkindle1

This happened to me today, It got me to doubt my memory ! my passcode doesn't work, It worked fine but today it didn't work and locked my phone , my touch id was working until it wanted a passcode , I doubt myself so bad that I asked my wife whet was my password , she also said the same password I'm using all day . unfortunately I dont have a backup in my pc , never did one so I cant restore my photos if I restore my iphone , please help , I need those photos !!

Jan 12, 2016 10:09 AM in response to hurstcj In response to hurstcj

this just happened to me today. I turned my phone off to apply a new screen protector, and turned it back on again.

Now the pin-code I have been using for about a year no longer works.!!

So many photos!.

Luckily I did a backup last week, but that's beside the point. what if life depended on an email that had just come in? or I needed to check some medical graph I had on my phone notes.? come on.!

EDIT:

I figured if I'm going to have to do a restore and I'm not at home at the moment, I may as well keep trying - even if it bricks, I can do a restore in recovery mode.!

So.. After about 15 goes and 60min of waiting (due to lockouts) with the SAME PIN CODE - the phone just unlocked... Just like that.!!

Now its accepting my thumb, I'm Going to back it up again tonight.

what a bug.!!!!

Sep 20, 2014 8:25 PM in response to dkindle1 In response to dkindle1

I found that I did not have to take the phone in. After updating iTunes to version 12.0, I was able to fully perform the factory reset. This doesn't explain what caused the passcode to stop working. I know I did not change it. The only thing I can think of is a possible icloud issue or hardware glitch.

Dec 30, 2014 3:45 PM in response to dkindle1 In response to dkindle1

Just happened to my GF - phone was working fine this morning, a short flight later it won't accept passcode or finger print. Powering off etc. did not resolve it. No recent updates or anything that could account for the change. Cell service provider tech support "has never heard of this happening" but they are going to erase the phone.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Sep 20, 2014 1:28 AM in response to dkindle1 In response to dkindle1

Also, after attempting to do a factory reset on the iPhone, iTunes unexpectedly crashes and will not reopen as long as the phone is connected. So my phone is completely bricked. Will have to take into the Apple store and see what they can do.

Sep 20, 2014 1:28 AM

Reply Helpful

Sep 20, 2014 8:25 PM in response to dkindle1 In response to dkindle1

I found that I did not have to take the phone in. After updating iTunes to version 12.0, I was able to fully perform the factory reset. This doesn't explain what caused the passcode to stop working. I know I did not change it. The only thing I can think of is a possible icloud issue or hardware glitch.

Sep 20, 2014 8:25 PM

Reply Helpful (6)

Nov 27, 2014 12:50 PM in response to dkindle1 In response to dkindle1

I hit this exact issue today. I was attempting to install the 8.1 update released today (11/27) - it was requesting my "passcode". I entered the passcode several times, but upon the phone becoming locked. I was unable to unlock via touch or the Passcode. The phone is now completely locked (60 minute wait) - and it will not accept any passcode I provide, even though I am 100% sure of the passcode. I will likely have to do a factory reset as well, it'd be great to know what is causing this.

Nov 27, 2014 12:50 PM

Reply Helpful (55)

Dec 13, 2014 4:03 PM in response to bunbun124 In response to bunbun124

Please note, you have to have at least synched iTunes in the past for this to work apparently. Don't follow the instructions of recovery, there is no need, as soon as iTunes loads up and you have your phone connected, it should unlock when you enter your password in.

Dec 13, 2014 4:03 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 26, 2014 2:02 AM in response to dkindle1 In response to dkindle1

MMe too today and I havenet updated to 8.1.2

turned on my phone and bam, won't accept my passcode which I've not changed recently.

it's rendered my phone useless and at the worse time of year, not because of Christmas but because my dad has just passed and everyone needs to contact me for arrangements. I'm bloody livid with Apple.

Dec 26, 2014 2:02 AM

Reply Helpful

Dec 26, 2014 4:17 PM in response to markkcurtis In response to markkcurtis

Mine stopped working today as well, I was doubting my own memory, but I'm glad I'm not the only one. So now I'm trying to update it through ITunes, if that doesn't work, I might try resetting it then use a backup or take it to the Apple Store...

Dec 26, 2014 4:17 PM

Reply Helpful (39)

Dec 29, 2014 8:51 AM in response to dkindle1 In response to dkindle1

I just got my phone yesterday, and set the passcode to one I know I remember and have not changed it. Today I wake up and the passcode will not work, and in a edition I cannot factory restore without find my iPhone being turned off, which I can't do if I cannot get into the phone.

Dec 29, 2014 8:51 AM

Reply Helpful (20)
User profile for user: dkindle1

Question: iPhone 6 passcode suddenly NOT working