Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 6 touchscreen/keyboard issues

Got my iphone 6 yesterday and set it up by restoring a backup from my iphone 5 (with ios8).

FIrst thing I noticed was the touchscreen immediately seemed unresponsive for example it might take several attempts to launch an app. While typing whole key presses just went missing - it wasn't just lag where it catches up.

AFter a couple of restarts the app launching has got better but the keyboard still seems to drop characters. I've turned off predictive and removed the emoji and swype keyboards. Looking at the battery usage it doesn't look like any one app is hogging CPU.

I'm pretty sure it's not a hardware fault but will try creating a new backup then restore the phone and setup as new In case it's something in the backup image thats the problem.

Not seeing lots of similar posts so clearly not a widespread issue.

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 11:02 PM

70 replies

Jan 20, 2017 4:55 PM in response to Tegilbor

I had a similar problem where my phones display would not be responsive at evenings and weekends I spent much time of day and night looking into this issue, turning this on, turning that off... in the end I figured; the mail settings were crashing the phone, I deleted the mail app from my desktop and replaced it with a similar client and my phone is absolutely fantastic now!

Jul 28, 2017 9:57 PM in response to timkego

I too, had a challenge with my keyboard lagging. After restoring several times I was given a replacement phone. I set the phone up as new but when it did a back up the problem returned. I have two Apple ID accounts. One account does not have any back ups and so I used it as a primary instead of the other account. I have not had a challenge with the keyboard since doing this.

Sep 19, 2014 11:48 PM in response to DarranPotter

I have the same issue, but as far as I can tell, only in landscape mode (on an iPhone 6 Plus). At times, it's completely fine, at other times, it makes the phone completely unusable. i think it is the same problem you described, i.e. the screen becomes completely unresponsive for a couple of seconds. But the device is not "hanging", it is really just the screen not registering inputs.

I tried to write this post in landscape mode, but it's completely impossible. Can't scroll on the page, can't get a single letter out of the keyboard. Zero screen response.

Sep 19, 2014 11:54 PM in response to Tegilbor

I believe this is an iOS 8 bug, and therefore not a hardware malfunction luckily. After updating my iPad 4th Generation to iOS 8, my keystrokes and everything were extremely laggy. How I fixed this issue, I am unsure, as I believe it fixed it self after not long. Try restarting your device (turn off device completely, do not do a fresh restart).

Also check your new phones available storage. Apple devices require about 2 GB free to function properly.

Sep 20, 2014 12:05 AM in response to ShadowDust99

Well, I restarted, and for now it seems fine. But I feel that the issue popped up after longer use. I would have noticed it otherwise in my first frantic usage tests. 😁

Note that it is not lag though. The screen is completely unresponsive. Nothing works. Not just the keyboard. Nothing. Sometimes it recovers after seconds, sometimes it doesn' recover at all.

Sep 20, 2014 4:08 AM in response to DarranPotter

I'm also find that deleting text is painfully slow... its like as you delete each character its trying to continuously re-spell check or auto suggest changes to the word you're actively deleting!

Although.. If I delete (say a text message) right back to the start then keep tapping the delete key - you should get a key click for every tap. if I tap delete 10 times in quick succession Ill only get 6 or 7 clicks.

I found some people saying ios 7 keyboard was slow and the tip was to reset the keyboard dictionary, which I tried but no change.

Having used every type of iphone back to the original I know its not me being fat fingered!

Sep 20, 2014 7:35 AM in response to Rephlexions

Unfortunately, hard resets don't fix the screen unresponsiveness issue for me. It seems it's a hardware issue. Oftentimes, taps are not registered. It's more frustrating when typing on the keyboard when not all letters registers so you always have to hit backspace which itself doesn't always register ARGH! I have a genius appointment on Monday :-(

Sep 20, 2014 8:41 AM in response to DarranPotter

I am having an issue with the keyboard as well on my iPhone 6. Only in landscape mode, the keyboard is completely unresponsive in iMessage. Other apps it works fine, ie email and such, it will work fine in landscape mode. This tells me it is a software bug - but I guess I will have to wait for the update which, historically, should be rolling out in a couple of weeks.

Check that - the entire screen is unresponsive - nothing at all works.

Sep 20, 2014 3:14 PM in response to DarranPotter

If I restore and setup as a new phone everything is fine. After restoring my backup the problem is back. I have two "dead zones" .. One near the top on the left hand edge and one near the bottom on the right hand edge.

This his affects typing and scrolling. Maps get jittery as well.

Someone from Apple is going to phone me tomorrow to investigate further.

Iphone 6 touchscreen/keyboard issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.