Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turning off camera shutter sound in iPhone 6

I just received my new iPhone 6. I know that you can mute the camera shutter sound by muting the phone with the button on the side, but this just doesn't work for iPhone 6. Is it just me? How can I fix it?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 20, 2014 2:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2014 5:06 PM

I bought an Iphone in Japan and only just discover the shutter sound issue. this is serious to me because sometimes in symposiums I need to take pictures of presentation (legally) and it's now not possible with the shutter sound. I have read somewhere that 3rd party camera app can mute it, but I tried several things like Camera 360, ProCamera but the sound still present. Can someone recommend an app?

81 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2014 5:06 PM in response to crossw1thyou

I bought an Iphone in Japan and only just discover the shutter sound issue. this is serious to me because sometimes in symposiums I need to take pictures of presentation (legally) and it's now not possible with the shutter sound. I have read somewhere that 3rd party camera app can mute it, but I tried several things like Camera 360, ProCamera but the sound still present. Can someone recommend an app?

Jan 20, 2017 5:32 PM in response to Lotusraku

First of all, where did you buy your iPhone 6?

Second, if it is Japanese model iPhone you cannot turn off the camera shutter sound completely because of the Japanese law of the upskirt photography. The shutter sound will stay on the entire time even if you have lower the volume down or silent the ringer on the phone. I spoke to an Apple Technician one time about certified refurbished phones. I bought an iPhone 5 on Amazon.com back in July, but two times already they sent me two Japanese iPhones and not a US certified iPhone. I had to return them both because I was unsatisfied with the Japanese iPhones. Therefore, I ended up buying it on Ebay. Before buying an iPhone, I would suggest to ask the seller first if they carry another country's phone before purchasing the phone. Keep in mind, different countries have different laws such as video chatting and picture taking.

If you live in Japan, I would suggest you to just keep the phone because of the law in Japan when taking photos of anything, the shutter sound has to stay on. There is no way the Japanese phone can control in turning off the shutter sound completely. Due to the Japan law of the upskirt photography, I do not think it is not such good idea to buy another country's iPhone in which you want to turn off the camera shutter sound completely. In Japan, they prohibited you to turn off the camera shutter sound completely.

Mar 16, 2017 11:28 AM in response to Dead_bunny

Dead_bunny wrote:

Too bad to hear that. It seems the only option left to users like me is to try to break the prison of Apple and try to delete the restriction file myself,Which is obviously not an recommended way that Apple will happy with, but what choice we have? Hope there is an offical way.

Or, use a different camera app. Or, don't take pictures that other people might not appreciate you taking.

Nov 22, 2014 5:21 PM in response to thuyan1989

I Have the same issue. This is an absolute disgrace for Apple to see this device without telling us about this major difference with the iPhones we can buy somewhere else. This is a total lack of respect towards faithful customers. I talked to apple and they don't know what to do. im seriously tempted to switch to Samsung, Sony or Microsoft.

Turning off camera shutter sound in iPhone 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.