Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8 upgrade and now missing airplay icon

I use AirPlay to stream music from both iTunes and Pandora on my iPhone 5 to an AirPort Express. After upgrading to iOS 8, I no longer have an AirPlay icon in Control Center. The AirPort Express and the iPhone 5 are both connected to the same network. The AirPort Express is very new (purchased new from Apple within the past 90 days). It all worked great before upgrading to iOS 8

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 20, 2014 9:48 AM

43 replies

Sep 21, 2014 1:20 AM in response to Robert Karty

I have an iPad 4 64GB and had the Same Problem with the missing AirPlay Icon after updating to iOS8. I was able to resolve this by

restarting the iPad

switching wireless off and back on (this appears to refresh something to do with the network services in iOS8)

After this the AirPlay icon was back and I was able to stream audio as before.

Hope this helps you too,

Sep 22, 2014 2:02 AM in response to demarcobk

I had the same problem after installing iOS 8 on my iPad mini and the AirPort Express.

First I switched off the wireless on my iPad and back on like Paul Williams5 requested.

BUT it didn't work. The AirPlay button did not show up...

After reconnecting the AirPort Express in my WLAN network (via the AirPort setup > wireless) ...

it worked... the AirPlay Button is back

Sep 22, 2014 10:01 PM in response to billmxa

APPLE...

The problem of a missing AirPlay icon and missing AirPlay devices has not yet been fully resolved. The variations I've seen (on an iPad 4) are

1) There is NO AirPlay icon, only AirDrop

2) The AirPlay icon is there but when you open its popup the local device (iPad) displays at the top of the list followed by one other device. If you now wait the shown device scrolls sideways and shows another available device

3) The AirPlay icon is displayed and its popup window contains a current list of all available streaming devices. This is what we want!

HInt: Possibly there is something going on concerning the streaming capabilities of the available AirPlay devices. I've noted that my AppleTV is usually first up when devices start to appear and this offers picture and sound streaming (also screen cloning from suitable devices). After this the audio only streaming devices appear.

APPLE PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS !

iOS 8 upgrade and now missing airplay icon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.