Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV - iOS 8 and Radio Station Error

Hello,

I recently updated my two Apple TV's to iOS 8 when the new release came. After doing so, whenever I would play a radio station, any one, it would play for about 10 minutes and then an error would appear on the screen saying "An error occurred loading the content". This happened on both Apple TV's. On one of them, I downgraded the firmware to 6.2.1 and now the radio station plays continuously. I wanted to report this issue so it can hopefully be addressed soon.

Thank you.

Apple TV, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 20, 2014 10:12 AM

83 replies

Sep 20, 2014 5:19 PM in response to RyanFromNB

It's not just a Canada issue. I live in Northern Virginia and am having the same issue. When I get the error msg after 10 minutes I go back to the radio station selection screen and reselect the station I was listening to. The music comes back and it works for another 10 minutes or so. A real pain to have to reselect the station every 10 minutes or so!!

Sep 21, 2014 9:54 AM in response to Joponyc

If you wish to roll back the update, you need to do the following:

1) Download the firmware you wish to use. I went to ipswdownloader.com/download-apple-tv-ipsw-files.php and selected "Apple TV 3G (2013) 6.2 (11D257c) AppleTV3,2_6.2_11D257c_Restore.ipsw".

2) Using a micro-USB cable, connect the Apple TV to your computer.

3) Load iTunes and select Apple TV once it shows.

4) If you're using a Mac, hold the "Option" key and click the "Restore" button. If you're using Windows, I believe it's the "Shift" button you hold.

5) Locate the IPSW file and then double click on it. This should prompt the firmware downgrade.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Sep 22, 2014 6:02 AM in response to Joponyc

I'm also having the Radio-disconnect error on my ATV3 after its 7.0 update. Unfortunately, my ATV3 is cable-tied in my entertainment center to a bunch of other wires in the back, and is inconvenient to extract for connection to my Mac in order to downgrade to 6.2. While waiting for an Apple fix to this issue, however, for what it's worth I'll mention my workaround: I tune into my Internet radio stations using iTunes on my Mac, or using an app on my iPhone or iPad, and then use AirPlay to my ATV3. The Internet radio then plays continuously, even under ATV3 7.0, thru my home entertainment system just like in the good ol' days of a week ago.

Sep 24, 2014 8:48 AM in response to RyanFromNB

I am having the same issue. I contacted Apple and they are trying to blame the issue on my wireless network. They have had me change the channel that my network communicates on and this has not helped. They seem to totally ignore the fact that I told them this happened right after the upgrade to the new firmware. I am going to hard wire it tonight and take wireless out of the equation and see what they blame it on next. The have also had me do a full reset which did nothing and then they had me do a restore and that didn't help either. They are grasping at straws as they don't want to admit it is the new update.

Sep 24, 2014 8:54 AM in response to Drewbab

Same issue here, London, but my device happend to fall into the 3rd gen replacement programme (Apple TV (3rd generation): Replacement program) They swapped it out for me, similar model. Returned home, plugged it in (without the upgrade, still on 5.x), played perfectly. Upgraded to 7.0 in the morning and the radio issue surfaced again. Said they would get back to me.

Apple TV - iOS 8 and Radio Station Error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.