Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Download iOS 8

Every time I try to download iOS on iTunes, the time keeps going up by 100s of hours at a time, what is going on?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Sep 21, 2014 8:11 AM

45 replies

Sep 21, 2014 9:47 AM in response to RwbyRose

I'm having this issue too. I must have attempted 50 times since I first tried on Thursday.

When I try to go through iTunes, it just says "Contacting the iPhone software update server..." for HOURS and never actually does anything. It failed once, telling me my "network connection timed out" or whatever, but the other 9 times or so, I finally end up giving up and stopping it.

Dozens of my friends have done it via wifi with no problems, so I've tried that at least 40 times, and it bounces around between 11 and 52 hours, but the status bar never makes it more than a millimeter across before telling me (1 to 14 hours later) that the download failed.

I've tried rebooting my phone and my computer; I've tried plugged in and on battery; I've tried during the morning, mid-day, and late at night... No matter what I do, I just can't get it. Pretty much everyone else I know got it on the 1st try with no issues whatsoever.

(I have a 16 GB iPhone 5C with 5.5 GB of free space, and it only called for 4.7 GB of necessary space).

Sep 21, 2014 10:45 AM in response to RwbyRose

I Am having this problem too. I took my phone to work and downloaded in 15 minutes On Thursday. I couldn't get it to work at home. I have Verizon Fios at home. I have tried two different computers here at home, one laptop and one desktop. I am thinking it's the Fios. I am trying to update my son's phone 5 and nothing will work. I can't even update iTunes on our desktop.

Sep 21, 2014 3:58 PM in response to joleneravensfan

I also have FIOS, and download times range from 20 to 40, and now even 75 hours, and never completing the download. Even though my speed tests are showing very fast throughput, this download seems impossible. I'll try it from work tomorrow instead. If the problem has something to do with FIOS I'm now curious as to why, e.g. DNS, etc? (I seem to recall Apple TV having problems in the past with movie downloads related to certain public DNS servers). But this update issue could be any number of things...

Sep 21, 2014 6:12 PM in response to RwbyRose

Well, it appears we may have uncovered the cause. The common denominator here is FiOS....

I wonder why though. My internet is running fine and I've downloaded a whole bunch of miscellaneous things lately (computer games, a work program, music, files, pictures, etc) both before and after the update release and haven't had any issues with anything, it's JUST this...

Can't Download iOS 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.