Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes does not see iOS8 devices over wifi

I installed iOS8 on my iPhone 4S and iPad mini and now iTunes (11.4 (18)) on my iMac no longer sees these devices unless I attach them via USB. I have tried rebooting the router, the Mac and the devices. I have reinstalled iTunes. I have checked that the appropriate settings for wifi sync are correctly set on all machines. Any suggestions?

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Sep 21, 2014 12:12 PM

67 replies

Sep 24, 2014 9:55 AM in response to Bernard A

I'm encountering the same exact problem after upgrading to iOS8 on both my iPhone 5S and iPaid Air. iTunes can no longer see the devices over WiFi and I'm forced to use a lightning cable to update them. However, my wife's iPhone 5 is still running iOS7 and my iTunes picks her device up every time over WiFi. So I believe it is an iOS8 issue and not an iTunes 11.4 (18) issue.

Sep 25, 2014 12:42 AM in response to Bernard A

I have found a solution

1). Deactivate and activate "Handoff" under Settings/General on you iDevice

2). Deactivate and activate "Messages" under Settings on you iDevice

3). Deactivate and activate "FaceTime" under Settings on you iDevice

4). Restart iDevice AND your computer running iTunes.

5). After iDevice and Computer booted. Start iTunes.

Works for me. 🙂

Sep 25, 2014 10:07 PM in response to Danielay

Just to let everyone know, that I just upgraded to iOS 8.0.2 tonight and it seemed to have resolved the issue. Now, my iDevices are consistently showing up in iTunes for the past few hours. I have my fingers crossed that this will last. Because I have tried other suggested options (e.g., rebooting my iDevices, rebooting my Macbook, deactivating/reactivating features such as Handoff, etc) and these temporary fixes work for a short time before my iDevices stop showing up in iTunes. So far so good.

Sep 27, 2014 6:45 AM in response to KevinB6799

Give it time. I have tried all these fixes and still do not find my devices consistently. With iOS 8, only my iPhone 5 showed up on iTunes. Sometimes my iPad 3. But, my iPad Air and Mini, not at all. Even when I synched physically, they disconnected when I unplugged.

After installing iOS 8.0.2 on all machines, my iPhone 5 and iPad 3 showed up, but neither of the others. Now, after restarting iTunes, only my iPad 3 which is in another room, far away shows up. The others not at all.

There is still a bug in iOS and it is probably related to the whole Wifi connection problem.

Come on Apple, get this fixed!

iTunes does not see iOS8 devices over wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.