Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No incoming message sound when locked - iPhone 6, iOS 8

Hi All...

I've been trying to find an answer to this question, but have yet to resolve it. I have a new iPhone 6 plus. When a new message is received, the screen wakes up and displays the message info, but there is no associated sound. I have a sound set for messages in settings, but it doesn't matter what I choose, it still does not make a sound when an iMessage or text message comes in. The sounds do work when the phone is unlocked. I do not have Do Not Disturb turned on, the volume switch is turned on and the volume is at the top value.

Is this an iOS 8 bug? I've rebooted several times and I've done a soft reset.

Please help! 🙂

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 22, 2014 8:59 AM

189 replies

May 3, 2017 8:48 PM in response to pmshop

The YouTube-turn-up-the-volume-thing is what finally worked for me, thank you for the tip! I had tried everything except restarting as a new phone. I've had my phone for almost 2 years and it's the first time i've noticed it starting to do this--very frustrating to miss texts from friends/family and clients! I just hope it doesn't decide to do it again!

May 3, 2017 9:15 PM in response to GIS_Kid

Well, after I thought I had it fixed, it is alas NOT! The video volume thing only worked once and then it went back to not working. Tried rebooting, tried everything but resetting the phone; which I really don't want to do s it is such a pain. It does seem as though it started happening after the last update, grrrrr.

Dec 15, 2017 12:56 PM in response to GIS_Kid

RESOLVED - I have been having this issue too for several years now. For no specific reasons, I would regularly observe that there was no more text message sound notification (silent switch and Do not Disturb functions were not activated). I would clear the bug by simply rebooting my phone (switch OFF-ON). Today, I tried again to determine the cause of this erractic behavior and I manage to replicate the bug. I can confirm that it is related to the bluetooth. I have a Denon sound system that I have equipped with a Bose bluetooth adapter (optical connection). Earlier this week, I connected to my sound system to listen to Sirius music from an App on my iphone 6. Since then, there was no more text message sound notification. Even if my sound system is turned off and the Sirius App is closed, the phone remained connected to the Bose Bluetooth adaptor. I switched OFF-ON the iphone bluetooth and voila! The Bose bluetooth adaptor was longer connected to the phone and the sound notification of text message went back to normal. I tested one more time to confirm and validated that the same bug occured (no sound), disconnected the bose adaptor from my iphone bluetooth and the notification sound was back.

Sep 23, 2014 6:32 AM in response to GIS_Kid

Just as an update... if you choose a very short sound as your message audio, it will 'sort of' work... a longer sound (like the 'chime') will cut off or not sound at all. After a few more reboots and switching the audio clip back and forth, I have some of the sounds working. It seems to be hit and miss... not sure if this is a bug in iOS 8 or not. Hopefully, someone comes up with an answer.

Sep 23, 2014 6:15 PM in response to paceg0d

Strange... I haven't even used headphones yet, so my issue isn't related to the headphone jack. I wonder if there is a contact 'stuck' inside your jack making the iPhone 'think' it still has headphones plugged in? Other sounds come out of the speaker though? Music etc?

Do your notification sounds not work even when the phone is unlocked, or only when locked?

No incoming message sound when locked - iPhone 6, iOS 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.