Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 Plus, LTE reception issues?

Has anyone else been having issues with mobile reception on the iPhone 6 plus?

I work on a 9th floor surrounded by windows, where I used to get full LTE reception on my iPhone 5S, I now only get 2 bars (dots, whatever) on the iPhone 6 Plus with iOS 8. I have restarted, and reset network settings with no improvement.

I'm hoping an iOS 8 update will address this, but I'm not sure I can wait that long, as less ideal reception areas may drop signal and make the phone unusable. I'll wait a week or so and see about a replacement if it's a problem.

UPDATE: a subsequent reset & restart caused the signal to go up to 4 bars for a couple of minutes, but it is now back down to two again. This is very odd.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8, Fido/Rogers Network in Toronto

Posted on Sep 22, 2014 9:00 AM

55 replies

Mar 23, 2017 9:48 PM in response to Coluch

Have or had this problem tried this weird suggestion power button and home button until power off turn back on at apple logo placed screen down rubbed the back of fone on bed semi hard got the Verizon network back ??? Something is loose inside ? Had no network for three(3) days tried everything next time I'm going in like a surgeon .

Sep 23, 2014 8:16 AM in response to Coluch

I'm experience the same issue. I found that one way to "fix" this issue is by going into Settings-> Cellular-> and turn off the LTE completely. My reception improves instantaneously. However, this is not a fix and I hope that this is a real issue and not the acceptable performance of the phone's antennas, because my iPhone 5s has stronger reception.

Oct 3, 2014 10:03 AM in response to Coluch

After 10 more days of use, I have new information for the discussion:

I updated to iOS 8.0.2 with no apparent change in this issue.

Although I have noted some other characteristics:

1) In areas of my office building where the 5S would not get any data connectivity at all, I am able to get usable data speeds on the 6+, despite the displayed reception being very low (one or two bars). This leads me to believe that the 6+ antenna is superior, and working, when compared to my old 5S.

2) In areas where the 5S had full bars of signal (9th floor corner window office), the 6+ is routinely at 2 bars. This seems to be the norm in most places, although there are times when I do notice the reception is full - usually when I'm in transit / on the road.

I'm starting to think that the issue is software based and the reception is actually better than what is being displayed. I haven't had any dropped calls or connection drops on data. It would be nice if the signal display was more accurate in that case (of if there was a way to know how accurate the display is). Using the signal display alone, it appears that I am always fighting for better signal, when my usage experience would not give me the same impression.

Oct 4, 2014 10:32 AM in response to Coluch

Hello. I am having same issue with iphone6 AT&T. My old iphone 5, while slow, would get reception so I could at least upload stuff in my house. The first two days I had my new phone home it worked BETTER than my old iphone5, but now it just won't load anything. No more internet connectivity at all. New iphone6 just plain doesn't work. I've brought it to the mac store and updated to 8.0.2. With no improvement. Seriously considering getting my money back. I can't get the hours I waited in line for this over hyped wi-fi only tablet back. Not impressed.

Oct 21, 2014 3:16 PM in response to Coluch

Same issue. My Iphone 5 (with a case on) could get consistent LTE and 4G in my office. My Iphone 6 inconsistently gets 4G, let alone LTE. I've talked to AT&T (my service provider) and they said nothing as changed in my area. I've been back to Apple and they swapped out my Iphone 6, but I still have the same issue with the new phone. I barely get any data service in my office. I've noticed in other areas the Iphone 6 is more likely to be on 4G than LTE, whereas my Iphone 5 would always be on LTE.

Also, I have the exact same case for my Iphone 6 that I had for my Iphone 5, with the exception of size since the dimensions are different on the phones. I've tried getting reception in my office with and without the case. No material difference. I believe the issue is with the design of the phone and/or hardware. I don't see how this is a software issue when I had downloaded IOS 8 on my Iphone 5.

Oct 21, 2014 7:54 PM in response to B_ri_123

Good then im NOT going crazy. I used LTE all the time on my 5 (att) and it was lightning fast. Noticed as soon as I got my 6+ that it was... Freakin slow. I was trying to update maybe 20 apps and it took 4 hours. Just downloading Zen Garden took 20 mins. I never used to use wifi & now that's all I'm using. I'm guessing an update will fix it.. Hoping anyway. I'll try turning LTE off & back on as u guys suggest. 😕

if it means anything I haven't had a case on for a cpl days as I've been waiting for my Ghost Armor to completely seal. no difference

Oct 23, 2014 2:52 PM in response to Coluch

My problem is kind of similar. If I'm connected to wifi and leave the area it defaults to 3G. (Sprint). It takes sometimes 15 minutes to change back to LTE in a strong LTE area. If I put it into airplane mode for 10 seconds and then back on it connects to lte instantly. Apple this is unacceptable. It happen when I first got it. But got way worse with 8.1. Happens almost every time now. I was hoping 8.1 was going to fix it.

Nov 18, 2014 12:16 AM in response to Coluch

I travel pretty regularly and ever since switching to the 6 plus, the average reception no matter where I am in the country is only 2 bars. I haven't had any dropped calls, but my voice has cut out from what people on the other end are telling me. I've played with the LTE settings, reset network/all settings/all content and settings, restored from backup, set up as a new iPhone, etc. and it's still the same on both my phone and my wife's 6 plus. Verizon has completed diagnostics from the towers in my home area, and also sent a tech out. They said there weren't any issues with my signal (thus not providing a network extender). Doesn't matter if I"m in the house, or out in the driveway. I have them looking into slow LTE data speeds now. I'm literally only getting 1mb up/down.

My only thought is that this is a software or hardware issue. Especially since both phones have the exact same symptoms. Our old iPhone 5 never had this terrible of a signal. Until I hear back from Verizon about the data issue. I'm going to see if I can get a new sim card from them (sim was already installed when purchasing from apple), and if that doesn't work, I'm going to the apple store to swap both phones for new ones. I'm all out of options. I was pretty excited to get a new phone and now IDGAF. I'd rather go back to my old iphone with a better signal. Apple has really let me down on this last release.

Dec 15, 2014 10:30 PM in response to B_ri_123

Thanks for everybody's suggestions. I am in NZ and have also been having reception problems. Reception is normally pretty marginal where I live but I pretty much cannot get any with my iPhone 6. I have rebooted, reset factory settings, stood on one leg reaching as high as I can with my right eye closed and tongue sticking out the left side of my mouth while balancing my iPhone precariously in an arabesque like posture pointing to the gods while praying ....all on my non-dominant foot..... nup - the reception still no good. My phone may have to take the long boat back to China and as much as it pains me, my next phone might be argghhhhh, vomit, cuss, weep.... be Samsung.

iPhone 6 Plus, LTE reception issues?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.