Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2014 Subaru Outback Pairing Bluetooth IOS 8, iPhone 6

I cannot get my iPhone 6 with IOS 8 to work properly with my cars Bluetooth option. The phone pairs correctly but will not dial out over the car speakers and I'm unable to answer incoming calls.

Anyone else having this problem?

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 22, 2014 11:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2014 11:16 PM

I have the same paring issue with a 2012 Subaru Forester, iPhone 6 Plus, IOS8.

65 replies

Sep 23, 2014 7:49 PM in response to cr3x

There area number of threads about this very same issue for different cars on various forums for the iPhone 6 and 6 plus. I can get my 6 plus pair with the stereo on my 2014 Crosstrek hybrid easy enough, but once paired, it is almost impossible to get it to reconnect after turning the car off without deleting the device on the stereo and pairing once again.

I have spoken with Apple customer support, and a higher level technical support person too, who is very helpful, but at this point all they are suggesting is restoring my iPhone through iTunes (i.e. a "nuke and pave" for the iOS). The Apple tech seems to think that there may be a problem with the version of iOS on my phone, and that a fresh re-install of the os will help. I am willing to give this a try, but I can't get the os to download without timing out or taking so long that I have to go to bed.

Sep 24, 2014 5:51 AM in response to markscsu

Well, bluetooth connectivity has returned. I had some time last night, so I started going through some easy troubleshooting steps.

First, I tried connecting with my wife's iPhone 6, and it worked perfectly. So I knew it wasn't an OS issue. Next I disconnected the battery in my car to reset the stereo. Connected my phone with the same result as before. It showed some kind of false phone call, essentially locking up the unit. Next, I made sure I had a current iCloud backup, then restored my phone to new. Once restored to new, it connected as it should. Back in my house, I restored from my iCloud backup. Once up and running again, I tested in the car, and it worked just fine. Seems like there was some kind of leftover garbage from my previous phone or connection in the profile.

So ya, nuke the phone and restore from a backup. It worked for me! That said, There's obviously a bug causing the initial issue, so I hope it gets resolved in 8.0.1.

Thanks all!

Sep 27, 2014 5:12 AM in response to markscsu

I have a 2013 XV Crosstrek & had similar problems

I stumbled upon this forum post which solved my issues

The key piece I missed was the secondary delete of my old phone using the talk button

"I deleted the audio player from the head unit Bluetooth menu then deleted the phone by using the Talk button on the steering wheel. I also changed my iPhone name in Settings>General>About and reconnected the iPhone using the steering wheel Talk button and adding the new iPhone as an Audio Player via the head unit."

Sep 27, 2014 1:56 PM in response to Steinagle

Steinagle's fix worked for me. I have a 2013 Subaru Crosstrek.

I had initially deleted my iPhone 5 profile when setting up my iPhone 6. Like everyone else, I started having Bluetooth issues.

Updating to iOS 8.0.2 did not help.

It turns out that the old phone profile was deleted in the stereo but not completely deleted in the system. You'll notice that when you go and delete from the steering wheel, the old iPhone profile still exists. Once that old profile is deleted you can register your new iPhone properly.

One other thing I noticed is that when skipping a song on the iPhone 6 via car's Bluetooth, there is no longer an audible tone confirmation.

2014 Subaru Outback Pairing Bluetooth IOS 8, iPhone 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.