Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 Plus - Require Passcode Immediately Only?

On my old iPhone 5, running iOS 8.0, there are three options under "Require Passcode": "Immediately", "After 1 minute" and "After 5 minutes".

However, on my new iPhone 6 Plus, only the option "Immediately" is showing up. I do not want to input my passcode or use the fingerprint reader all the time, and I prefer to have a delay before the phone locks up. Why are the other two options missing? What is going on?

Thank you.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8, 128 GB, White/Silver

Posted on Sep 22, 2014 4:54 PM

45 replies

Feb 8, 2017 3:11 AM in response to slajerek

slajerek wrote:

This is completely not true,

How is his opinion "not true"? It's an opinion.

TouchId is slow and has problems.

It is very quick and has zero problarms. Please do not spread untrue rumors.

Due to not having option to use TouchId after 15 mins I always have this "feature" off, in my opinion this is waste of money.

Okay. Good for you.

Feb 8, 2017 5:46 AM in response to Chris CA

It is very quick and has zero problarms. Please do not spread untrue rumors.

First of all, stating that something is perfect and has zero problems in IT confirms that your origins are not from IT, and you are not using this feature heavily. There are moments that I need to access my iPhone several times in just few minutes - that means for example 10 times in 2 minutes. And waiting 2 seconds just to access phone to have TouchID recognise finger is slow for me. Of course - you're right that it is fast in general considering nowadays technology, but it is not fast enough. Accessing iPhone without TouchID takes zero seconds delay, accessing with TouchID is 2 seconds delay, 2 seconds multiplied by 10 is 20 seconds delay, not just zero or minimal. Possibility to access phone without passphrase/TouchID within 15 minutes is total zero delay, in opposite of total 20 seconds delay - is that clear?

And yes, TouchID has problems, especially outside during bad weather - snow or rain is problematic and makes overall use of TouchID frustrating.

Blocking possibility to temporarily switch off TouchID for 15 minutes after first use (as it is with passphrase) is simply speaking a serious UX issue.

Feb 8, 2017 3:50 PM in response to slajerek

slajerek wrote:

First of all, stating that something is perfect and has zero problems

Uh, where did I state it was perfect and had zero problems?

in IT confirms that your origins are not from IT, and you are not using this feature heavily.

???

I type on it all the time. Heavy usage.

If you don't want to use touchID, why not simply turn it off?

Sep 26, 2014 1:39 PM in response to ryanusa

I'm not sure what the reasoning is, and we cannot speculate here on the forum, but with Touch ID activated, I can get in the phone just as fast as if I was to swipe from the lock screen. I believe it might have something to do with enhancing security by locking the phone all of the time, but that is only my opinion. Again, this is subjective, but I find no disadvantage to unlocking that way, it is just a quick. As long as you have sent feedback, right now that is the best you can do.

Sep 26, 2014 2:29 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thank you for the response, Chris. Agreed that it seems to be a security feature, but I do wish Apple would leave decisions such as this up to the end user.

I hit the lock button each time I put the phone in my pocket or set it down, etc, to turn the screen off and conserve battery life. When a new event comes in, I swipe it to go right to that app and deal with it. Moving my thumb back down to the home button every time I do this is irritating. I know it only takes a few seconds, but I may respond to 100 or more events per day. This really adds up and is definitely slowing me down.

I realize I can disable Touch ID to get my passcode timeout settings back, but I absolutely love the Touch ID feature and upgraded from my 5 in large part because of it. Hopefully Apple will listen, as I'm far from the only one irritated by this.

Oct 2, 2014 1:40 PM in response to Michael9009

It takes some getting used to, but if you want to have touch ID enabled to unlock, if you just push the home button and leave your verified print there, it will unlock to your home screen almost immediately. It is nearly the same as not having the pass code option even enabled. Having said that, I do wish the timeout options were still there even with touch ID enabled.

Oct 2, 2014 3:35 PM in response to KNASH78

if you just push the home button and leave your verified print there, it will unlock to your home screen almost immediately.

Right, that's the problem: It unlocks to the home screen (or last used app). If you want to unlock directly into an app to respond to a notification, you have to swipe the notification on the lock screen, then move your finger down to the home button or enter your password to authenticate, every single time. It's fine if you haven't used the phone in awhile (good security practice), but when responding to multiple events repeatedly it gets very old, very fast.

I've been unlocking to home every time, then manually navigating to the app that generated the notification. It's not ideal but it works.

iPhone 6 Plus - Require Passcode Immediately Only?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.