Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Settings app crashes when managing stored Music (iTunes Match)

Since upgrading to iOS8 I haven't been able to see the expandable view you get by heading into Settings > Usage > Manage Storage > Music. As soon as I tap "Music", the settings app crashes.

It's not harware related because it happened on my iPhone 5S and now on my 6.

So far I've tried:

1. Restoring device with iCloud Backup / iTunes Backup

2. Restoring + setting as a new device

3. Restarted phone countless times, closing all the apps in the background, etc

4. Called Apple. The rep just didn't know how to help me.

I've checked on other people's phones with iTunes Match and their phones do not crash like mine. I'm assuming this problem is Apple account related. Any clues?

I bought a 64gb phone to store most of my music using Match, but now I can't manage it. The only hope I have right now is to wait until Apple magically fixes it with an upcoming iOS update.

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 22, 2014 7:39 PM

53 replies

Oct 1, 2014 9:12 AM in response to AlumarX

i too am having this issue. iPhone5S 64GB

I had approx 14GB of music sync'd with iTunes Matched turned on...to free up space I wanted to delete everything on there.

went to settings and usage etc...kept crashing..not willing to do a restore yet...as I am using icloud photo library and dont want to lose any of my 5000 photos

when iTunes Match is off there is approx 400 songs that stay on my phone even after disabling the sync of music in iTunes.

tried signing out of all my itunes accounts for all the apps store and itunes sections---still not working

so going through deleting one at a time. this is proving to be very tedious

Oct 1, 2014 9:35 AM in response to Nyk0n

***update

Found it much easier and faster to manually delete by album, and Artist just left swipe the album of the rogue songs and tap Delete

What I think happened was while using Match I had downloaded some songs(back in the iOS 7 days), when I went to my mac to sync it was out of sync with what downloaded via the cloud...my thoughts anyways.

Oct 1, 2014 12:21 PM in response to AlumarX

After trying every solution on the internet I may have fixed this in 8.0.2 and itunes 11.4.0.18 without deleting everything. I think it was related to my moving .m4a files around that I'd downloaded with Match to get non DRM copies. I'd see songs and albums skip on iphone leaving red squares, and usage->music would crash every time. Now it dioes not crash and still have not seen any missing music

This is approximate:

- signed out of icould and itunes on iphone

- deleted every .m4p and .m4a music file under my music directory on pc (moved them actually)

- moved everything else to new subdir called mp3 - about 11k files in all, all non-apple mp3, .wavs etc that I ripped from my CDs

- shift double click to start itunes and create a new library IN A DIRECTORY OTHER THAN THE MP3s

- under preferences->advanced changed my media library to that new directory

- logged in to itunes using itunes PC app, downloaded all the music I had ever purchased, about 500 songs.

- (note I have not imported other mp3 yet)

- connected the phone, quickly hit music tab and selected sync all music

- synced the phone. It complained that it was synced elsewhere, said yes to erase and start anew. now have the 500 itunes songs installed

- imported mp3s with add directory to library, wait an hour for import

- sync the phone again, now 11k songs on phone (I have 128GB 6 so did not downconvert, takes about 2 hours)

- go to settings->usage->music and no crashes, though it takes 30 seconds to load. Have not seen skipped music so far....

Settings app crashes when managing stored Music (iTunes Match)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.